PDA

View Full Version : Someone help me get rid of this algae!!!

Biggibby18
05/04/2014, 09:32 PM
Okay first off I have a 55 FOWLR with a few fish and I cannot get all this algae to go away. I have used phosphate remover suggested by local fish store but nothing happens. I'm not leaving my lights on much either. The algae is kind of green and slimy looking. It's all on the sand. Pretty new established tank. Someone please help me out.

zeroalpha
05/04/2014, 10:14 PM
Hi, I'm new to this as well, but I've been reading a bunch and well, have you done any water changes? Also, are you over feeding? Finally, do you have a CUC (clean up crew)? If you are barely using your lights, then you have a high nutrient issue with high nitrates. A water change will reduce your nitrates. If you have a decently sized CUC, then they should be taking care of your algae problems.

Check out this link to reefcleaners (http://reefcleaners.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54&Itemid=319). It is a good article on different types of algae. In addition, they tell you what to get that can get rid of the nuisance algae. Good luck!!

100%hydrophylic
05/04/2014, 10:30 PM
A "new established tank" is a bit of an oxymoron. If your tank is new, then its probably a type of diatom, or blue green algae, cyano... new tank syndrome algaes. These things clear up with proper care and maintenance, and time for tank maturation. Clean up crews and proper flow can help. If your tank is established, this could be more of an issue.

rale2001
05/04/2014, 11:04 PM
My guess would def be nitrates what kind of filtration are you working with sump? Canister?