PDA

View Full Version : Rbta help!!!!

nudifun
04/25/2014, 01:05 PM
I purchased a rose tip bubble anemone about three months back. It was doing well for the most part. I took a while to find a spot it liked. for a while he was in the very back of the tank underneath a rock, completely devoid of light. he stayed there for a couple weeks and then finally moved.....He moved right into a large colony of Paly's, right in the middle of them, lol.
The first thing that bothered me about this was the fact that the Paly's seemd completely unaffected by this. they were not sucked in and no visible damage is present on them. This appears to me that the anemone's nematocysts are weak or completely ineffective. I also noticed that is is not very sticky, I mean at all.
In the beginning I was able to get him to eat by simply placing food in his tentacles and he would take it. Now I lay food in his tentacles and it just floats away. His mouth used to open and I assumed this was because he was hungry. I was right because every time I feed him with his mouth open he gobbled it right up (in seconds).
Now he wont ever open his mouth. he is shrunken down and deflated most of the time now. he is still in the middle of the Palys but he not longer opens his mouth or inflates very much at all. when he is inflated, it is the bare minimum and he never shows is bubble tips at all.
When I first got him he was Pink but it was a clearer pink and just kinda dull. I figured he was just messed up from the poor lfs treatment and shipping. I have nursed a maxi carpet anemone from this state back to normal health and bright colors so I knew/thought I could make him more healthy. Its not working out that way unfortunately. Maybe someone here can give me some direction.
In a long line of this Anemone getting progressively, he is now turning brown. dirt brown. Its ugly and hes deflated more now than every. he will not eat and is not the least bit sticky.

Everything else in the tank is thriving, including the Maxi-min Carpet spoken of previously.

one last detail: When I bought this guy I noticed when i got home that the flesh around his mouth was whitish. it kinda looks like talcum powder speckled and blotched around his mouth. he has always had this and I hoped it would go away when he got better.

I just don't know whats causing this. These things are so mysterious. no one seems to know anything definitive about them. If he dies will he not nuke my tank? I ask because I hate to remove him when there is a possibility he could get better. I also would have to pry him out of the palys, which in turn would damage them.

*If anyone can help me figure this out I would greatly appreciate that.

Tank Specs:
48" 4-bulb T5 VHO 50/50 - 12k/actnic 250w
48" stunner led strip actnic 40w
55 gallon display
20 gallon fuge/sump
ASM G2 skimmer
uv sterilizer
vortech mp10
koralia 425
2x 740gph returns (each pump has its own return (2)- one on each side tank
custom overflow and drilled (overflow is rated 1400gph and it sits in the
middle of the tank. 2x 1" drains. filter floss covering both)
80lbs of live rock
70lbs live sand (5" DSB in fuge)
Purigen located in filter sock covering drains
Seachem Matrix carbon (bagged) in the return section
Hydrofill ATO - magnetic probes (located in return)
*new bulk reef supply 5 stage rodi
Aquavitro salinity salt
Aquavitro eighty-four
Aquavitro Alpha
Brightwell Magnesium
Two Little Fishes reef elements
two Little Fishes iodide
Brightwell marine vitamin
Brightwell CoralAmino (was using Acropower which was better, but I ran out)
refractometer
intank hydrometer
cooling fans installed on sump
ViaAqua 100w Titanium heater in return
Fluval 150w glass heater (back up) in skimming section
Chaetomorpha (fuge)
Caulerpa (fuge)
Dragons breath (fuge and display)
Fluval 18w 6500k grow light
100gph Hydor pico circulation pump for the fuge.
digital thermo in display
digital thermo in fuge
digital thermo attached to AquaVia heater.

Maintenance:
15 gallon water change once a week
vacuum detritus out of sump once a week
replace filter floss as needed
replace Purigen every 3 months (dont attempt to regenerate - not worth it)
carbon replaced once every two weeks

Feed and schedule:
feeding once a day (late afternoon)
ocean nutrition marine color flakes
H20 spirulina
-mysis
-brine
-green algae sheets
-squid
-cyclopeeze
Coral smoothie
Clam Smoothie
brightwell vitamarin-M
Brightwell Garlic additive

Stock:
Starry Blenny
True Percula
Red Sea Mimic Blenny
Yellow Assessor
Skunk Cleaner shrimp
peppermint shrimp
Harlequin Shrimp
2x blue legged reef hermits
multiple nassarius snails
-Astreas
-Ceriths
-Dwarf Ceriths
-Perrywinkles
-Dwarf Palanxis
4x Turbos
6x Florida Ceriths
2x Fighting Conch
2x Nerites
Tisbe Pods
hundreds of tiny brittles
hundreds of feather duster/fan worms
1x Coco worm
Maxi-Mini Carpet Anemone
10 head duncan colony
20 different varieties of zoas
12 different mushrooms, ricordeas, rhodactis colonies
large yellow polyp colony
2x Kenya Trees
1x Purple pulsing Xenia colony
1x 4" Maxima Clam
4 head branching Torch
3 head branching frogspawn
3 head branching hammer
Green birdsnest
Small colony Acropora Red Planet
Small colony Acropora Blue Tort
Montipora Chilli Pepper
Montipora Undata
Montipora Capricornis
Large mat of green star polyps
RBTA
Very large colony of Palyzoas
small Favia colony
Large Trachyphyllia
small Red Goniopora colony
8 head Kryponite Candy Cane colony
One headed Rainbow Acan
6 headed unidentified Acan colony

peseifert
04/27/2014, 01:08 AM
Sounds bad for the home team- color loss, deflated, no attraction to food - hatr to say it but he might be on the way out. Is it still attached to the rock or is it just drifting? If so, in all likelihood it won't survive. Also, can you do the "smell test?" Smells awful, not a good sign. Better to remove it than have its decay trash your tank.
Sorry.

nudifun
04/28/2014, 07:38 AM
Sounds bad for the home team- color loss, deflated, no attraction to food - hatr to say it but he might be on the way out. Is it still attached to the rock or is it just drifting? If so, in all likelihood it won't survive. Also, can you do the "smell test?" Smells awful, not a good sign. Better to remove it than have its decay trash your tank.
Sorry.

It is attached. and recently he moved again. This time instead of being on the top of the rock between the palys. He has moved underneath that rock and is now out of direct sunlight.
I suppose i will smell him tonight. I hate to just kill him, but I am really afraid he will nuke my tank. Besides the decay do i need to worry about his chemical composition having an affect on the tank. i.e. his stinging cells and what not, if he dies? Like when they do die do they just start disintegrating and spreading their cells all over the tank?