PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Flame

Griznock
04/22/2014, 07:23 PM
any one know how to get this stuff to attach its self to an item? i have a sump full of this stuff but cant get it to attach to rock..

btreyes
04/23/2014, 04:03 PM
Cable ties or rubberbands to a piece of liverock rubble seem to work the best for people. Be careful though, b/c you don't want it too tight. Also be careful if you have a seahare or turbos, I've had a bunch prefer to eat it over my other macros.

Pdxile
04/23/2014, 07:55 PM
Halymenia? If you have a lot will you sell me some? Will you PM me?

Trigger 180
05/19/2014, 02:36 PM
I have 2 frags of dragons breath about 2 weeks ago. I just rubber-banded them to a couple of loose rocks and let them grow. I made sure that the rubber bands were as loose as I could, and still keep them bound. here's a couple pics:

Griznock
06/07/2014, 10:18 AM
yea thats nice..i was wondering how to make them root to the rock..guess u cant

SantaMonica
06/07/2014, 07:35 PM
Such nice color on those.

tektite
06/10/2014, 02:29 PM
yea thats nice..i was wondering how to make them root to the rock..guess u cant

Correct, it will not attach to the rockwork on its own.

GT350pwns
06/11/2014, 09:57 AM
Mine basically disintegrated :( Don't think my lighting is sufficient enough.

Boom
06/14/2014, 06:01 AM
Mine basically disintegrated :( Don't think my lighting is sufficient enough.

I don't have my dragon's breath in very intense light- a 14w CFL- but I did notice it respond to dosing calcium, magnesium and potassium. I kept my spent GFO in the sump and stir it occasionally. I haven't had to dose iron since I picked up that little trick on this forum:dance:

Saltliquid
06/14/2014, 07:08 AM
I stitch it with needle and fin nylon onto the bits of rock.

Fallling
06/14/2014, 03:28 PM
Large frag I picked up from another local reefer is attached to a frag plug with epoxy. This is a really nice sized piece... don't know if it works for smaller frags.

afqu
06/15/2014, 06:39 AM
any one know how to get this stuff to attach its self to an item? i have a sump full of this stuff but cant get it to attach to rock..

I had a nice large piece that I accidently broke, and before reading that gluing may kill it, I glued (super glue gel) a few small pieces to small rocks. It is growing just fine. I now have bunches all over my DT.

swk
06/15/2014, 09:33 AM
John at reef cleaners told me super glue it to some rubble

tektite
06/15/2014, 09:37 AM
Superglue works over the short term, but eventually the algae encased in the glue will die and the algae will break free.

swk
06/15/2014, 10:28 AM
Superglue works over the short term, but eventually the algae encased in the glue will die and the algae will break free.

Ahhhh. Thanks for the info. Wouldn't have done that had I known.

afqu
06/15/2014, 10:57 AM
Ahhhh. Thanks for the info. Wouldn't have done that had I known.

Me to. Mine are all pretty large now, so will do something different-rubber bands or thread or___?.
Thanks.

GT350pwns
06/15/2014, 01:51 PM
I don't have my dragon's breath in very intense light- a 14w CFL- but I did notice it respond to dosing calcium, magnesium and potassium. I kept my spent GFO in the sump and stir it occasionally. I haven't had to dose iron since I picked up that little trick on this forum:dance:

I've got no dosing and a single bulb t8. I don't think I could grow hair algae if I wanted to lol

swk
06/15/2014, 01:54 PM

What do you keep the gfo in with this application?

afqu
06/15/2014, 08:14 PM

Is dragon flame, dragon's breath, and flame tipped dragon's breath all the same thing? I purchased what was called dragon's breath, but I have fairly intense lighting, and it now has fluorescent orange tips......would this now be flame tipped dragon's breath? I am fairly new to the macros.

tektite
06/15/2014, 08:19 PM
Yes, they're all the macroalgae Halymenia. Usually they refer to the orange tipped Halymenia, though dragon's breath is also sometimes used to refer to the solid red Halymenia.

Boom
06/15/2014, 10:53 PM
In the original media bag. I distributed three quarters of it out my tank and my tubs outside for my phytoplankton. I'll try to post a pic in a second.

Boom
06/16/2014, 02:10 AM
I have pics but I haven't figured out how to post them on Tapatalk!

Boom
06/17/2014, 05:26 AM
Ok see if this comes up http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/17/muquryqa.jpg

Boom
06/17/2014, 05:34 AM
And this should be the media bag pic. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/17/uneqyhyj.jpg

Boom
06/17/2014, 05:48 AM
This is the overflow into my DT sump. It's bare bottom except for some of the GFO that escaped into the corner. I'm really enjoying this dragon breath/flame.."a rose by any other name would smell as sweet". I'm helping one of my LFS owners grow it so eventually it has to leave my care. If he doesn't already know how to mount it , I will give him all your suggestions.

doctor rick
06/19/2014, 03:02 AM
your links don't work for me :idea: but i copied and pasted them into a new tab and the images are nice :rollface: - the stuff in-tank looks really good - thanks!

