PDA

View Full Version : Great PE, tips seem to be "bleaching", why?

Reefsi
04/29/2014, 09:31 AM
So I have recently started a SPS 240g reef tank. I had my first additions to the tank last week. For the most part everything seems to be doing fine. Some of the acros though have white tips that look like burnt tips. Im not sure if my lighting is too strong or I'm not feeding enough or what. Ill start with my Parameters:

PH 7.95-8.15 It really varies at the moment between those, Ive been working on methods of bringing it up. I have a Co2 scrubber and that hasn't really worked. I want to dose kalk in my ATO but I dont want to raise my alk.
CA:420-440
Alk:152PPM (3.02 Me/q)
MG:1400
P04:0.00-0.02(Varies by day in between those)
All nutrient levels are undetectable

Lighting:
6x Kessil A360WE
1x ATI 4x80 T5 Sunpower with Coral/Blue/Coral/Blue
My lighting is 8am-6pm, so a 10hr photoperiod
Kessils run the full length, in the morning Intensity starts at 20 and ramps up to 80 by 11am. It holds at 80 until 3pm then begins to ramp down to 20 by 6pm. The spectrum goes from Whitest in the morning to bluest and back to whitest at night(The sun in its natural setting broadcast the whitest spectrum in the mornings and evenings, I know this is oppisite to what people do in there home aquariums).

Feeding:
I feed 2 times a day
Coral: Phyto, ROE, Cyclopeeze, and Rods Coral Food
Fish: Mysis, Brine, and Rods Fish

Waterflow:
Supplemental: 2 MP 40's, 1 on each side, controlled by apex
Return Pump: Waterbluster 10,000(2000GPH at my head height)

Reactors:
GFO
Ozone with GAC on output
CA reactor

Tank is 72"L x 31"T x 25"W

Tweaked
04/29/2014, 09:39 AM
Recent as in how long ago? Running GAC and GFO on a new tank may be stripping the water causing lack of food- nutrients. 8.5 alk with that low of nutrients could be just some simple alk burn. Any pics?

Reefsi
04/29/2014, 10:56 AM
Tried to take a couple, Im going to snap a couple tonight when the light is whitest. When its a blue spectrum its kind of hard to grab a clear, bright picture. I wanted to keep my alk lower because from my understanding SPS thrive more under a little lower alk.

Reefsi
04/29/2014, 10:57 AM
The majority of the corals are doing well, It just a couple acros and 1 mille. All additions were in the last 8 days.

trueblackpercula
04/30/2014, 04:49 AM
Recent as in how long ago? Running GAC and GFO on a new tank may be stripping the water causing lack of food- nutrients. 8.5 alk with that low of nutrients could be just some simple alk burn. Any pics?

+1 this is great advice also and your lighting is super strong can you lower the intensity ?

jda
04/30/2014, 09:07 AM
I would not run either GAC or GFO on a new tank. Allow the tank to cycle - it can process the N and P on it's own without help of GFO or organic carbon, but it might take some time... only bad things happen fast in reefing.

If you are going to be a successful SPS'er, sometimes you have to learn that you have to let some corals go for the good of the rest. If it is just one or two, then that is about normal. You are going to be in an interesting scenario where lots of deepwater SPS won't thrive under the Kessils, so you will likely need to decide to focus on what you can keep and let the others struggle, die or just not buy them. I don't know of a single SPS'er who has successfully kept every SPS under the sun in their tank - typically there are one or two that just don't do well for them. For me, it is Pearlberry and .