PDA

View Full Version : What is this red slime and how to I get rid of it?

schninn
05/07/2014, 04:49 PM
This red slime appears to be slowly growing even though I siphon it out every week with my water change. What is it and how do I get rid of it? Thanks for all the help!

schninn
05/07/2014, 04:50 PM
It's actually more purple then red.

Xavibear
05/07/2014, 04:54 PM
Looks like cyano.

Change your bulbs if they are old. Siphon it out during water changes. Feed less. Add more flow.

melvinakshay
05/07/2014, 05:42 PM
I have the same issue.. i'm not sure if its an acceptable approach but I dosed my tank with API Algaefix marine and it has worked wonders !! It took out my hair algae too.

but the odd thing is that once I stopped dosing it.. the red slime is slowly creeping back up so I must be doing something wrong.

gone fishin
05/07/2014, 05:53 PM
but the odd thing is that once I stopped dosing it.. the red slime is slowly creeping back up so I must be doing something wrong.

You chemically put on a band aid but did not address the cause. This is why it will come back.

schninn
05/07/2014, 07:42 PM
My light fixture is a newer Maxspect Razor. I perform 5 gallon weekly water changes on this 30 gallon system. Xavibear mentioned increasing flow. The tank is an AIO. Should I add another power head or get a larger return pump?

SwampyBill
05/07/2014, 09:03 PM
Add a powerhead to increase more flow to that dead spot...

rvlcf
05/07/2014, 09:09 PM
Adding flow should help. What are your tank parameters. Have you checked your phosphates?

3dpilot
05/07/2014, 11:13 PM
Cyanobacteria = excess of nutrients. With that being said, you have to figure out where nutrients are coming from(prob overfeeding). It's good to test your nitrates and phosphate so you know exactly what your dealing with and know how much gfo or carbon to use.

When I was out on vacation, my auto feeder took a crap and fed a bit too much, came home after a month and my sand bed was all red, and corals retracted. It took me almost 8 weeks to completely get rid of my red slime by feeding less, weekly water changes(larger the better) and the use of gac and gfo thru a reactor. Fyi. I used rowaphos and stuff is awesome.

Sgt Jonny Cat
05/08/2014, 12:24 AM
I just had an out break, and I reduced the feeding, and shut off my lights for 3 days. Just let the ambient light in. I added a Jebao wp 25 as a second power head. ( I have a FOWLR tank). Along with that and water changes the cyano disappeared and hasn't come back. I'm not sure how keeping the lights out will work if you have corals, may be a question for someone with corals.

Xavibear
05/08/2014, 10:14 AM
3 days of lights out won't affect corals.