PDA

View Full Version : External pump question

Mrramsey
05/01/2014, 04:59 AM
In the near future I think I will replace my mag24. It is just a bit too noisy for my taste. I am thinking about a sicce synchra 10 HF but wanted to get opinions on going external.

My sump is a 55g and it is not drilled. I know I have seen somewhere the someone has done this by constructing a u tube. Has anyone done this?

ken6217
05/01/2014, 07:56 AM
Drill the sump and put in a bulkhead. Use a 1 3/4" drill bit.

Cutting acrylic is easy. I'm not even sure how it could get screwed up.

This will make your life easier.
Ken

Mrramsey
05/01/2014, 09:27 AM
Its a glass tank. Acrylic would be a no brainer. I really do not want to break the sump down to still it. I know drillind is not hard but there is Too much risk involved on an established tank. If it cracked I'd be screwed. I'd need another sump ready to go.

ken6217
05/01/2014, 09:30 AM
Its a glass tank. Acrylic would be a no brainer. I really do not want to break the sump down to still it. I know drillind is not hard but there is Too much risk involved on an established tank. If it cracked I'd be screwed. I'd need another sump ready to go.

Oh. I thought you meant you were drilling an acrylic sump. I wouldn't touch glass either. I would bring it somewhere though to do it.
Ken

Raoul5Duke
05/01/2014, 12:28 PM
Drilling glass is easy with the proper drill bit. You just have to be patient and go slow. Also, you need to make sure the glass isn't tempered, which it likely isn't unless its the bottom pane.

Mrramsey
05/01/2014, 12:41 PM
I do not want to drill... not because it is not easy. I have drilled before. I don't want to break down the sump on a running system to do it. Is it possible to drill the side while it is in place? I could just empty the return chamber and not worry a out disturbing the rest of the sump and fuge. That would be the only way I would do it. But I would still run a risk of cracking it. Then I am screwed unless I have another sump ready to go.

So again this question is not about it being easy to drill glass. It is about the specific conditions that apply to this scenario.

The tank is running. My options for an equivalent pump to replace the mag 24 are limited with submersible pumps.

sowildpaul
05/01/2014, 12:59 PM
If you don't want to drill, then you have to use a submersible pump. Try one of the DC pumps which are very popular now.

ca1ore
05/01/2014, 01:07 PM
In the near future I think I will replace my mag24. It is just a bit too noisy for my taste. I am thinking about a sicce synchra 10 HF but wanted to get opinions on going external.

My sump is a 55g and it is not drilled. I know I have seen somewhere the someone has done this by constructing a u tube. Has anyone done this?

I ran an external pump with a 'U' tube for years and it generally worked fine. It's kind of a pain to prime (you have to thread an airline tubing up one side of the U to suck out the air) and is actually the only time where I would still recommend using a check valve. What can happen is that when power is lost, the initial back-siphon, even if minimal, can air-lock the 'U' tube. Check valve, ball kind preferred, will prevent this even if it doesn't always seat perfectly.

Mrramsey
05/01/2014, 01:10 PM
Thanks calore! Not sure I will do it but it does open some additional options