PDA

View Full Version : Strange Nitrite Spike

helgir
04/29/2014, 07:11 PM
So my tank cycled about a month and a half ago and I have been slowly adding livestock current live stock is 2 Maroons and 1 watchman goby with a CUC and most recently a star polyp colony.

As I tested water yesterday I saw a sudden spike to 3.0ppm in nitrite, Is this normal? is this just my bacteria catching up to the bioload? perhaps I have been adding fish to fast (35g total volume)

I re-tested and saw the same thing so this is not a testing error. Any ideas?

As for the lifestock everyone is doing good and my Polyp opened up fully for the first time today, looks amazing and oh my under that blue light :)

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/30/2014, 05:22 AM
Might be the bacteria need more time to catch up. I wouldn't do anything about it other than measure ammonia again (which is a toxicity concern), and wait it out. Nitrite is not toxic in marine systems. :)

helgir
05/01/2014, 02:41 PM
Might be the bacteria need more time to catch up. I wouldn't do anything about it other than measure ammonia again (which is a toxicity concern), and wait it out. Nitrite is not toxic in marine systems. :)

Perfect thanks for your answer. Ye amonia stayed at zero the whole time and the nitrite is now down to 0.5 all inhabitabts doing great.

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/01/2014, 05:33 PM
:thumbsup:

Happy Reefing. :)