PDA

View Full Version : How Long can a Fish Live with Ich?

that Fish Guy
04/29/2014, 06:24 PM
How Long can a Fish Live with Ich?

I ask because in the past whenever a Fish of Mine got Ich it Died the Very Next Day.

Then I read to get a UV Sterilizer and to Kill the Ich when it fell of the Fish.

Since getting the UV Sterilizer I have never lost a Fish to Ich.

Sometimes a New Fish would get chased around and Bullied by at least one other Fish and get Ich the Next Day but once the Ich Dropped off them it never re-appeared.

I recently got 2 Fish and they were fine for 2 Weeks.

Nobody in the Tank Bullied them and everyone was Happy and Eating Well.

Then I cleaned the Power Heads because they were covered in Algae and the Flow was severly Diminished.

The very next day one fish got Ich (I guess it was not used to that much Flow).

Then the other new fish got Ich the day after the first one got it.

No big deal I thought.

They will drop the Ich and it will get sucked up into the UV Sterilizer and never come back just like before right.

No.

I check on the Tank around 6 times a day and the Ich has never left these two new fish (All my old Fish are Ich Free by the way).

It has been over 6 Weeks now and they still have Ich.

They both eat well and no fish pick on them either.

Why do they still have Ich?

If it would only drop off them once the UV Sterilizer would kill the Free Floating Ich and this would be over with.

But that has not happened.

Is this like Super Ich or something?

Are there different Strains of Ich?

Will they just live with Ich forever or will they die?

What should I do?

rromans88
04/29/2014, 06:54 PM
I have a powder blue tang that has had icy for about a week. He finally got over it on his own. I firmly believe that best medicine for ich is pristine water conditions and increased feeding. A fat fish is a happy fish.

sponger0
04/29/2014, 07:46 PM
The best treatment for ich is quarantine with treatment of cupramine or hyposalinity. It is better to live without than to live with it.

Why anyone choses to live with it is beyond me

that Fish Guy
I have a powder blue tang that has had icy for about a week. He finally got over it on his own. I firmly believe that best medicine for ich is pristine water conditions and increased feeding. A fat fish is a happy fish.

Should I add Garlic to the Food?

Will that Help?

jco1856
My whitetail pygmy angel had visible spots for about a week. Just increased my feedings and no more visible spots. It would have been too much hassle to try and catch him and I wasn't going to use any medications in my reef so I just let it be

zeebies
04/29/2014, 07:55 PM
Why do they still have Ich?

The short answer is because ich now lives and reproduces in your tank. It will stay that way until you remove all fish and treat them and let your tank go fallow for 12 weeks.

tylr9m482
04/29/2014, 07:55 PM
Should I add Garlic to the Food?

Will that Help?

Garlic will help the fish's appetite, therefore promote him to eat more which will help so yes I would suggest using garlic. As far as ich itself, you will get mixed views on how to deal with it. I personally believe if you have a tank with good water quality and a stress free environment the fish will be fine. Many in this hobby have tanks which contain ich but rarely show on the fish. To completely rid the tank you will need to qt all fish and treat the qt while you let the display tank sit fish-less for about 8-12 weeks, I can't remember exactly how long but there are many good threads on this site if you just search ICH. I lost a fish to ich simply from over stressing him while trying to catch him. As long as the fish isn't completely covered in it and having trouble breathing/swimming. I would just up your feedings, keep your water quality up to par and hope for the best, he will most likely beat it. (However it will still be in your system).

tylr9m482
04/29/2014, 07:58 PM
Not to mention from then on if you do remove all fish and treat them, you will then need to qt and treat all future fish you may add the the tank if you don't want to repeat the entire process! Any fish bought from your lfs may be carrying ich even if it is not present when you make your purchase!

SeedlessOne
04/29/2014, 08:11 PM
Not sure who told you the UV would protect you from Ich, but that was bad advice.

You now need to leave your tank fallow and wait it out. Treat fish with hypo or copper. That is the only way you are gettig rid of that Ich.

You should also set a quarantine for the future, so you dont get reinfected.

snorvich
04/29/2014, 08:31 PM
Not sure who told you the UV would protect you from Ich, but that was bad advice.

You now need to leave your tank fallow and wait it out. Treat fish with hypo or copper. That is the only way you are gettig rid of that Ich.

