PDA

View Full Version : closed loop variable flow options

bfin3
04/23/2014, 10:09 PM
I've heard about a couple things in the past but can't find anything on equipment other than oceans motions that give you variable flow from a closed loop. Are there any more recent devices?

acesq
04/23/2014, 10:12 PM
I use DC pumps on my closed loop, each pump supplies separate outlets. I ramp them up and down independently using the variable speed ports on an Apex.

ca1ore
04/24/2014, 07:19 AM
There is also an updated oceans motions type device, something like a flowfox if memory serves, with a built in controller. Very expensive though.

bfin3
04/24/2014, 08:09 PM
I looked up flowfox and found flowwolf. Memory served you close. They look really nice I might go with that. Putting variable speed dc pumps all over doesn't sound like a bad idea but the only really reliable ones out right now seem to be red dragons and I don't want to buy more than one of those at the price. Really want to just get a big one and the flowwolf and I think that would do a nice job. The flowwolf doesn't seem like a good option for tanks over 150 gallons but I think it will serve my purposes well for the build I am planning right now.

acesq
04/24/2014, 10:03 PM
Take a look at the Blue Eco DC pumps. So far I am very happy with mine. Tons of flow, up to 4000 gph, controllable and quiet. I'm sure the Red Dragons are better made, but they still haven't released the 240w version to compete with the Blue ecos. The only other viable DC pump is the Abyzz. By far the best one out, but the cost was prohibitive for me.

bfin3
04/24/2014, 10:33 PM
The abyzz looks really nice but the price is quite hefty, although with a ten year warranty it may actually be a smart buy when it comes down to it. Blue eco looks nice too, seems like pairing one of those or a red dragon with the 6 outlet flow wolf would be a great option for me since my tank will probably only be a bit over 100 gallons.

ca1ore
04/25/2014, 07:16 AM
I looked up flowfox and found flowwolf. Memory served you close. They look really nice I might go with that.

Hah, same general family of animal at least. FWIW, oceans motions is still semi-active as a company and they are available again (because I bought one :)).

bfin3
04/25/2014, 04:11 PM
I actually have a new oceans motions that I haven't set up yet but I've been hearing the support has been lacking recently and thought I'd see what my other options would be. The flowwolf seems to be more versatile, have continuing support and development, and is expensive but really not outrageous for just one unit. 6 outlets would also probably be ideal for what I want to do.

NewMariner
04/25/2014, 06:22 PM
Im doing some last minute research on my closed loop pump. Tank is 478 gallons... I have 2 2" drains for the closed loop. I was thinking of getting one barracuda/hammerhead. But I like the idea of the variable flow. Is there a dc pump with comparable gph? I guess I could get 2 dc pumps and run two separate closed loops..

acesq
04/25/2014, 07:20 PM
Not sure the specs of the barracuda, but your could easily run two blue Eco 240w pumps using those drains. I have three feeding off 2 2" drains, they each feed separate multiple outlets and and are controlled by the Apex to create whatever flow pattern I want. I had it set up for a wave, but changed to a gyre. I'm very happy with it. The pumps produce some serious flow and are very quiet.

ca1ore
04/25/2014, 07:53 PM
I actually have a new oceans motions that I haven't set up yet but I've been hearing the support has been lacking recently and thought I'd see what my other options would be. The flowwolf seems to be more versatile, have continuing support and development, and is expensive but really not outrageous for just one unit. 6 outlets would also probably be ideal for what I want to do.

I had an issue recently with an older OM unit and Paul was really quite responsive and sent me what I needed.