PDA

View Full Version : Overflow cover... TAPS was played tonight

Mhay
05/06/2014, 10:18 PM
So long story short I have a custom glass overflow box, coast-to-coast style, with a bean animal overflow. I love it. Only problem is up until tonight my clowns were the only ones to get swept away. Tonight both my smiths blenny and black combtooth blenny got swept in and sucked down to the sump. Smiths blenny made it into the filter sock. Back blenny got stuck in the pumbling and died. Which is what alerted me to the problem. Needless to say I'm upset my favorite fish is now gone and. Have a temporary fix. Anyone have any suggestions on keep the fish safe?

Mhay
05/06/2014, 10:22 PM
Also, I have a screen top because I have a jumper in the tank. So many ideas would need to be compatible with a screen top. What I have right now the screen top isn't able to cover all areas so I'm a little concerned about that but I don't have much of a choice

nmbeg
05/06/2014, 10:26 PM
Hmmm is it too much flow?

Mhay
05/06/2014, 10:34 PM
It's been the same it has for to whole time these fish have been in it. If that is the case I can't do anything about it other than a cover of some sort. And just looking for ideas or suggestions from people that have one. :)

Mhay
05/07/2014, 06:11 AM
The smiths blenny made it through the night! He was probably just a little shook up from his pipeline ride.

myram
05/07/2014, 06:23 AM
I made a cover for my overflow with lexan, they sell it at Home Depot in various sizes. Just mark out your size you need, and use a jig saw to cut it to size. I sprayed it black to block light and help stop algae from growing inside the overflow.

Mhay
05/07/2014, 07:32 AM
That just may work; I'll have to take a look! Thanks for the suggestion!

twistedfinn967
05/07/2014, 10:02 AM
Got any pics of that overflow box w/the bean animal? I'd like to see it.
Thanks!

Mhay
05/07/2014, 10:31 AM
http://i964.photobucket.com/albums/ae130/maggiehay/image_zpsab3383d3.jpg (http://s964.photobucket.com/user/maggiehay/media/image_zpsab3383d3.jpg.html)

It's an old picture. Probably 3 months old but the only one I really have. The pipe on the right is no longer turned like that