PDA

View Full Version : Silence 1073.04 Return Pump

dan_mudder
05/01/2014, 07:31 PM
Hello,
I purchased the 1073.040 return pump on 12/10/12 from Marine Depot and the other day I noticed the return pump wasn't on since my display tank water level was low. I took it apart and did the clean and diluted vinegar bath, put it back together and it didn't work. Every appears to be clean without any buildup and the shaft spins freely. I can't see any damage to the unit or cord so I'm confused.

rvitko
05/02/2014, 10:03 AM
Make sure that the ceramic bushings are not fused to the ceramic shaft, the shaft should spin in these bushings which consist of a ceramic sleeve inside a red silicon bushing and these should be firmly seated in their sockets at the front and back of the pump and not free on the shaft.

dan_mudder
05/02/2014, 10:45 AM
I did that last night, the ceramic ends slide right off the shaft and spin freely. I should mention that I ordered a replacement shaft about 6 months ago from the Tunze website after I accidently dropped the original and cracked one of the ceramic ends, but I wouldn't think that would be an issue since it has worked fine until this week.

rvitko
05/02/2014, 10:59 AM
I am at a loss, I can only guess the motor has failed which is very unusual, I can only recall one 1073.020 with a dead motor in the years these have been available. Are you sure the outlet works? It is still under warranty, if you mail me the pump with the receipt and their is no damage to the cord or signs it ran dry, it would be replaced.

Tunze USA
305 Victor St
Austin, TX 78753