While UV is useful (if configured properly) with tanks that share water (isolation of the spread of the parasite to multiple tanks) there is little to no value for a single tank. Garlic, long term is bad for fish and does nothing with regard to ich.

Ich is not an immediate killer (so the OP may have had other issues), it is however, an overwhelming parasite that will eventually kill.

that Fish Guy
04/29/2014, 11:51 PM
The short answer is because ich now lives and reproduces in your tank. It will stay that way until you remove all fish and treat them and let your tank go fallow for 12 weeks.

You don't understand I have a UV Sterilizer so it will not be in the Tank once it falls off the Fish.

that Fish Guy
04/29/2014, 11:52 PM
Garlic will help the fish's appetite, therefore promote him to eat more which will help so yes I would suggest using garlic. As far as ich itself, you will get mixed views on how to deal with it. I personally believe if you have a tank with good water quality and a stress free environment the fish will be fine. Many in this hobby have tanks which contain ich but rarely show on the fish. To completely rid the tank you will need to qt all fish and treat the qt while you let the display tank sit fish-less for about 8-12 weeks, I can't remember exactly how long but there are many good threads on this site if you just search ICH. I lost a fish to ich simply from over stressing him while trying to catch him. As long as the fish isn't completely covered in it and having trouble breathing/swimming. I would just up your feedings, keep your water quality up to par and hope for the best, he will most likely beat it. (However it will still be in your system).

One of my Fish does not have many spots but the other is covered pretty bad.

My Water Quality is Perfect.
Nobody is bothering these Fish.
They are both eating.
Neither show any bad signs besides the Ich.

that Fish Guy
04/29/2014, 11:55 PM

It does work because since getting the UV Sterilizer a few years ago I have never lost a fish to Ich and they have gotten Ich (Usually it is New Arrivals that get the Ich. Then the UV Sterilizer takes care of the problem.

My problem right now is these fish will not Drop the Ich so my UV Sterilizer has no way of Killing the Ich since it needs to be Free Floating in the Water.

that Fish Guy
04/29/2014, 11:55 PM
While UV is useful (if configured properly) with tanks that share water (isolation of the spread of the parasite to multiple tanks) there is little to no value for a single tank. Garlic, long term is bad for fish and does nothing with regard to ich.

Ich is not an immediate killer (so the OP may have had other issues), it is however, an overwhelming parasite that will eventually kill.

What is the longest time that anyone has had a fish before it died to ich?

Months?
Years?

EllisJuan
04/30/2014, 12:03 AM
I think you may be overestimating the capabilities of your UV sterilizer.

ReefPharmer
04/30/2014, 12:43 AM
You don't understand I have a UV Sterilizer so it will not be in the Tank once it falls off the Fish.

Nope it is you that doesn't understand how the uv works . It only possibly treats the water that goes through it. If 100% of your tank water doesn't go through it, Ich will remain. There is almost 0 percent chance that a small uv will completely kill Ich in a tank w hosts

whosurcaddie
04/30/2014, 04:18 AM

Months?
Years?

I had ich in my display in the very beginning and not a single fish has died and I have no signs of it after the first occurrence.

What I did is I got DR. G's anti parasitic food and fed that for a couple days then back to they're regular food for two days then back to Dr. G's for two more days I repeated this until there were no signs of the parasite. I should also add that I added ginger root powder to every feeding. Ginger is anti parasitic and has immune boosting property's.

Since following this method the first time I have not seen any signs of ich in my tank. I think the ich just cant latch on once the chloroquine phosphate is in there system, that is the active ingredient in Dr. G's.

You can only get Dr. G's at local fish stores so you might want to call around and see if any have it. Only one store in my area had it and it was the most upscale store around.

The sculpin
04/30/2014, 06:42 AM

Months?
Years?

I have a flame angle that showed symptoms 2 1/2 years ago and is still going strong, in fact it is the bully of the tank. If I could catch it I would take it out.

ganjero
04/30/2014, 07:39 AM
I had ich in my display in the very beginning and not a single fish has died and I have no signs of it after the first occurrence.

What I did is I got DR. G's anti parasitic food and fed that for a couple days then back to they're regular food for two days then back to Dr. G's for two more days I repeated this until there were no signs of the parasite. I should also add that I added ginger root powder to every feeding. Ginger is anti parasitic and has immune boosting property's.

