PDA

View Full Version : AHH what is this paper stuff blowing around in my tank

EnderTurtle
04/28/2014, 09:54 PM
So I took down my sump to install a baffle and the pump was plumbed using braided nylon.

Which was left in a bucket for the past two nights. Evaporation took place.

Turned the pump on today and there was a film that built up on the inside. This white-ish film blew all around my tank! It's a lot.

What is this? Should I be concerned? Maybe a micron sock will help?

disc1
04/29/2014, 07:20 AM
Calcium carbonate that's left behind when saltwater evaporates. It is of no concern if it is in flakes. It is the same stuff your rocks and sand are made of. You can try to catch it or just let it settle out.

EnderTurtle
04/29/2014, 07:21 AM
It's papery though, I can rip it up. Very interesting. Woudln't calcium carbonate be hard? Well I guess it was just a thin layer on the inside of my nylon braid hose.

brianfarm6767
04/29/2014, 09:05 AM
Sounds like the same stuff I have battled with as well. Mine collected in the return chamber of my sump mainly on the glass and vinyl tubing from my pump to PVC.

After a few weeks of scrubbing the glass and pipe to stir it up and adding an extra HOB filter for mechanical filtration I have seemed to get it under control.

I think it may have been caused from not mixing my salt long enough before adding directly to the tank, but either way I hope it never comes back.