PDA

View Full Version : Cover the tank?

Gatorbait
05/02/2014, 11:58 PM
Would it be possible to put a glass or acrylic cover over @ 90% of my tank without it affecting the gas exchange? I'm having some major humidity issues in the room the tank is in. It's an Elos 160 (145g) with a 40 breeder sump below it. The room is in my basement without any windows and I have noticed the humidity has gone crazy. I have a dehumidifier running and it doesn't get below 70%, it started at 80-85%. My couch and furniture had a "dew" like feeling for a while when the furnace stopped running so much when it started warming up. I've even noticed some rust spots on some of my electronics! My top off reservoir needs filling a lot faster as well since turning on the dehumidifier. Would the skimmer and the sump provide enough surface area to aerate the whole water volume so I can cover the main tank and hopefully slow down the evap? I'm afraid if I can't slow down or stop this the tank will have to go.

Reefer54
05/03/2014, 12:08 AM
the problem with glass or opaque covers is salt creep adn algae growth. The best option if you can do it is to install an exhaust fan going outside. you can also try putting a salt or rice bag nearby...something that will aid in absorption, but usually those tend not to be very efficient in proportion.

julie180
05/03/2014, 05:40 AM
Instead of covering the tank, concentrate on air movement and exchange.

ryeguyy84
05/03/2014, 07:05 AM
what temp do you keep the tank at? if it's in the basement can you somehow vent some of it to the 1st floor? Maybe something like a spa fan hooked up to a humidistat to vent upstairs or out a bathroom vent fan or a dryer vent (no sure about the dryer vent)