Since following this method the first time I have not seen any signs of ich in my tank. I think the ich just cant latch on once the chloroquine phosphate is in there system, that is the active ingredient in Dr. G's.

You can only get Dr. G's at local fish stores so you might want to call around and see if any have it. Only one store in my area had it and it was the most upscale store around.

Do you still have some of the medicated food? Does it list the concentration of Chloroquine phosphate? Their website doesn't list it. Although not a proven treatment, there is anecdotal evidence of positive results using Chloroquine phosphate

SeedlessOne
04/30/2014, 07:47 AM

Sorry sir, It seems like you are the one who doesn't understand a UV sterilizer. Not trying to be rude but you may want to poke around a few Ich threads to read up on proper removal. Good luck as it a hard path that quite a few of us have ventured down. :beer:

tylr9m482
04/30/2014, 08:13 AM

Sorry but ICH will always be in your tank now as long as it has a host (any fish in the tank). If you truly want to get rid of it you should read a couple ich treatment threads and start the qt process. A UV Sterillizer will not rid you tank of ich.

snorvich
04/30/2014, 08:42 AM

Uh, how are you going to get all of the tomites to flow past your UV? All you have to do is miss one. Or you can come join us in the Fish Diseases forum.

sponger0
04/30/2014, 08:44 AM

Then why are you asking us if you have all the answers already?

SeedlessOne
04/30/2014, 08:52 AM
Double post.

GroktheCube
04/30/2014, 09:29 AM
It does work because since getting the UV Sterilizer a few years ago I have never lost a fish to Ich and they have gotten Ich (Usually it is New Arrivals that get the Ich. Then the UV Sterilizer takes care of the problem.

My problem right now is these fish will not Drop the Ich so my UV Sterilizer has no way of Killing the Ich since it needs to be Free Floating in the Water.

You need a very strong dose of UVC to actually kill the free swimming stage of ich, and the odds of every single parasite that drops off of the fish or hatches from the cysts on the substrate passing through it before they reach the substrate is zero.

Ich will always fall off the fish after 2-7 days. It will then go to the bottom of the tank, encyst, and hatch (producing a few hundred new parasites) after 3+ days. This very predictable life cycle is why the tank transfer method is so effective at eliminating it.

The bottom line is that if you don't see the visual signs of ich on the fish fading over the course of a week, it's because your tank is so badly infested that there are new parasites hatching out over the course of that week and reinfecting the fish before that parasites already attached to it all drop off. This constant assault is likely to wear down and eventually kill the fish.

that Fish Guy
04/30/2014, 09:51 AM
Nope it is you that doesn't understand how the uv works . It only possibly treats the water that goes through it. If 100% of your tank water doesn't go through it, Ich will remain. There is almost 0 percent chance that a small uv will completely kill Ich in a tank w hosts

Why did it work on so many fish in the past (All of them that got Ich actually) if I am wrong?

I lost many fish before getting a UV Sterilizer to Ich and Zero Fish after.

So the only thing that changed was the UV Sterilizer therefore logic dictates that the UV Sterilizer killed the Ich hence saving the Fish.

sponger0
04/30/2014, 09:54 AM
Why did it work on so many fish in the past (All of them that got Ich actually) if I am wrong?

So the only thing that changed was the UV Sterilizer therefore logic dictates that the UV Sterilizer killed the Ich hence saving the Fish.

It helps but DOES NOT remove the parasite

that Fish Guy
04/30/2014, 09:54 AM

Man, My LFS has Dr. G's but my Fish only eats Seaweed and Algae in the Tank so I do not think that it will work.

that Fish Guy
04/30/2014, 09:58 AM
Then why are you asking us if you have all the answers already?

I am merely asking how long a Fish can Survive with Ich before it will ultimatly Die (That I do not know).

I am not asking on how to treat Ich or about a UV Sterilizer.

Others brought that up.

ganjero
04/30/2014, 10:00 AM

It might help to control it but not to eliminate it, see snorvich's first post. Your fish still have ich, they are just not showing sings. That's why your new fish get it and show signs.

sponger0
04/30/2014, 10:02 AM
I am merely asking how long a Fish can Survive with Ich before it will ultimatly Die (That I do not know).

