PDA

View Full Version : What kind of hermit Crab is this?

Enavas
05/03/2014, 05:55 PM
I saw this huge thing and was wondering what kind of hermit Crab is it. Does anyone know? 276250

Calappidae
05/04/2014, 07:09 AM
Dardanus megistos

Enavas
05/04/2014, 10:23 AM
Thanks Joe. Interesting crab. I might consider adding it to my mantis tank.

Calappidae
05/04/2014, 10:29 AM
Thanks Joe. Interesting crab. I might consider adding it to my mantis tank.

I doubt that will work out...

Although some mantis shrimp are very nice and calm.. others if not most are indeed killing machines.

I have a small N. wennerae living with my rarely colored calico crab without issue.. but my last N. wennerae would kill asterina stars if he saw them.

My one O. scyllarus I hand feed and he lets a velvet damsel sleep in his burrow..

My other O. scyllarus on the other hand will kill copepods climbing the glass (which worries me as she strikes the glass in the process) How she even sees them is beyond me..

Not only that but if the mantis DOES get along with the crab odds are the crab can crush, kill, or harass the mantis as I've seen a full grown hermit crab of that species larger than my head in person! Excluding the shell!

Enavas
05/04/2014, 11:09 AM
Yeah, the hermit does get huge. I figure my N. Wennerae will allow it to live for a while. The crab is the same size as the Wennerae. I will probably the the crab into my sump once it gets bigger

MaskedRogue
05/09/2014, 10:53 AM
I have a large variety of hermits and turbo snails (and emerald crabs) all living with my n. wennerae. He ignores them all for the most part. When the smallest hermit was deep in it's shell molting, the mantis took the shell as decoration for his doorstep. I think he got a little peeved that his decor got up and walked away.. but you get the idea.

For everything I've seen and read about mantis, it all comes down to the individual one's personality. I also feel like my hand (well, tong feeding) of the mantis every couple of days keeps him well fed and not looking to hunt his tank mates.