PDA

View Full Version : Internal Overflow

MacWilliams
04/22/2014, 05:44 AM
Have searched BRS / MarineDepot and i cant find overflows for bottom drilled tanks. All I see are overflows for back drilled tanks. Anyone know where i can find an overflow for a 30" tall tank? Preferably for the back and not a corner overflow. Thank you.

ca1ore
04/22/2014, 08:21 AM
I have never seen them for sale. You could contact a tank manufacturer to see it they sell them through LFS as replacement parts, though when I got a new reef ready tank with a cracked weir they replaced the tank rather than just the overflow. I suspect otherwise you may have to make your own out of glass or acrylic.

MacWilliams
04/22/2014, 08:35 AM
Thats what i was afraid of. I will have to do a little more research on how to get this done. Any advice on that or links would be great.

Cymonous
04/22/2014, 08:47 AM
Can you just get a sheet of plastic or acrylic, cut it, heat it to form, cut the weir and attach it?

ca1ore
04/22/2014, 08:54 AM
Thats what i was afraid of. I will have to do a little more research on how to get this done. Any advice on that or links would be great.

I don't know of any links, though there are lots of folks here who have probably done it. Many years ago I built an internal box out of 1/2" plate glass, siliconed in place and then 'skinned' with 1/8" black acrylic. Worked fine and lasted over ten years. I would not personally use just acrylic as it doesn't adhere well to glass and has a high potential for catastrophic failure. If you check out the glasscages website, they might actually be willing to sell you the glass pieces and acrylic cover, though you would have to glue it all in place yourself.

Do you have the tank already and it's drilled? If not, just buy one that comes reef ready.

MacWilliams
04/22/2014, 08:56 AM
I'll attempt to contact a manufacturer first and stop by the LFS we have here and see if i can obtain one. Then I'll see if i can make one myself. Tho I dont even know where to start with creating one. Lol.