PDA

View Full Version : Hermit crabs and gorgonians?

Muze813
04/28/2014, 08:07 AM
Hi guys,

I wasn't exactly sure under which category I should post this thread. I recently acquired several gorgonians. They seem to be doing well, but my blue leg hermit crabs are on them all the time. I can't tell if the crabs are just generally grazing on the gorgonians, or if they are actually trying to pick at the polyps. Does anyone have any experience with this? Are hermits normally safe for the gorgs?

Also, a basket starfish came in as a hitchhiker on one of the gorgs. I know these are almost impossible to keep alive. Any suggestions on what I could try for that guy would be welcome as well. I don't know what else to do for it besides just dosing phytoplankton.

Thanks!

liverock
04/28/2014, 08:48 AM
Hi guys,

I wasn't exactly sure under which category I should post this thread. I recently acquired several gorgonians. They seem to be doing well, but my blue leg hermit crabs are on them all the time. I can't tell if the crabs are just generally grazing on the gorgonians, or if they are actually trying to pick at the polyps. Does anyone have any experience with this? Are hermits normally safe for the gorgs?

Also, a basket starfish came in as a hitchhiker on one of the gorgs. I know these are almost impossible to keep alive. Any suggestions on what I could try for that guy would be welcome as well. I don't know what else to do for it besides just dosing phytoplankton.

Thanks!

The bl hermits are doing what they are supposed to....grazing algae off the gorgs....and will do that on everything that gets algae growth...is why they are so important to the clean up crew...

basket stars.....as D2mini what he does, as he has kept them longer than anybody I know!

sea ya
Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com :spin3::spin3::spin3:

Muze813
04/28/2014, 09:10 AM
Thanks, Richard! I really love the gorgonians, and all of my TBS rock. The tank seems to be doing really well. It was just making me a little nervous the the crabs seemed to be especially attracted to the silver gorgs.

The basket starfish is amazing. I am really hoping to be able to sustain it.

gpdno
04/28/2014, 09:12 AM
I have several gorgonians and a few hermit crabs that are always clambering around on them. The gorgonians are growing well so it does not seem that the crabs are hurting the gorgonians.