Others brought that up.

How to treat:

Quarantine all fish. Leave main display fallow for 2-3 months. Use cupramine or hyposalinity to treat the fish. Observe fish. If all healthy after the fallow period, return to main tank

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1990809

ganjero
04/30/2014, 10:02 AM

Others brought that up.

There is not a definitive answer to your question.

sponger0
04/30/2014, 10:04 AM

Ture. They can be overtaken by the parasite or if they start attacking the gils, the fish wont have too much longer.

snorvich
04/30/2014, 10:07 AM

That is correct. Because of the exponential nature of the ich life cycle, the smaller the tank, the quicker fish deaths (because the percentage of tomites that find hosts increases). Ich overwhelms fish.

higorc
04/30/2014, 10:30 AM
WOW! Give the guy a break guys, no need for taking off the gloves! :spin2:

UV Sterilizer when properly sized DOES help to manage Ich. It is in no shape or form a cure or a solution for an Ich issue, but it does help.

IME good husbandry, water quality/stability and a stress free environment makes all the difference.

I can tell you I know I have Ich in my system and also run an 40W Aqua UV sterilizer 24/7 but haven't seen any signs of it for over a year.

Like stated before, I do agree that good husbandry and system stability are a lot more important then running a UV to solve an Ich problem.

I have been around the block a couple times when it comes to Ich. Letting the Tank go fallow for almost 3 months, Hyppo treatment, Cuprimine treatment... But after all that I just decided to manage it and make the situation favorable for the fishies (hence the UV) to fight it off on their own :beer:.

zeebies
04/30/2014, 10:38 AM
I am merely asking how long a Fish can Survive with Ich before it will ultimatly Die

Why would you not give your fish every opportunity to live a long, happy, healthy life free of parasites and disease? All the info you need is here on RC. It requires some research, planning, time and effort to take care of most problems we come up against but it's well worth it.

Instead of asking how long will your fish could live with a parasite that will eventually overpower it... make a plan for ridding your tank of a potential nightmare.

We're all on the same team.

HumbleFish
04/30/2014, 11:07 AM

Just to clarify, Ich never dies so long as there is a fish host present to feed on. But as far as how long until the fish dies, there's just no way of knowing as each fish's immune system is different. There are things you can do (i.e. Ich management) to help fish win some of the battles, but as snorvich pointed out Ich usually wins the war. All it takes is one good "stressor event" (prolonged power loss, heater sticks, excessive fish fighting), and it can be all over.

sponger0
04/30/2014, 11:20 AM
Why would you not give your fish every opportunity to live a long, happy, healthy life free of parasites and disease? All the info you need is here on RC. It requires some research, planning, time and effort to take care of most problems we come up against but it's well worth it.

Instead of asking how long will your fish live with a parasite that will eventually overpower it... make a plan for ridding your tank of a potential nightmare.

We're all on the same team.

^ Agree with this guy.

I never understood why manage living with ich, when you can eradicate it. Yea sure you have to quarantine them for months, but then you have a QT setup for future fish purchases to avoid this and other diseases.

Also what is keeping a fish in QT for a few month when they can live for years of enjoyment of watching them? Without them living with ich Ill add

Also asking how long they can live with ich is kind of like asking, how long can a human live with cancer without any treatment.

sponger0
04/30/2014, 12:22 PM
More reading for you :)

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2159738

whosurcaddie
04/30/2014, 02:51 PM
Do you still have some of the medicated food? Does it list the concentration of Chloroquine phosphate? Their website doesn't list it. Although not a proven treatment, there is anecdotal evidence of positive results using Chloroquine phosphate

It doesn't say how much on the package. All I know is that it worked wonders for me and chloroquine phosphate is the only treatment that you can do in your display without killing everything. The only thing is you have to get your fish to ingest it.

Ive heard of people making there own food with CP but I don't know how much they used.

whosurcaddie
04/30/2014, 02:56 PM

Others brought that up.

Yes but if you could treat it why wouldn't you. Just because your fish only eat algae doesn't mean you cant treat them. I'm sure they would eat spirulina flakes. You can make mixture of chloroquine and the spirulina flakes.

sponger0
04/30/2014, 03:02 PM
Yes but if you could treat it why wouldn't you. Just because your fish only eat algae doesn't mean you cant treat them. I'm sure they would eat spirulina flakes. You can make mixture of chloroquine and the spirulina flakes.

