PDA

View Full Version : Banded Coral Shrimp

Drew52
05/06/2014, 04:28 PM
Hello everyone...thinking about adding a banded coral shrimp to my 29 gallon BioCube, no other shrimp in the tank. I've read many conflicting opinions on these guys, are they as bad as some would say or has anyone had good experiences with them? Thanks in advance...

xnetgeek
05/06/2014, 04:59 PM
Hello everyone...thinking about adding a banded coral shrimp to my 29 gallon BioCube, no other shrimp in the tank. I've read many conflicting opinions on these guys, are they as bad as some would say or has anyone had good experiences with them? Thanks in advance...

Honestly, coral banded shrimp are cool, reef safe, and I personally have never had a problem with mine.

BoxesOfTheSea
05/06/2014, 05:16 PM
I had one take out a Bangaii Cardinal.

Justletters7
05/06/2014, 05:55 PM
I think their cool but heard to many stories of them taking fish.

ska d
05/06/2014, 06:00 PM
Only problem in had with mine is it set up shop right smack in the middle of a nice cave/tunnel that the fish used as a gateway to another dimension. Lol. But the CBS put a stop to that, anything that came close would be chased away. Eventually the fish just stopped going to that part of the tank. The CBS is noe in the sump and the highway has since reopened to fish traffic. This was in a 90g so I know how precious space is especially in a 29 bio.

Coach Vince
05/06/2014, 06:48 PM
Just put two in my tank today and watched. The shrimps go along fine, both stayed on their sides of my 90 and even when they met each other they didn't care.

Now the fish swimming by them on the other hand were very stressed as they kept trying to go after them. One managed to grab my Mandarin but he got away. One is now out, the other is hiding from me but he's coming out tonight.

SwampyBill
05/06/2014, 06:56 PM
When I first started reefing, I used to love coral banded shrimp until I saw one too many get aggressive w/ fish. Now I stick w/ blood shrimp...Kinda shy but play MUCH better w/ other tankmates. & it's cool to watch them 'clean' my hands when doing tank maintenance.

justthewife
05/06/2014, 07:06 PM
Banded Coral shrimp will act with fish like the cleaner shrimp do. I have heard they can get a little aggressive with the fish but so far mine has not done that. When we first got it, it had a few scuffles with the other tank mates but then it was fine. He also lost one claw and is now growing it back. Bad molt maybe?

davocean
05/06/2014, 07:08 PM
Typically they are pretty mean, especially to other inverts

Matthias7
05/06/2014, 07:47 PM
I have never witnessed my cbs being aggressive in my tank. I have seem him eating bristle worms though :)

seventhz
05/06/2014, 09:25 PM
I once introduced two to my tank, then one morning I only had one, and several pieces of one :P

SwampyBill
05/06/2014, 10:59 PM
Yea, unless they're a proven pair, there will usually be only one left...

ReneeF
05/06/2014, 11:07 PM
When I first started reefing, I used to love coral banded shrimp until I saw one too many get aggressive w/ fish. Now I stick w/ blood shrimp...Kinda shy but play MUCH better w/ other tankmates. & it's cool to watch them 'clean' my hands when doing tank maintenance.

Ugh, this happens to me with my fire & cleaner shrimp and freaks me out every time. I'm not food, stop touching me! The cbs look so sweet, have always wanted one , but have gotten negative head shakes from lfs so have refrained

SwampyBill
05/07/2014, 12:21 AM
Yea, it can be kinda skeevy; but I'd still rather them than spiders...:)

MythicalReef
05/07/2014, 12:42 AM
Gave mine back to the lfs when it jumped and caught the tailfin of clown too many times.

EllisJuan
05/07/2014, 02:04 AM
I have had two. Both eventually turned into total bullies. Never again.

ReeferKimberly
05/07/2014, 02:50 AM
Gorgeous....and never again. Like a woman who seems to good to be true ;)

Kills all other shrimp for me, caught a fish. shame, so pretty.

I hear the golden ones, Stenopus hispidus, are maybe less aggressive. They are certainly smaller.

snorvich
05/07/2014, 05:57 AM
they can and will take shrimp, and can and will take fish. Your choice.

Drew52
05/07/2014, 06:16 AM
Thanks to everyone for their replies...has anyone had any experience with the gold or blue CBS? I understand they stay much smaller and less aggressive?

mluntz
05/07/2014, 08:55 AM
I've had a cbs in my tank since the onset. Never had any problems with fish. He just seems to stay in his cave most of the time. He might come out at feeding time for a moment or two, but basically seems to keep to himself.

inetmug
05/07/2014, 09:28 AM
spot feed the shrimp with a feeding tube

cloak
05/07/2014, 11:35 AM
I had a CBS, along with two cleaners and a fire shrimp in a 60 gallon tank without any problems. Like mentioned above, it would stay in a cave most of the time, and really only venture out when I fed the fish.

dmh41532
05/07/2014, 02:54 PM
I had one, the seller said reef safe. It destroyed a coral, I don't know if it ate it, just shredded it. It also went after a firefish.