PDA

View Full Version : PVC pipe/tube size for n. wennerae

MaskedRogue
05/08/2014, 11:51 AM
I'm thinking about getting my wennerae some tubing so I have a little bit more control as to where he hangs out (I hope).

What size pipe should I go with? I'd like it to be something that would be sustainable for it during it's entire lifespan that he wont outgrow.

Adetia
05/08/2014, 12:03 PM
N Wennera typically build their homes in the rock; mine never cared for the PVC i put in with it but if you want to go that route probably I'd say 1.5" or 2". Anything any larger than 2" would too large for a N Wennerae.

MaskedRogue
05/08/2014, 12:09 PM
Mine seems happy digging out under the rocks right now too, so perhaps I should just skip the pipe.

I'm mostly worrying about him picking a burrow that is at an angle which makes feeding him via tongs very difficult (the fluval edge 6 has a small opening). But I guess if he gets hungry enough he'll come out for it wherever he is.

Fartin'Gary
05/08/2014, 02:15 PM
I think Roy mentioned that twice the width of the animal is a good size tubing for it's burrow. They need just enough to turn around in it.

Calappidae
05/08/2014, 08:52 PM
Yep don't bother with PVC for N. wennerae. They like to build their own cavities.. hence why this is one of the more common species to be hitchhikers. Smashers that don't mine out their own cavities like O. scyllarus would appreciate the help however.

Fartin'Gary
05/09/2014, 08:30 AM
O. Scyllarus do dig out their own burrows. It's just that they don't have enough material in an aquarium to make a good one.

stepho
05/20/2014, 11:50 AM
Don't worry, when he gets hungry he will venture out for the food on the tongs. You dont want to feed him at his den anyway or he will just stay there all the time.

Also 1.5" pvc is way too big. If you want to have a chance of him going in there 1/2" or 3/4" is probably better.