PDA

View Full Version : Tests kits

Kcin718
05/05/2014, 02:35 AM
I posted a little while ago about what kind of test kits people recommend, but the post flew off topic quickly and I got almost no suggestions. So short and sweet this time.
Right now I use a Seneye for temp, ph, ammonia and lighting.
I also use a API kit for Nitrate, Calcium, hardness, phosphates, Nitrite and Alkalinity

I read about Hanna Checker and Salifert. Anyone use this or recommend it?
Thanks!

SwampyBill
05/05/2014, 02:50 AM
Salifert & Elos test kits are about the best on the market & what I've used for yrs. API tests are pretty unreliable.

chris.scang
05/05/2014, 04:05 AM
I currently use Red Sea and Salifert. I have used API too but they are not nearly as accurate. I haven't used the Hanna Checker so I can't give you any recommendations on that one.

snorvich
05/05/2014, 04:20 AM
Salifert & Elos test kits are about the best on the market & what I've used for yrs. API tests are pretty unreliable.

I agree. I use Elos for Ca, Mag, Alk and have for years. Salifert is also highly recommended.

Sgt Jonny Cat
05/05/2014, 06:00 AM
I have API and don't like them. As soon as I need to re supply, I'm probably going salifert...Also, I'm a rookie so...good luck

Xavibear
05/05/2014, 06:15 AM
I'm partial to Red Sea tests.

thegrun
05/05/2014, 06:59 AM
I use Salifert for Ca, Mg and a Hana Checker for Phosphates and Alkalinity (Salifert works well for alkalinity also). I would not use API for tests where you want some accuracy. I used Red Sea Pro test kits for Ca, Mg and alkalinity side by side with Salifert and the results werre very close, but because I've used Salifert for many years I went back to them simply because they were a little easier for me to use.

shifty51008
05/05/2014, 07:09 AM
I use either salifert or redsea for cal, alk, and mag.

salifert for nitrate

hanna checker for phosphate

temp - ranco

thegrun
05/05/2014, 07:16 AM
I should have added refractometer for salinity, pH probe for pH. Whatever you use for a thermometer be sure to adjust it using a good lab grade thermometer for calibration.

Vinny Kreyling
05/05/2014, 08:09 AM
Salifert for everything except phosphate.
Too hard to really read.
Milwaukee Martini photometer for that test.

ClownsRCoo
05/05/2014, 09:25 AM
I think API are fine for Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate but probably not much else.

I have a hanna checker for Phosphate and find it very reliable and easy to use.

I use a hanna checker for Alkalinity as well and find it VERY easy to use and reliable. I was getting very inconsistent results with the red sea test and everyone seems to have a different oppinion on how to read the results which i was struggling with. Hanna is no guess work answer every time.

I do the Red Sea for my Calcium and Magnesium though.

m0nkie
05/05/2014, 09:29 AM
So these Hannah checker seem to work very well. Why isn't everyone using them? They have 4-5 different ones too. Seem to measure everything

thegrun
05/05/2014, 10:04 AM
They work well for phosphates and alkalinity, not well for other elements. Even for alkalinity I get the same results with either the Hana Checker, Red Sea or Salifert test kits and I find either of them easier to use and clean than the Hana checker.

EllisJuan
05/05/2014, 10:11 AM
Red Sea for Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate
Elos for Ca
Hanna Checker for Phosphate and Alkalinity
Apex for pH

garyinco
05/05/2014, 11:44 AM
Red Sea for everything (easy to find refill reagent) but HannaChecker for low range phosphate. Every other phosphate test I've tried I used it one time and then threw it away.

MondoBongo
05/05/2014, 11:52 AM
i use a Hannah checker for my alkalinity and have become quite fond of it.

i started with the API tests and hated them. they were just about as good as guessing. i got some of the SeaChem tests since my main LFS is a SeaChem dealer. they're not too bad. although the ammonia test is a bit tricky. it basically always tells i have ammonia in my system, no matter what. i just don't believe it.

the nice thing about them is that they come with reference samples to double check your results. the ones i had for nitrate and alkalinity seemed to go bad fairly quickly, before the exp date, but i was able to verify the results with the reference sample.

inetmug
05/05/2014, 11:58 AM
When everyone says this checker or that checker, and API basically sucks, are we talking electronic checkers, or the liquid test kits? I am hoping it is the first as I just bought all new API chemicals...

Xavibear
05/05/2014, 12:05 PM
When everyone says this checker or that checker, and API basically sucks, are we talking electronic checkers, or the liquid test kits? I am hoping it is the first as I just bought all new API chemicals...

