PDA

View Full Version : Raising Cal, Alk, and Mg before dosing pump

clownishgambino
04/21/2014, 04:06 PM
Hey I was wondering what the best way to raise my parameters before setting up the dosing pump was.

Some info about my tank if that helps
57g display
30g sump, around half full, estimate total volume ~75g
TEK 6bulb t5
Seaside aquatics ES7 (same as BM Curve7)
Aquamaxx biopellet reactor running 1/3 recommended of Dr Tim's Pearls
Refugium takes up half the sump
WP-25
Autotopoff.com ATO

My current numbers look like this

sg 1.025-1.026
Ca 390
Alk 7.0 dKH
Mg 1100
-All with salifert

I do 10 gallon water change every 5-7 days, with REEF CRYSTALS and test a little bit afterwards. Haven't tested the new saltwater itself but parameters have been consistent with above for the last few water changes.

Wanting to get them in this range, then sustain it for an SPS dominant tank

Ca 440-460
Alk 12-12.5 dKH
Mg 1350-1400

I picked up a BM-t01 doser the other day along with a lot of dry BRS cal/alk/mg recipes (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/instructions/article/Instructions-for-Prepackaged-Kits) from another local reefer and wanted to know how I should start the initial dose.

I realize I should take it slow, especially the alk. How much should I raise each number each day? Should I use the dosing pumps to start to raise the numbers or can I do it by hand like the BRS calculator says.

What I was planning was raising the cal up in about 2 days, while using the dosing pump. 460 minus 390 is 70 so I divided that by 2 to get 35. In order to raise the calcium 35ppm I would need 268.6 mL of solution. So I was planning on setting up the doser to dose 270 mL for the first day, divided up into 24 smaller doses, and again the same thing on the second day. I realized some of the calcium will be used up in that time so it may not be 460 after the two days so I would need to make only minor adjustments at that point.

As for the Alk, I didnt want to raise it any more than 1.0 kDH per day (please let me know if even that is too fast so I can slow it down some more). BRS calculator states I need 53.5 mL of solution to raise dKH 1.0. Similar to calcium I planned on dosing 53.5 mL a day but spread out in 24 doses, for 5 days until it is close to 12-12.5.

As for magnesium I read different answers as to how fast the levels can be adjusted. Some people have said they poured an entire bottle of an Mg supplement with no ill effects so I plan on getting up to my target Mg in a similar time frame as cal, 2 days, raising Mg by around 150 a day. It seems to take a large amount of juice to raise the Mg, 900 mL to raise it 150 ppm, does that seem right? To raise it from 1100 to 1400 would take around half a gallon of solution, which is annoying since I'll have to keep an eye on salinity/adjust top off.

Of course I plan on testing every day during this, possibly multiple times a day if necessary but does this sound like a good plan? Thanks in advance

bertoni
04/21/2014, 11:54 PM
FWIW, I probably would raise the magnesium to 1275, the canonical ocean average, but the other numbers are okay as is. You can raise the alkalinity 1 dKH per day, or even more, and 100 ppm for the other parameters. I'd go for 50 ppm unless I was very sure of the tank volume.