Boom
08/18/2014, 02:17 AM
Hey guys. Any updates on results using superglue vs epoxy vs rubber bands or nylon thread? I'm about ready to mount a little frag I got to keep for my efforts. I re-read this thread and realized that -results over time- would be the deciding factor for me. Any input would be great.

swk
08/18/2014, 09:16 AM
What I have is byrothamnion from reef cleaners. The glued pieces have held up just fine with no die off. I super glued some to plugs and tied some to rubble with fishing line and both have grown exactly the same fwiw

tektite
08/18/2014, 09:35 AM
Can't compare bryothamnion to dragon's flame, very very different macroalgae. Bryothamnion does quite well being superglued, as its so stiff and rough textured.

Fallling
08/18/2014, 10:06 AM
I did some trimming on both my dragon's flame and bryothamnion this weekend. The bryothamion super glues well... I was actually trimming an old piece I had super glued a few months ago to a frag plug. I did a combination of superglue and epoxy on the dragon's flame. The dragon's flame seems much more sensitive to the superglue. For one of the frags, I glued several smaller pieces together with a lot of superglue (to hold all the pieces together) and covered with a bit of epoxy. Many of the pieces turned orange at the base and broke off the next day. The larger frag I used a small amount of superglue but put a lot more epoxy over the top and it seems to be doing better than the other. The original frag of dragon's flame I have is epoxied and has held up great since getting it a few months ago, hence needing to trim it.

reelredfish
08/31/2014, 11:18 PM
So Do yall trim this and instead of throwing it away do you feed it to tangs or what?

I had some of this at one time and would like to find a small frag of it once again.

afqu
09/03/2014, 05:56 PM
I had a peice of Dragons breath about 2+ inches long and maybe 1/2" wide. I used super glue gel. It got to be about the size of half a softball and from the swaying current it broke off. Tiny pieces that had broken off I also glued them to rubble and nothing has "died" they seem to brake off if current is too strong.

tektite
09/04/2014, 12:55 PM
The whole algae piece doesn't die, its the part that's encased in the superglue that dies off, and the algae breaks free as nothing is holding it any more. Using a zip tie is best as it doesn't kill the anchored part of the algae. Superglue may work for a time, but isn't a long term anchor solution.

reelredfish
09/04/2014, 01:06 PM
Checked today as for I have been running my son's tank lights out now for several months while I completed the 180 in wall. The dragons breath is still alive. While its only about a half in long. With lights going it should come right back. I had to trim the heck out of it in his tank it grew so fast.

I bought it about a year ago it was attached with epoxy and is still that way today. I had fragged a couple pieces with super glue gel and it did as yall mention died inside the glue and broke off.

So the epoxy has let it hang on all this time so not sure what cause it to not break off.

Saltliquid
09/05/2014, 07:31 AM
I grow them from what I call blisters, it is much harder this way but it gives me 100 percent success and endless amounts of new growth, but you need to know Halymenia and ocean life styles to do it this way.
Plus i am a horticulturalist by trade, so it’s not that hard, lol.
I make the growth from similar ways as to land plants.
First up I make them produce these blisters then proper gate like you would with morphs.
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss69/SEQdivespots/hal1s_zps11a7e504.jpg

Growth from blisters.
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss69/SEQdivespots/hal2s_zps08f8d23a.jpg

Multiple blisters placed and attached on rock then new growth.
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss69/SEQdivespots/aaa-halymenia-juv-_zps867aa9a1.jpg

New blisters with good growth in strong light.
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss69/SEQdivespots/hal3s_zps7c0b5832.jpg

Weak growth from these blisters with low light.
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss69/SEQdivespots/aaa-juv-halymenia-_zps09fda740.jpg

Fallling
09/05/2014, 10:40 AM
liquidg, is there a secret to getting the blisters to form? The large colony I had all grew from just the one blister attached to rock, making it really difficult to try and frag when it got big. Also, how do you remove the new growth blister and attach it to a new rock?

Saltliquid
09/05/2014, 09:52 PM
liquidg, is there a secret to getting the blisters to form? The large colony I had all grew from just the one blister attached to rock, making it really difficult to try and frag when it got big. Also, how do you remove the new growth blister and attach it to a new rock?

I will do up a thread on it all when I get a chance.

ferret
09/07/2014, 10:09 AM
Are the 'Blisters" you named collected at the fronds after the plant has reached certain period of growth? I've doing something similar by cutting the blisters from another type of Halymenia algae and glued to a pc. of rubble and it ends up in growing another new plant.

Boom
09/08/2014, 08:28 AM
I will do up a thread on it all when I get a chance.
I can't wait:)

Fallling
09/08/2014, 10:10 AM
i can't wait:)

+ 1

Saltliquid
09/13/2014, 06:25 AM
This is one of my newly propagated Halymenia with a new shoot just three days old. It’s approximately 3 mill in total size.
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss69/SEQdivespots/haly-blister-_zpsc444b8b7.jpg