PDA

View Full Version : Air Stone Cycling

ChimolaFish
04/21/2014, 10:03 AM
Hey, All,

Will running an air stone in addition to all the rest of your equipment help cycle a tank faster? The bacteria that helps start a cycle is aerobic, so it makes sense to me that it would help, but my lfs (which is a pretty good business with trustworthy people) didn't seem to think it would matter. At the very least, it won't cause any bad things, right?

This is a 29 gallon standard, btw, that will be FOWLR (started with dry rock). I'm not running a skimmer, just a 55gallon rated Fluval Aquaclear Filter. Right now the ammonia is finally going down, but the Nitrites and Nitrates are pretty high. I plan on letting the nitrites fall to zero and then doing a water change to bring the nitrates in line. Then I'll add my first fish.

disc1
04/21/2014, 10:42 AM
I doubt it will make things go any faster but it certainly won't hurt anything.

Mr. Limpid
04/21/2014, 10:48 AM
Basically you are waiting for the reproduction of bacteria so it can consume more food. You can not speed up nature.

4Hummer
04/21/2014, 11:10 AM
I used an air stone when cycling my tank. Don't know if it helped or not. But can't hurt.

Turning the Temp up to 85, and Air stone was what was advised to me

6 week cycle on a 125 Gallon tank.

bertoni
04/21/2014, 01:27 PM
If the tank has a good skimmer, it's very unlikely that an airstone will help. Good flow and keeping the water surface rippling probably is enough, too.

ChimolaFish
04/21/2014, 08:11 PM
If the tank has a good skimmer, it's very unlikely that an airstone will help. Good flow and keeping the water surface rippling probably is enough, too.

I'm not running a skimmer. Most of my money is going to my reef and this was just a little project tank for only a couple hardy fish and a shrimp. Planning weekly water changes with a good aquaclear filter.

bertoni
04/22/2014, 12:08 AM
Okay, the airstone might help. I'd try using powerheads and keeping the surface rippling. That likely will be enough. Airstones can be messy, but if you're not seeing a problem, no harm done.