PDA

View Full Version : Sump Plumbing Question

Michfish77
05/04/2014, 01:40 PM
Hello
First off i just want to say how much i love this forum. Secondly i am a newbie with plumbing so i am trying to do this right lol. I am currently working on my plumbing for my sump and I am a bit confused. My DT is a 165 Gallon (72X24X22) and my sump is a 40 BR. My return pump is the Eheim 1262. I have divided the sump into 3 sections (Skimmer -> Return <=> Fuge). I am just trying to understand all the valves i am going to need. This system is going to have the Herbie overflow. My questions are:
1.) Am i correct in needing 4 gate valves?
- 1 for main drain
- 1 for back up drain
- 1 for return line
- 1 to control flow to fuge
2.) With the gate valves should i or will i also need to include ball valves somewhere?
3.) On the return line should i use flexible or the hard pvc pipe?
4.) Regarding elbows, is it better to keep them all 45 or is it ok to go with 90 degree?

Thank you
Marc

Mrramsey
05/04/2014, 04:49 PM
It depends on the drain system you are using. As far as I am aware you only put valves on Heriberto or beananimal drains. For a standard durso you do not put a valve on the drains. You control the flow with the valve on the return. The one for the fuge is fine or any other return line accessories. Gates are more expensive but have some advantages such as being easier to fine tune. I use all ball valves on mine. I prefer hard pipe with a piece of flex connecting the return pump to dampen vibrations. 45 degree fittings tend to be quieter 90s you can have more cavitation in drains. The return is different and 90s are fine.

Use unions wherever you think there is a good place to put one. Makes life easier when you need to maintain or replace equipment.

Vinny Kreyling
05/04/2014, 05:11 PM
NO - you only need Gate Valves on the main drains.
Emergency drains should be left full size all the way to the sump ABOVE the water level in the sump.
YOU WANT TO HEAR THE NOISE.
Return line can be either but flex will absorb some vibration.
If you need an elbow on the drains use 45's
Valves for the return pump & fuge are a good idea, a gate valve gives you "fine tuning" advantage.

Michfish77
05/04/2014, 06:21 PM
Thank you both for the comments and feedback. I trying to take this slow and do things correctly the first time around.

Mrramsey
05/04/2014, 06:37 PM
Thank you both for the comments and feedback. I trying to take this slow and do things correctly the first time around.

That's the best way to go about this hobby.