PDA

View Full Version : Stocking based off square feet instead of gallons.

T.louderback
04/24/2014, 12:06 AM
With shallow reef becoming more and more popular in our hobby I think its necessary to re-evaluate the old stocking rules. For example, a yellow tang would need a 120 gallon. With that being said I would like some opinions for my stocking list.

Specs:
Tank volume: 62 gallon rimless
Dimensions: 60''x24''x10'' ( can you say shallow?)
Sump: two 55 gallon tanks one being a refugium.
Skimmer: Bubble magus Nac 6, rated for 170 gal ( looking to upgrade)
Flow: two jebao wp-25's ( will be getting 2 more ) and a scwd

Future stocking list:
Ocellaris clownfish x2
Assorted Anthias x3-5
Yellow Tang x1
Flame Angel x1
Coral Beauty x1
Green Mandarin x1
Yellow watchman goby x1
Cleaner shrimp x1
pistol shrimp x1

12 fish and 2 shrimp in a 62 gallon!? Is he Crazy!? Well I certainly hope not.
With the exception of the Tang, these fish are generally small as adults so I should have no issues with space. Even the tang should be comfy with 5 feet of swimming space. My main concerns would be the two dwarf angels and the tang. It may be wishful thinking but I believe with 10 square foot of claimable territory and ample live rock should prevent any aggression. As for the mandarin, I believe that a refugium 88% of the display will provide an abundance of pods for a little mandarin even with the angels.
All of my speculation is based off extensive research of these fish and a mere 2 years of reef keeping. this is just a survey to continue my research and help me before I purchase these fish with the exception of the clowns, coral beauty and cleaner shrimp. Thanks

MMacro
04/24/2014, 12:30 AM
Honestly, I wouldn't keep a yellow tang. I would say a maximum of 3 Anthias. The Mandarin should be the last addition and just make sure that your pods are multiplying enough to sustain the little guy. The pistol shrimp MIGHT kill your cleaner shrimp but I highly doubt they will come by each other much. Also, make sure you have a cleanup crew big enough to handle all of these fish.

Crooked Reef
04/24/2014, 12:44 AM
I would still suggest against the tang. It may have enough swim room length wise plus turn around room, but without being able to go up and down it may not work well.

Xavibear
04/24/2014, 07:34 AM
A yellow tang can be 7" from top to bottom. In a tank without sand that leaves only 3" of vertical space for it to move. Add sand & you get even less. I personally think that not enough space for a tang no matter how long your tank my be.

I also think that your more active & aggressive fish (angels) would cause others to jump out of the tank.

ca1ore
04/24/2014, 07:49 AM
Whatever one might think of the guidelines, RC lists both tank length and overall volume in the sticky on tanks sizes for tangs - I don't imagine this is by accident. While my own personal experience is that tank length is the most important criterion, overall space is also important. In a tank only 10" tall, essentially frag tank height, I'd only consider a bristletooth myself.

T.louderback
04/24/2014, 01:51 PM
I can see the issue with the tang. I didn't consider how tall the fish gets. Any opinions on the double angel situation?

MrClam
04/24/2014, 04:49 PM
Im curious why so shallow?

maddmaxx
04/24/2014, 04:55 PM
Im curious why so shallow?

thinking the same thing. its not a frag tank, its an actual display, and 10" tall doesnt leave you much of viewing panel to enjoy the tank...

davocean
04/24/2014, 07:38 PM
I also agree it seems a bit shallow, and a bristletooth/tomini would be pushing it.
Also agree on mandarin after pods and only if you have enough rock and a fuge is a must.

T.louderback
04/26/2014, 06:26 PM
Shallow tank because I love the look and it sits one foot away from my desk so I can see it perfectly. And the mandarin would be the last to be added. I have a 55 gallon fuge

T.louderback
04/26/2014, 06:28 PM
By the way, I have two 55 gallon sumps one of which is a fuge all by itself. not sure if I mentioned it