Or just use curpamine or hypo to treat it all together and be done with it.

whosurcaddie
04/30/2014, 03:09 PM

Yes that would work but Ive had first hand experience with chloroquine I know for a fact that it works. Its also much less stressful for a fish infected with ich to feed it chloroquine than moving it to a much smaller tank for months. If the fish is badly infected a move like that would probably be the end for it.

sponger0
04/30/2014, 03:20 PM
Yes that would work but Ive had first hand experience with chloroquine I know for a fact that it works. Its also much less stressful for a fish infected with ich to feed it chloroquine than moving it to a much smaller tank for months. If the fish is badly infected a move like that would probably be the end for it.

Actually it isnt. The word stress is overly used.

GroktheCube
04/30/2014, 05:44 PM

Others brought that up.

People were only giving you tips because you seemed confused about how ich worked and how to treat it, and wanted to help you keep your fish from dying.

A fish could survive days, weeks, months, or even years with ich present in the system. If the fish appear to be constantly covered with white spots for more than a week, it is a very bad sign, as it means that ich parasites are constantly hatching and reinfecting the fish, meaning it never gets a chance to recover.

The longer the situation as described goes on, the greater the odds that the fish which currently appear fine will also be severely infected and possibly killed.

Not trying to be alarmist or anything, I've just read way too many stories about people "living with" ich and then suddenly having it wipe out the majority of their fish, beginning in a way similar to what you're experiencing.

SS_Sean
04/30/2014, 06:25 PM
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink....

that Fish Guy
04/30/2014, 08:03 PM

It is a Reef Tank so neither of those are an option.

that Fish Guy
04/30/2014, 08:05 PM
People were only giving you tips because you seemed confused about how ich worked and how to treat it, and wanted to help you keep your fish from dying.

A fish could survive days, weeks, months, or even years with ich present in the system. If the fish appear to be constantly covered with white spots for more than a week, it is a very bad sign, as it means that ich parasites are constantly hatching and reinfecting the fish, meaning it never gets a chance to recover.

The longer the situation as described goes on, the greater the odds that the fish which currently appear fine will also be severely infected and possibly killed.

Not trying to be alarmist or anything, I've just read way too many stories about people "living with" ich and then suddenly having it wipe out the majority of their fish, beginning in a way similar to what you're experiencing.

The Fish has been covered for 6 Weeks straight with no breaks that the UV Sterilizer could solve.

Peter Eichler
04/30/2014, 08:30 PM
I've had fish live several years with ich and/or ich showing up sporadically. Symptoms will come and go, but a healthy fish in good water conditions can indefinitely fight off the parasite. I've seen it first hand several times.

GroktheCube
04/30/2014, 09:15 PM
The Fish has been covered for 6 Weeks straight with no breaks that the UV Sterilizer could solve.

The fish has been covered for 6 weeks straight because new parasites are continuously hatching.

The UV sterilizer is irrelevant, as it is absolutely impossible for it to kill every parasite that hatches before it can find a fish.

That is why I expressed concern. If the situation isn't "resolving itself" after 6 weeks, it's very likely that you will need to step in and take action.

bnumair
04/30/2014, 09:23 PM
are you trying to save the fish and cure them or just wanna see how long will they live and suffer. How long will you wait if you had parasite living on ur body before going to hospital?

that Fish Guy
05/01/2014, 12:22 AM
are you trying to save the fish and cure them or just wanna see how long will they live and suffer. How long will you wait if you had parasite living on ur body before going to hospital?

I want to help the Fish of course.

SS_Sean
05/01/2014, 12:34 AM

Then you need to go here, study the stickies, and apply what you've learned. These are the best and brightest in the hobby....

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87

SeedlessOne
05/01/2014, 07:13 AM

Then its time to let your tank go fallow for 8 weeks. Pull all fish out and start treatment on them. I prefer copper over hypo.

sponger0
05/01/2014, 07:17 AM
It is a Reef Tank so neither of those are an option.

If you read mt previous comments, you will see how I said a QT....sigh.......:facepalm:

sponger0
05/01/2014, 07:18 AM
Then its time to let your tank go fallow for 8 weeks. Pull all fish out and start treatment on them. I prefer copper over hypo.

