PDA

View Full Version : New to Saltwater

racin_33
05/04/2014, 03:45 PM
Hi, My name is Jeff and I'm looking at getting into Saltwater so any help and ideas.

ReneeF
05/04/2014, 04:37 PM
Hi Jeff, Welcome to Reef Central! What size of tank are you interested in getting? What's your favorite fish and/or corals?

Planefanatic
05/04/2014, 05:30 PM
Hello Jeff! Welcome to RC! I would suggest to do a fish only with live rock. That way if and when you decide to do coral you would be all set. The big question is how big you would you like go. The bigger the more stable the system will be. I think a good start would be a 40 breeder and run a trickle filter. I also have a 90gal going up for sale complete with lights and sump. Although I live in largo fl. Not sure where you are at. If you are close to me shoot me a pm and we could meet up

gone fishin
05/04/2014, 05:50 PM
I would start by reading the stickies at the top of the page. They will give you an idea on what is needed. so you can ask more specific questions. Good luck to you.

Sgt Jonny Cat
05/04/2014, 05:50 PM
Hi Jeff, take it from a rookie to the hobby...start off with a drilled tank! Also known as reef ready so you can run a sump easily...

Freind
05/04/2014, 06:06 PM
Hi, My name is Jeff and I'm looking at getting into Saltwater so any help and ideas.

Hello Jeff,
I'm also new to SW like you, but I use to have FW for many years.
Before you start you have to consider seriously about following.
1. SW is expensive hobby.
2. It requires patience, specially in the beginning.
3. Its time consuming and commitment base hobby and you have to punctual on all your schedule.
Please think about these before you start. I don't mean to discourage you but I don't want you be disappointed in later time,
Thanks,

racin_33
05/04/2014, 06:15 PM
Plane Fanatic, I was looking at starting with a 75g RR,I was going to start with the easiest fish to take care with live rock, I've been to a few fish stores checking everything out, your right it's not a cheap start up if your gonna do it right.I'm fro Daytona Beach.

Freind
05/04/2014, 07:49 PM
Plane Fanatic, I was looking at starting with a 75g RR,I was going to start with the easiest fish to take care with live rock, I've been to a few fish stores checking everything out, your right it's not a cheap start up if your gonna do it right.I'm fro Daytona Beach.
If you buy online, you will get really good deals. I purchase most of the things from ebay. But buy most important things like pump, skimmer from some good online retailer. I bought mine from petmountain, petsolustion, Dr. Fostersmith.

I would also recommend a sump. It is most successful way of filtration. you can also install all the equipment in the sump, except the power heads.

Before adding the fish, you may know that you have to run the nitrogen/biological cycle. And this is the most important and slow process for the new tank. You can also do it quickly but you may have purchase Bacterial Additives. I have done mine naturally so I don't know how good it is.

Planefanatic
05/05/2014, 12:07 AM

I started in FW and then 12 years ago i made the switch to SW. I have been here on RC from December of last year. I will never own another FW, not to bash Fresh, just love the colors of the life you can put in SW. When i started, I had a predatory tank, groupers triggers lions and a maroon clown that was the sheriff in the tank, I am now a Reef addict. a 75 is good to start with. If you can find a pre-drilled tank jump on it!!!!! Also if you can find the biggest sump you can fit under your tank the better. that will only allow for expansion as well as more water volume. I am currently building a 225 acrylic with a 75 gallon refugium/sump. i would have gone bigger although all of the equipment i have put a stop to that; as well as the limited space under the tank. I need a fish room lol. Start with your basics then go from there. Dont go balls to the wall and get equipment that would only confuse/ be a hassle to have. Start with Tank, Stand, Return pump, Skimmer. Of course your live/dry rock then sand; and no need for super powerful lights for starting, unless you want to start with corals (highly suggest not to).

My local fish shop asked me when i started do you want a Reef tank or a fish only, i said reef, the owner looked at me and was like NO! lol you will start with fish only. He to this day gets my business and will always get my business. I do buy online but mostly i like to support local shops. There is an emense world of knowledge here on Reef Central as well as local shops. When buying online you need to know what you are getting and research the hell out of what you are getting/brand. I cannot tell you the amount of times i have face palmed due to my own stupidity of not researching enough.

Take this new world SLOW! lol Freshwater seems much more forgiving, unless you have played around with Discus (never could keep them alive). If you have a question dont hesitate to ask, Pm me or jump on Tampa Bay Reef Club here on RC, in the sub links. That is where i usually am lurking, and again there is much knowledge here on the forum.

This is a very rewarding hobby, And when i have parties at my house/people over they always stare at the tank. I have alot of anxiety sometimes and i watch my tank for like 30min-1hr a day to destress.

Reefer54
05/05/2014, 03:48 AM
buy a couple books. read them. start devising a plan with a set goal (or a bunch of small goals) adn then start researching what you will need and what you will need to do to attain it.

good luck, have fun. research

mikey_m2067
05/05/2014, 04:07 AM
Names Mike, New to saltwater wanting to start up a 29 gal fowlr tank, do i need to have a sump or can i do without one?

racin_33
05/05/2014, 04:27 AM
Most definitely going pre drilled to start with,just gonna take it slow.Yes the fish are much more colorful that's why I'm making the switch.

racin_33
05/05/2014, 04:29 AM
Been doing some reading on here,also what helps my had a 180g before I met her her ex took it,so I have some help there.

Prazhechka
05/06/2014, 03:38 AM
Good day everyone ! My name is Katarina, I'm from Czech Republic. I'm here to learn more about marine aquarium. Actually, I hope to find here answers for all my questions, for example - where do I have to start ? From what and what can I do with my freshwater aquarium, which I have now ?

racin_33
05/06/2014, 04:30 AM
Welcome I'm New myself.

JBeursken
10/26/2015, 06:14 AM
Yep, I'll go by Jeff B....laughing...

MeghanisradxD
10/26/2015, 07:22 AM
My suggestion is to read, read, and read some more. Spend as much time in this forum (and others) as you can, so you can read about others' mistakes and learn from them rather than making them yourself.

Good luck to you!