PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good deal

law67
04/21/2014, 07:05 PM
A sales person quoted me the following price. Is this a good deal?

Marineland corner-flow (pre-drilled) tank, 120 gal $417
Size 48 x 24 x 24 in, overflow plumbing kit included

Marineland Monterey aquarium stand $595
Marineland Monterey aquarium canopy $305

6% sales tax included.

anbosu
04/21/2014, 07:23 PM
The price on the tank seems ok - not sure about the stand and canopy, but you can probably find prices listed online.

tylr9m482
04/21/2014, 08:04 PM
The price on the tank seems to be decent, not exactly a deal but your not getting beat up either. As far as the stand and canopy go, I enjoy building my own. You get exactly the look you want, and can build it specifically to your own needs/desires. Plus it usually comes out half as expensive after all is said and done.

alb_56
04/21/2014, 08:08 PM
i enjoy building my own. You get exactly the look you want, and can build it specifically to your own needs/desires. Plus it usually comes out half as expensive after all is said and done.

+1

hijinks
04/21/2014, 08:10 PM
The price on the tank seems to be decent, not exactly a deal but your not getting beat up either. As far as the stand and canopy go, I enjoy building my own. You get exactly the look you want, and can build it specifically to your own needs/desires. Plus it usually comes out half as expensive after all is said and done.

Of course that assumes you have all the tools already to make a quality stand

law67
04/21/2014, 08:29 PM
To make a nice stand, not just the tools are needed. I need experience in wood crafting/making.

Marineland has different model (Majesty model) which is actually painted wood panels and the price is only half. The above model (Monterey) has a rail on the side so that you can slide the side panels out.

tylr9m482
04/21/2014, 09:21 PM
To make a nice stand, not just the tools are needed. I need experience in wood crafting/making.

Marineland has different model (Majesty model) which is actually painted wood panels and the price is only half. The above model (Monterey) has a rail on the side so that you can slide the side panels out.

This is true. While I am no master carpenter, I did have enough basic skills and design insight to create what I wanted to accomplish. (A little help from my old man helped get me off my feet as well :lolspin: ). All the tools we used were a table saw, chop saw and power drill for the most part. But if these aren't available to you or you don't think you will be happy with what you produce then by all means find a stand that you like and buy it. I am simply just exploring your options and wish you the best of luck with your new set up!

davocean
04/22/2014, 08:37 AM
That is an average deal, I'm sure many suppliers can do about the same.
I usually do a search here for recent feedback and experiences w/ any manufacturer before making a decision, and i think you may want to check recent comments on marineland, as they seem to be having some issues.