PDA

View Full Version : Blue hornets gone wild!!

Amatuer21
05/07/2014, 04:38 PM
Got these blue hornets maybe 3 months ago and are doing very well. But, i don't know where to place these guys. I got polyps growing on all side on the frag disc and i need help finding a good place to put them. First photo is when i first got them, then now!!

Amatuer21
05/07/2014, 04:40 PM
Here is another pic from a different angle.

ViktorVaughn
05/10/2014, 06:58 AM
If the polyps are directly on the frag plug and not attached to any rock or rubble, I would just glue the frag plug in the center of a live rock, whatever size you'd like them to eventually encrust over. I always do this with my Zoanthids, after I take them off the frag plugs and discs, I hate the looks of those things. I much prefer to take 4 or 5 different frags off their plugs and super glue them onto a piece of live rock spread out with room to grow in and make a nice looking combo rock. Here's four months of growth, I have to find another rock to put it on as you can't even see any of the original rock. From the first picture it is hard to tell but there is just as much open rock being the frag as is visible in front of it.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=8282&pictureid=62898

http://reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=8282&pictureid=62813

luamada
05/11/2014, 09:25 PM
I loved it. How do you get them out of the frag disk? Does it hurt them to get them out? I do not like that disk either. Also do I need to get the rock out of the tank to do that? Thank you for the help
Lu

ViktorVaughn
05/11/2014, 09:59 PM
Yes, I always take the rock out of my tank whenever I decide to glue a bunch of different Zoanthids onto the same rock. Its way easier for me to work on them outside of the tank and I prefer using superglue to the reef epoxy. To take them off the disc I usually just pry them off gently with my fingers. More times than not, just a little force and the rock that the Zoanthids are on just pop right off the frag plug. If you have a frag that is hard to separate from the disc you can just use a small screwdriver or anything with a flat head to pop it off. Just make sure you don't miss and hit the Zoanthids and they will be fine. Sometimes I will have them out of the water for up to 5 minutes with no ill effects. The purple and orange ones I pictured above are probably my hardiest Zoanthids I have and when they have been out of the water the polyps just stay open.

Afenstem26
06/09/2014, 02:04 PM
Love the blue hornets. They are growing fast.

NavyBlueSea
06/09/2014, 04:36 PM
For 3 months growth they are looking pretty good. I would imagine they are to the side of the center of the light source so if you move them toward the center of the tank probably put them lower in the water column to try to match where they are now lighting wise.