PDA

View Full Version : IM Nano 16 (advice on filtration)

Blindf8th
05/05/2014, 09:11 PM
Been talking to my LFS and they suggested something I had not heard before. I just wanted to hear everyone else chime in before making my decision.

Basically he suggested that I remove my 2 filters all together instead of replacing them or buying better 3rd party options. The guy owns the store and has been involved with the hobby for over 25 years. He apparently has also had a hand in naming the crazy Zoe's that we all like to try and track down and he does seem very knowledgeable on all topics aquarium related.

His logic seems sound, but I'm not sure I'm sold. Filters filter out the detrius etc that is in our tank. Now, this causes build up in the filters (Nitrates, Nitrites, and eventually Ammonia) which in turn could and would eventually start to pollute the water as it is just collecting waste instead of removing it. He suggested that I remove the filters completely and buy live rock to add to both chambers. The idea being that all of the scavengers etc that eat all of the waste we want to remove actually help the natural system.

Thoughts? Has anyone else out there removed their filters?

PS: Nanobox Duo review almost complete :o)

Thanks,
Blind

Steveabg
05/05/2014, 10:43 PM
I haven't tried it, but all-natural filtration is certainly a legitimate option. That's supposed to be the point of live sand and live rock.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rs/feature/index.php

terrypercula
05/06/2014, 05:14 AM
That's why you should replace them or clean them regularly. It's the same argument against filter socks. Filter socks are great until you get lazy and leave the same one in for months :lol:

I agree you could put rock back there but it would have to be some small rubble. I think it's an experiment worth trying. FWIW I pretty much rode the stock filters out the whole time it was set up. Only replaced mine once but also took one side out entirely and ran just macro algae back there.

Ls2Goat
05/07/2014, 09:29 PM
IMO the filter racks are only in the tank to hold the mechanical and chemical filtration.
I'd say you could get away with not using chemical filtration such as carbon/phosban/GFO/chemipure but I still recommend using some sort of mechanical filtration. Some filter floss in the top part of the racks is ideal as it catches quite a bit of waste and is easily swapped out.

Blindf8th
05/07/2014, 09:57 PM
Thank you for the input. I heard about filter floss for the first time this evening so it's re-assuring to here someone else mention it. Lets say I do that in chamber 1. What do you recommend for say 2 and 3.

Part of my goal is to avoid paying the ridiculous prices these companies place on there sponge replacements. I'm glad to spend what I need to, but if the ROE isn't there then why bother :)

Thanks,
Blind

ExpensiveHobby
05/08/2014, 01:32 PM
Here is how my NUVO16 is set up (if you are behind the tank, facing it)

Far Left Chamber : IM custom caddy fuge basket with Chaeto and a MagnaFuge light

Inside left Chamber : Filter Floss (folded 3 times)

Center : heater, upgraded return pump

Inside right Chamber : IM protein Skimmer

Far right Chamber : Stock media basket with stock media, bag of carbon

Lilmatty5dimes
07/09/2014, 08:31 PM
Here is how my NUVO16 is set up (if you are behind the tank, facing it)

Far Left Chamber : IM custom caddy fuge basket with Chaeto and a MagnaFuge light

Inside left Chamber : Filter Floss (folded 3 times)

Center : heater, upgraded return pump

Inside right Chamber : IM protein Skimmer

Far right Chamber : Stock media basket with stock media, bag of carbon

How do you like the im custom caddy? Thinking of ordering a pair soon. And what about the skimmer? Is it worth it?