PDA

View Full Version : Chloraguard carbon block placement

jjvanb
05/05/2014, 02:50 PM
I recently purchased a Chloraguard carbon block and want to know if it needs to be placed before or after my chlorine grabber carbon block.

After doing some reading, I have seen advice both ways. Every chloramine reducing R/O system I have seen offered by different vendors contain both, but doesn't the chloramine block remove chlorine as well? What is the purpose of using both?

Thanks

Buckeye Hydro
05/05/2014, 02:56 PM
I'd go in this order:
sediment filter(s)->Chloraguard->other high quality carbon block

Chloramines are more difficult to remove than chlorine, as chloramine requires more contact time with the carbon. 2 carbon blocks = double the contact time. The Chloraguard is made a a special very fast acting type of carbon. Yes - it will "remove" both chloramine and chlorine

Russ

jjvanb
05/05/2014, 03:02 PM
Thanks!

jjvanb
10/13/2014, 02:43 PM
How do I know when it's time to change out my chloroguard and carbon blocks?

Buckeye Hydro
10/22/2014, 06:55 AM
Those filters are the best on the market - they are rated for chloramine reduction at 3,500 gallons @ 0.5 gpm capacity. Like any carbon block, I'd replace it at about 1/2 to 2/3rds of the rated capacity.

You can also test for chloramines if you'd like a more precise answer.

Russ

Ma_reefer
11/10/2014, 04:20 AM
Those filters are the best on the market - they are rated for chloramine reduction at 3,500 gallons @ 0.5 gpm capacity. Like any carbon block, I'd replace it at about 1/2 to 2/3rds of the rated capacity.

You can also test for chloramines if you'd like a more precise answer.

Russ

Not to thread hijack but how do you test for chloramines? The same as chlorine?

Buckeye Hydro
11/10/2014, 04:33 AM
You can test for chloramines by measuring Total chlorine, and also free chlorine, Test kits for each are available at buckeye, and are widely available elsewhere too.

Russ