PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ideas on RockScaping a DEEP 180

Jaculus
04/29/2014, 08:06 PM
I am fixing up a used Custom 180 gal tank from Glasscages. It's 1/2" thick glass (not Sapphire). Its 4' wide, 2' deep (front to back) and 3' High (top to bottom). I have the holes drilled and the tank re-sealed. So I am going to get the help of about 10 people (lol) to bring this thing into the house and onto the stand this weekend.

I already have a 75 gal reef tank with a 125 gal basement refu/sump that will feed both of these tanks. The 180 will be a FOWLR with possible softies but nothing major needing any lighting since it is 3 ft deep.

I am leaning towards Pukani or BRS ReefSaver rock to do the scaping, but I am looking for ideas for this deep tank. I have done some searching here but have not found anything specific to the dimensions I have. I don't want the full "wall of rocks" look but I do want to get the rocks stacked maybe 2/3 of the way up in a small section. I just don't want the rocks to be simply stacked against the back. I will drill and use acrylic rods where needed.

Anyone have any links to ideas or someone with similar tank dimensions that I can steal some inspiration from?

PeterHall
04/29/2014, 08:30 PM
If you wanted to do something cool you pile up rocks on the one side and build a ledge across to the other side
Look up Mr. Kang’s Korean reef aquarium for inspiration

Jaculus
04/30/2014, 12:42 PM
thanks i will look that up sounds cool for now though I am stalled The tank cracked all the way across the bottom (1/2" glass) after I drilled my holes. IT's from glasscages but obviously I did the drilling (it was used when I got it) and it is not under any warranty especially from anything like this.

I am looking into replacing the bottom piece and tearing it all the way down replacing the sealant on all edges. hate the idea of only replacing some of the sealant especially on a tank this size.

Jaculus
04/30/2014, 12:50 PM
If you wanted to do something cool you pile up rocks on the one side and build a ledge across to the other side
Look up Mr. Kang’s Korean reef aquarium for inspiration

Done some searches here I dont find anything for Mr. kang or similar do you have link? thanks

Jaculus
04/30/2014, 01:02 PM
never mind I found his tanks using google I see what you mean impressive tank but that is a coral tank this one I am doing will be FOWLR larger fish etc MAYBE a couple softie corals.

garyinco
04/30/2014, 01:23 PM
That sucks about the crack. First thing I thought of was the Pukani; only because I recently bought some from BRS. I may have told them my tank size in gallons, but certainly nothing more. When I received the product I was surprised how tall the pieces were. I'll have to cut them down to fit into my 21" tall tank. I'd definitely call them, tell them what you got and see what they can do for you.

Some goes for Marco Rocks. Their website is always saying they are out of stock on the cool looking stuff. But I hope they're out sourcing more cool looking rock instead of dinking around with a website all the time. Call them too.

Good luck on the tank repair.