PDA

View Full Version : Why did my clown babies die?

Lou Young
05/09/2014, 06:07 AM
I had a 10 gallon full if baby clown that were 25 days old. I had a seeded sponge filter and they were doing fine. I have been feeding TDO b1 for last 5 days but this morning they are all dead. I test water for ammonia and it was between 0-.25ppm. What other test should I do to stop this from happening to my next batch of babies?

dalilgriffith
05/09/2014, 07:50 AM
Do you have any photos or videos from before they died?

Lou Young
05/09/2014, 08:16 AM
No I don't but they were swimming and eating just fine. I have to get a complete saltwater test kit and test the water. I just don't know what could have change so much to kill them all so quickly.

Jaypilot
05/09/2014, 12:39 PM
Its possible it wasn't your water or feeding habits at all. I had a heater that had a very little short in it, but just enough to kill the fish. I also had another heater that stuck in the on position and over heated the tank. I also had a cleaning lady clean a picture next to one of my tanks with window cleaner and killed all the fry. So I have lost whole tanks full of fry three times with nothing wrong with the water.

Lou Young
05/09/2014, 01:47 PM
Hmmmm. Good points to consider. Thank you. I will dig deeper and start writing down notes so I can look back a see what happened rather than trying to rely on memory.

reefstew
05/09/2014, 04:15 PM
Many reasons why they died. How much water are you changing daily? Were they eating B1? I use A for the first 5 weeks & start B at 4 weeks. Was it aerated enough or over aerated? Do you have a filter on the tank? Does the temperature change much over 24 hours?

Lou Young
05/09/2014, 05:38 PM
Maybe they were not eating B1. I thought they were but maybe not. I put in sponge filter at day 10 and I change out about 30% water daily. Not sure what the temp changes are. Didn't even realize that the tank temp would change throughout the day. Does this happen temp change happen to you? How much temp change would cause babies to die?
As for aerating I may have it to high. Any advice on how to guage it?
Thank you.

gg1111
06/01/2014, 08:55 AM
don't think the aeration could kill them. well to good aeration would not, but too little could.

ernieq
06/04/2014, 11:22 AM
Did you test for Nitrites? Also b1 is kind of big for 25 day olds, I usually mixed a with b after about 30 days and eliminated A after about 40 days or so. I am on the other side of the fence as to water changes. I usually did about 30% every 3 days or so whenever I cleaned out the bottom of the tank, then managed ammonia with amquel or chloram x. By 25 days, they had a sponge filter, and power filter, and an airstone going full blast.