And cupramine is perfectly safe a correct levels. Its prefered over Coppersafe

spamreefnew
05/01/2014, 10:50 AM
I had ich on some fish about 7 years ago. I refused to remove the fish because I would have had to remove all my rock. So I fed good food and garlic and ran uv for a few months. All the specks went away. I removed the Uv. I still have some of the fish and see no specks 7 years later. I am not saying that there is no ich in my system BUT there is a chance that the fish became immune after a while and that the ich could not find a host and died off. If you can remove the fish and Q/T that is always best but if you cant just provide the best conditions you can. after all there is no Q/T in the ocean. survival of the fittest i guess...

GroktheCube
05/01/2014, 11:07 AM
I had ich on some fish about 7 years ago. I refused to remove the fish because I would have had to remove all my rock. So I fed good food and garlic and ran uv for a few months. All the specks went away. I removed the Uv. I still have some of the fish and see no specks 7 years later. I am not saying that there is no ich in my system BUT there is a chance that the fish became immune after a while and that the ich could not find a host and died off. If you can remove the fish and Q/T that is always best but if you cant just provide the best conditions you can. after all there is no Q/T in the ocean. survival of the fittest i guess...

The reason ich isn't as much of an issue in the ocean is that it isn't a small closed system. The odds of a fish getting a severe ich infection in the wild are basically nil, just because the odds of a given parasite finding a fish are so low. That's why crypto reproduces at such a fast rate, which is why it is a threat in a small closed system.

that Fish Guy
05/01/2014, 11:27 AM

I did that once and the Fish Died.

I find catching a fish and putting it in a smaller tank is very stressful on the Fish.

Another reason that I very much believe in UV Sterilizers.

You can add them without stressing out the already stressed out fish.

that Fish Guy
05/01/2014, 11:28 AM
i had ich on some fish about 7 years ago. I refused to remove the fish because i would have had to remove all my rock. So i fed good food and garlic and ran uv for a few months. All the specks went away. I removed the uv. I still have some of the fish and see no specks 7 years later. I am not saying that there is no ich in my system but there is a chance that the fish became immune after a while and that the ich could not find a host and died off. If you can remove the fish and q/t that is always best but if you cant just provide the best conditions you can. After all there is no q/t in the ocean. Survival of the fittest i guess...

+1

ganjero
05/01/2014, 11:37 AM
The reason ich isn't as much of an issue in the ocean is that it isn't a small closed system. The odds of a fish getting a severe ich infection in the wild are basically nil, just because the odds of a given parasite finding a fish are so low. That's why crypto reproduces at such a fast rate, which is why it is a threat in a small closed system.

+1...in a closed system more parasites will find one host and really take a toll on that host. In the ocean fish get ich but the amount of parasite that get into one host is very low, and once they fall off the fish might not get it again.

In a closed system is a never ending cycle with the same host(s).

GroktheCube
05/01/2014, 11:50 AM
I did that once and the Fish Died.

I find catching a fish and putting it in a smaller tank is very stressful on the Fish.

Another reason that I very much believe in UV Sterilizers.

You can add them without stressing out the already stressed out fish.

It's your decision. No offense intended, but it seems like you're wilfully discounting the advice (and even just the plain and simple facts) given to you because it's inconvenient.

I'm not going to bash you, but you probably shouldn't ask these types of questions if you don't want to hear the answers.

It's up to you what to do, but don't shoot the messenger because you don't like the message.

tylr9m482
05/01/2014, 12:43 PM
it's your decision. No offense intended, but it seems like you're wilfully discounting the advice (and even just the plain and simple facts) given to you because it's inconvenient.

I'm not going to bash you, but you probably shouldn't ask these types of questions if you don't want to hear the answers.

It's up to you what to do, but don't shoot the messenger because you don't like the message.

+1

zeebies
05/01/2014, 01:34 PM
Time to take some action Fish Guy... if you really are a Fish Guy.

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd451/printpail/other%20reef%20stuff/DSCN1847_zps4f1b5459.jpg (http://s1220.photobucket.com/user/printpail/media/other%20reef%20stuff/DSCN1847_zps4f1b5459.jpg.html)