PDA

View Full Version : Reducing Shipping Costs

Buzz1329
05/07/2014, 06:28 PM
Not sure if this is the right forum for my question, but assume Mod will move (or delete) if necessary.

After establishing Fed Ex account (with 16% discount), I priced Fed Ex priority overnight package from NY to LA (residential) using ULine 15 x 13 x 8" box (containing 12 x 10 x 5" insulated cooler). It came out to $104.

Yikes! I then tried UPS, but it was even more expensive.

I can shave price to $90 using Fed X-large box (15.75'' x 14.1875" x 6''). But the biggest U-Line cooler that would fit in that box measures 8 x 6 x 7", which seems way too small.

So is there a better way to reduce the shipping cost?

Much appreciated.

Thricelll
05/07/2014, 07:58 PM
Find someone that works at FedEx or FedEx/kinkos and use their account. They get about 70%. The limit is around 16 packages every 24 hours though.

Buzz1329
05/09/2014, 03:43 PM
Find someone that works at FedEx or FedEx/kinkos and use their account. They get about 70%. The limit is around 16 packages every 24 hours though.

Well, that's kind of discouraging. Until I figure this out, I may try offering to eat some of the shipping costs.

parrthed
05/12/2014, 08:54 AM
Yeah, Shipping can be pricey. I usually just charge $50 for overnight shipping and eat the rest. I usually sell $400-500 worth frags at one go so its not too bad. Sometimes I just ship airport to airport too. Southwest has pretty good rates and it gets there pretty quickly.

Also before I could ship "live animals" via FedEx I had to send their packaging approval department a sample box so they could approve it.

Buzz1329
05/15/2014, 04:31 PM
Yeah, Shipping can be pricey. I usually just charge $50 for overnight shipping and eat the rest. I usually sell $400-500 worth frags at one go so its not too bad. Sometimes I just ship airport to airport too. Southwest has pretty good rates and it gets there pretty quickly.

Also before I could ship "live animals" via FedEx I had to send their packaging approval department a sample box so they could approve it.

Thanks! HFS, FedEx has a packaging approval department? Again, thanks for the heads up. Selling frags seemed so simple before getting to the nitty gritty.