PDA

View Full Version : Refugium Setups

desertcelt
05/04/2014, 12:00 PM
I've always thought that a refugium was a good addition to the reef system and have tried to have them on my tanks in the past. My current setup includes a eShopps RS-200 sump which has a large refugium in the center. Nothing in there now except a tumbling medium size ball of chaeto. In my previous refugiums I would always end up with tiny white crustaceans all over the glass which required scraping from time to time. I assumed these were copepods. Not wanting my fuge to become a mess again, and get the best bang for the buck, I want to set it up properly this time. A few questions:

1. Substrate. I've only had crushed coral substrates in the past but am leaning towards a Miracle Mud one this time. Any cons to this? I've seen no specific reasons folks don't like it, but the mfg sings its praises quite loudly.

2. Macro algae/plants. Only have had chaeto in my refugiums in the past. I've heard other reefers talk about other types of MA but I don't know which is best. Plants? Macro algae? Both? What kinds work best? Lighting? Also is it true that you should have chaeto tumble in order to prevent the crustaceans from forming?

3. Livestock. I've never had any fuge only livestock purposely placed there. Any suggestions on what should be in the fuge if any?

Any insight into this area of the reef system would be appreciated.