PDA

View Full Version : Fill er up!

Justletters7
04/23/2014, 07:22 PM
So I was wondering what I would have to do if I filled my aquarium with tap water. My budget is to limited for me to purchase a RO/DI filter.
I am still bouncing around on the tank and sump size. I know for certain it will between a 29 gal and 40 gal DT and the sump will have a 30 gal refugium.
Thanks for your help!

MinnFish
04/23/2014, 07:25 PM
What about buying from your LFS? Have you tested the tap water?

Teenreefer15
04/23/2014, 07:28 PM
I use tap water too. Many people say its a big nono which it is but depending on where you live and how good your towns water is will determine whether its okay or not. If you have an older house too, I've heard of copper pipes which is not good either. You must run your water through an RO system to get rid of copper. Also chlorine is an issue which an RO system will remove too. I will leave a list of a lower cost but great RO System.

I am about to purchase this because if its great reviews and price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004N7QUXW/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2WB85U7KGWL9Q

Many people in the reviews say it leaves there water with 0 TDS which is great for its price. I've know people how spend upwards of $5000 and can't get there TDS below 50. This is also a decent GPD rate.

Justletters7
04/23/2014, 07:44 PM
I have only three Pet Stores in town all do not offer water. I don't know if this makes a difference but we do have a soft water system.
Thanks for the quick replies!

MinnFish
04/23/2014, 08:03 PM
Would you put this in your tank?
http://mn-stpaul.civicplus.com/DocumentCenter/View/72474
Check to see if your city supply a monthly report. Most cities I have lived or visit. I will not let the water touch my lips. I now drink from a water source that is dated 30,000+ yrs old, no chemicals added or treated.

toku58
04/23/2014, 10:04 PM
Buy this!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380341933047?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Justletters7
04/24/2014, 08:59 AM
So it looks like there is no safe way to use tap water other than having it go through a RO/DI I'll add one to my list.

Xavibear
04/24/2014, 09:33 AM
Tap water will only cause you problems down the road.

sponger0
04/24/2014, 10:03 AM
Why risk using tap water??? So many problems can come from it. If the money isnt there right now for an RODI unit then get RODI from a LFS or wait til you can buy the RODI unit

intyme
04/24/2014, 12:00 PM
My lfs told me to fill it with tap, then make the switch to rodi water. That will buy you some time too

Xavibear
04/24/2014, 12:33 PM
My lfs told me to fill it with tap, then make the switch to rodi water. That will buy you some time too

Bad advice!

swclown
04/24/2014, 12:39 PM
I agree with most. This is bad idea. 25 years ago I used just a "regular" filter and when I switched to RO it was like night and day.No more hair algae!!
I have heard of people on well water that did ok but most municipal water won't be good.
At minimum I would buy a TDS meter ($10) to measure how much "stuff" you have in your tap water. If you decide to get a RO filter you will want it anyway to determine when the RO filter is losing its filtering capacity.

Just an FYI: with my tap water the TDS reading before RO is anywhere from 150-250 and after RO it's 0. My house is really old with old plumbing but I think you will see simaler readings.

shermanator
04/24/2014, 12:49 PM

This will cause you much headache trying to get all the minerals that will embed into the rock.

There really is no reason to not get an RODI unit. Even a cheap one from BRS is totally worth it. Even ignoring corals, you'll have hundreds of dollars worth of livestock in the tank. Compared to everything else, the RODI unit is a very minor expense.

Kirkwood77
04/24/2014, 12:55 PM
can you find someone in your area with a LARGE SPS tank and ask if you can have their water change water?? I know I could use my SPS system trash water to as the new water change water on an LPS, zoa, softy, or FOWLR setup. I pour water down the drain with perfect levels.

if RODI cost is an issue starting up with a new tank is only going to further drain your pockets. Most of us know that we need to take any estimate for a new build and multiply it by 2. Something unforseen always pops up.

DaveWJunior
04/24/2014, 07:53 PM
^^^ +1 on that idea. Find some local reefers. Be at their house on water change day with some foodsafe water jugs. I toss about 20 gallons of "good" water down the drain every week. It may not be perfect water, but certainly better than tap water.

cloak
04/24/2014, 08:15 PM
I would fill it up with tap water. Who knows, you might be one of the lucky ones... RO/DI might be the best bet, but you'll never know about your tap water unless you test it, or USE it. RO/DI is definitely not the save all/end all to all the problems that can go wrong in a reef tank... If you ever come back with a hair algae/cyno problem, (RO/DI) don't say you haven't been warned... JMO. GL. ;)

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2004/1/chemistry

EllisJuan
04/25/2014, 02:26 AM
can you find someone in your area with a LARGE SPS tank and ask if you can have their water change water?? I know I could use my SPS system trash water to as the new water change water on an LPS, zoa, softy, or FOWLR setup. I pour water down the drain with perfect levels.

if RODI cost is an issue starting up with a new tank is only going to further drain your pockets. Most of us know that we need to take any estimate for a new build and multiply it by 2. Something unforseen always pops up.

This is a good idea. I pour 10 gallons of water down the drain every week that is better than a lot of people have ever had in their system.