API tests suck.

m0nkie
05/05/2014, 12:07 PM

Hannah Checker is an electronic device. I was hoping I could use all of them instead of buying kits after kits.. guess they are only good with Phos and Alk.

http://www.waterworld.com/content/dam/ww/print-articles/2012/oct/hanna-checkers-1210ww.jpg

Kcin718
05/05/2014, 02:40 PM
my seneye is electric too. updates to my comp and smartphone in realtime which is why i like it. pricey tho

MinnFish
05/05/2014, 07:33 PM
One of the problems with the API kits. The test vials are not all marked the same. Check for yourself. No 2 vials are marked the same. And, if you use a 5 ml syringe. It's easy to tell, they are off as much as 1 to 1.5 ml. Just my observation. API are meant for freshwater and novice.

inetmug
05/05/2014, 07:58 PM
One of the problems with the API kits. The test vials are not all marked the same. Check for yourself. No 2 vials are marked the same. And, if you use a 5 ml syringe. It's easy to tell, they are off as much as 1 to 1.5 ml. Just my observation. API are meant for freshwater and novice.

Well, I am a novice for sure. But I am SW. I will be FOWLR. API is the one kit I see alot in all the LFS. Are these API chemical kits good enough for that?

The API kits are predominant in the Brevard County LFS in Florida. There is a store in Palm Bay, guy named Matt, probably has 100K in fish and corals at any given time. If not mistaken, he uses API chemical kits last time I was in there.

Thanks for pointing out the marking, I will check that, I have several of those syringes. Easy enough to re-mark the vials if that is the only issue.

MinnFish
05/05/2014, 08:12 PM
Well, I am a novice for sure. But I am SW. I will be FOWLR. API is the one kit I see alot in all the LFS. Are these API chemical kits good enough for that?

The API kits are predominant in the Brevard County LFS in Florida. There is a store in Palm Bay, guy named Matt, probably has 100K in fish and corals at any given time. If not mistaken, he uses API chemical kits last time I was in there.

Thanks for pointing out the marking, I will check that, I have several of those syringes. Easy enough to re-mark the vials if that is the only issue.

Not quite the only issue, I have with API. I'm not going into the debate about API or any other kits. Use what you want, each to its own. I will say, I use several different kits and they all have issues. Unless, you have lab grade testing equipment. You are just guessing in a ballpark. Think about this one, how accurate is the droplets on each squeeze.

inetmug
05/05/2014, 08:19 PM
Not quite the only issue, I have with API. I'm not going into the debate about API or any other kits. Use what you want, each to its own. I will say, I use several different kits and they all have issues. Unless, you have lab grade testing equipment. You are just guessing in a ballpark. Think about this one, how accurate is the droplets on each squeeze.

Over time I plan to get the one kit that is automatic, I forget the name, but many on here have it. Like $150 or so.

I agree, with out a lab, you are going to be +/- some amount.

Fishyoga
05/05/2014, 10:13 PM
So after finding this thread, I decided to check my kits. I do have, and do use the API for pH (rarely test), NO2, NO3, and NH3. The vials all match. the volumes are close enough to consistent for my liking for those particular tests.
I use Hagen for Calcium, Alk, and PO4, cause that's what the store had available at that time. I use an Elos for Mg.
I'm new, have a fish only tank, spending my money slowly so as to not make costly mistakes.
I check on my take pretty carefully every day, but usually only test NH3, NO2, and NO3 once per week, or once every two weeks.
Although I haven't had a situation to cause me to believe the API are crap, I know of some who have. And the results are quite broad range in my opinion. The color can be difficult to really determine sometimes.
I think test kits come down to money, ease of use, and margin of error. I think we could probably all agree that 'you get what you pay for'?

Just make sure that whatever the kit you use, be CONSISTENT with your testing procedures. (I test before water changes, and use the same droppers for the specific tests.) At the very least eliminate as much of the human error as possible.

Kcin718
05/06/2014, 02:46 AM
yeah im buying a new kit for nitrate asap. i checked my water and it said 10ppm. used a second vile that came with the kit and tested some water i have mixed for a water change in a few weeks and it was exactly the same color.... i mean exactly. not to say its not right, but i just have a gut feeling that makes me want to check it against another kit.

reefcoco
05/06/2014, 08:10 AM
Most often API are recommended by LFS this is what they sell, it is a good test kit for beginners. Once you do more testing you want something more accurate this is where Salifert and Hanna tester comes in.