PDA

View Full Version : how come no aquacultured ultra acans?

cubsFAN
04/29/2014, 09:43 PM
I see the boring drab acans a lot, but never the really nice ones. Seems like places get big colonies and chop them up into obscenely priced frags. Anyone know a place that has aquacultured ultra acans. Are they any harder to grow than the regular one's or do they lose their colors? I've had plenty of luck growing the regular ones and it seems if they were aquacultured, prices would start to go down. Can't pay $150 bucks for a single polyp. Makes me feel like a sucker.

Mael
04/30/2014, 10:42 AM
liveaquaria has acan lords for sale 1-2" frags for about 50(grade B greens and purples), doesnt seem like they have any grade A(reds, rainbows) in stock right now. This is from their aquacultured section.

Only problem is it doesnt say how many heads your getting on the 1-2" frag.

cubsFAN
04/30/2014, 11:09 AM
I'm thinking more along the lines of the acans I see on cherry corals and world wide corals. Live aquaria has some on divers den that are dull green and way overpriced. Hopefully they're aqua culturing some of the more unique ultras, but I have not seen them offered.

Mael
04/30/2014, 11:21 AM
I dont know how it is in your area, but honestly the best place for good acans here are local garage reefers. They usually have great pricing(since they have little overhead) and get some great corals, especially in this area.

See if there are any facebook groups for coral BST for your area, also do a craigslist search as a lot of garage reefers advertise there. Lastly the regional section of reef central is a great place to start and ask questions about local sourcing.

Fish Biscuit
05/08/2014, 02:24 PM
I don't think I've ever seen farmed acans being imported. Ultra acans are extremely expensive just on the wholesale side. I feel your pain on the price of coral but I know what it takes to get it in here.

knukles55
05/08/2014, 09:23 PM
could always look into local frag swaps. if your community offers them good time to luck out on some acans :)

Mael
05/09/2014, 10:57 AM
exactly, both my purple/gold mouth acan and rainbow came from local frag swap or coral auction. 10-15 each for single polyps. We do have some ultra acan lords people sell for more, like 40 a head for crazy colors.

that Fish Guy
11/02/2015, 09:53 PM
exactly, both my purple/gold mouth acan and rainbow came from local frag swap or coral auction. 10-15 each for single polyps. We do have some ultra acan lords people sell for more, like 40 a head for crazy colors.

I have gotten Acans at Frag Swaps for $10 to $20 a Frag Plug.

And they are 3-5 Heads not Single Polyps.

They are all Green and A-Grade not Rainbow of Course.

Mark9
11/03/2015, 08:30 AM
I'm thinking more along the lines of the acans I see on cherry corals and world wide corals. Live aquaria has some on divers den that are dull green and way overpriced. Hopefully they're aqua culturing some of the more unique ultras, but I have not seen them offered.

I know I digress, but what's up with divers Den and the blue pictures?
Half of the lps look normal, half look a really odd mauve color.
It's like they have 2 photographers, one who does not know how to adjust white balance.