PDA

View Full Version : Will EB8 work as a power strip w/o controller?

JoelA7
05/06/2014, 10:30 PM
Hi. Title says it all. As I get the system dialed in, gate valve on drain adjusted, heights of pipes, leak checks, etc., I would like to run manually. Then add the apex controller etc in a few weeks. Will the EB8s function like normal power strips?

Mark Bianco
05/07/2014, 05:34 AM
No this will not work without the controller

JoelA7
05/07/2014, 08:46 AM
Thanks Mark. This looks devilishly complex so I'll be back soon! :-)

aleithol
05/07/2014, 11:43 AM
OP, I've not tried this, but a thought if you have both the controller and EB8. Mark may want to chime in in case I'm all washed-up.

Start up your controller. Attach the EB8 to it temporarily. Program each of the 8 outlets with at least one line and nothing else "Fallback ON". Then, unplug your EB8 from the Controller, and test each of the outlets with a lamp or something while the EB8 is only plugged into a wall socket and nothing else... If all goes as I suspect, the EB8 will have each of the 8 outlets on all the time... Fallback is all about what state one wants the outlet to be in IF the module looses communication to the controller. I think you could take advantage of that if you have the controller to first tell the EB8 how to operate in such a situation.

JoelA7
05/07/2014, 11:50 AM
Thanks. I was hoping to be able to postpone learning the apex a week or few but seems I need to address it somewhat.

Mark Bianco
05/07/2014, 03:39 PM
OP, I've not tried this, but a thought if you have both the controller and EB8. Mark may want to chime in in case I'm all washed-up.

Start up your controller. Attach the EB8 to it temporarily. Program each of the 8 outlets with at least one line and nothing else "Fallback ON". Then, unplug your EB8 from the Controller, and test each of the outlets with a lamp or something while the EB8 is only plugged into a wall socket and nothing else... If all goes as I suspect, the EB8 will have each of the 8 outlets on all the time... Fallback is all about what state one wants the outlet to be in IF the module looses communication to the controller. I think you could take advantage of that if you have the controller to first tell the EB8 how to operate in such a situation.

In theory you are 100% correct as the outlets will go to the fallback statement if communications is lost with the controller, but and I am not sure if power is lost to that eb8 when power is returned all bets are off as to how it will function. Maybe if you ask that question of Neptune they may say different.

My advise would be to spend a few dollars at Wal-Mart and buy one or two power strips until you are ready to program.

Mark Bianco
05/07/2014, 03:46 PM
Thanks. I was hoping to be able to postpone learning the apex a week or few but seems I need to address it somewhat.

If you set the system up close to your computer don't worry yet about the network port forwarding you can use most of the wizards for programming outlets and have it up and running in no time... Just us a table lamp for testing. If you get stuck feel free to pm me, however if its a network related question or have something to with port forwarding. I suggest posting your question on Neptunes support forum. That's where the experts hang out.

Mark

JoelA7
05/23/2014, 01:15 PM
Appreciate it guys. I've got it mostly up and running. Fusion too. After spending 100 for 5 years of DNS (*^^$&)*&^*09!!!! because Fusion Beta was temporarily closed. Looking for advice on programming but will either find it or start new thread.