PDA

View Full Version : My first baby

Insert
05/09/2014, 01:20 PM
This is my first Salt tank that I inherited. Still working to get lvls right but all the fishies are happy. I would love to get feed back on things I should do or change. Hell even if you think its crap just let me know. Like I said I am new to this had many fresh water tanks in the past but just got bored with it. I've only had this tank for a week and I have already sunk many hours toying around and researching.

-
20 Gallons, eheim pump, 3 fish and LR. Might change lights soon to try a little reef

Cymonous
05/09/2014, 01:36 PM
Ditch the canister filter. It will increase your nitrates(which is not good for a reef). I see hair algae on the one rock in the first picture at least. You can take it out and scrub it with a toothbrush in a bucket of saltwater.

The HOB filter either ditch or run with a bag of gfo and/or carbon.

Get some good test kits, not API. Some good brands are Salifert and Red Sea.

Insert
05/09/2014, 01:45 PM
Just so I understand, Wouldn't I need the filter? Figured it would cycle my water and keep things moving without a sump.

Uncle Salty 05
05/09/2014, 02:08 PM
If you want to keep corals you will need to upgrade your lighting.
Do you have a full tank shot?
A sump is a much better alternative than a canister. Sumps give you much more flexibility and functionality.

Cymonous
05/09/2014, 02:11 PM
You have at least one powerhead on the left side. That should give you enough water movement. The HOB is just not necessary. The rock is your biological filtration. You can run the HOB if you want, but like I said you can put a bag of gfo or carbon in there. If you have the HOB just for water movement, it is not going to move much and is just a waste of electricity.

If you really want a good mechanical filtration, then get a HOB Skimmer.

johanasu
05/09/2014, 02:29 PM
I'd be wary of some of the advice on this thread. A HOB Filter is fine for MECHANICAL filtration, aka, removing particulates from the water. Just use a cartridge that has filter floss or filter floss and carbon.
You CAN run GFO in a HOB filter but the flow through the GFO is not ideal, a small media reactor would be better for GFO. GFO IS quite helpful at eliminating phosphates and helping with nuisance algae.

A protein skimmer is NOT mechanical filtration. A protein skimmer is a good idea but it removes dissolved organic material.

Insert
05/10/2014, 08:59 AM
Since I am new I don't follow all of the abbreviations everyone is using but I can follow what some are saying. This morning I did take out about 2 liters of water and replaced with RO water and im about 1.028 now and plan on doing again tomorrow. I also cleaned some of the rock with a toothbrush and tank is starting to look a lot better. My canister does have filter floss and a few layers of other rock inside. I can take a pic if you like. I do plan on going get a goby today and get a good test kit to see what my other lvls are since all I have now is a simple test strip tests.

FishInABarrel
05/10/2014, 09:11 AM
Just wondering why a canister filter increases nitrates? I run one for water polishing with carbon and phosphate remover.

I started my first salt tank after being up to 450 gal of freshwater in my house (mostly cichlids and a pair of motoro stingrays). I really like the diversity of life and the bright colours you can have in saltwater. I would sit and stare at it watching for any little critters u hadn't seen in there (hitch hikers, etc).

I think your salinity might be a bit high. I shoot to keep in the 1.023-1.025 range.

Nina51
05/10/2014, 09:35 AM
i'd hold off on adding any new fish until you get your salinity and other levels exactly where you want them. also, i'm guessing you don't have a quarantine tank? some quarantine, others do not. just something to think about.

also, what other fish do you have? it's really important to make sure whatever new fish you plan to get are compatible with what you already have.

nice looking tank, welcome to the addiction. ;)

sponger0
05/10/2014, 09:37 AM
HOB filters and canister are pointless. Your real filter is rock and sand and that should create enough filter to keep your inhabitants happy and water clean. If not, something is wrong.

Canister filters trap waste, and that waste turns into nitrates and phosphates and then turns to algae problems. Remove them is your best bet.

If you need mechanical filtration, get an HOB skimmer.

FishInABarrel
05/10/2014, 09:38 AM
It looked like you have a sixline wrasse in there. Be careful with what you put with him. Mine was dick and picked on other fish. He ended up getting banished to the mantis shrimp tank. I have read a lot about sixline a picking on or killing other fish.

I've never heard not to run a filter, but haven't been into saltwater very long. I have a sump, liverock, skimmer and macroalgae but just run the canister for water polishing. I guess it's good I'm selling my g3 then.

sponger0
05/10/2014, 09:39 AM
And yes your salinity is very high. I would suggest not getting any more fish until you have a handle on the basic water chemistry.

Also you should get a quarantine tank for any new fish. Diseases can come and alot are not treatable in your main tank.

SwampyBill
05/10/2014, 01:57 PM
+1 on not adding more fish until you get a grip on your water chemistries, investing in a QT tank for future inhabitants, & keeping a close eye on that 6-line wrasse--esp. in that size tank. Good luck & welcome to Reef Central!

Sgt Jonny Cat
05/10/2014, 02:33 PM
What about just running carbon and GFO in the canister with nothing else? Would this work for him? It may work until he gets a refugium etc....

sponger0
05/10/2014, 03:03 PM
What about just running carbon and GFO in the canister with nothing else? Would this work for him? It may work until he gets a refugium etc....

Running GFO before knowing the phosphates levels would be a no no.

Carbon isnt necessary. People use it to polish the water but it isnt needed.

Uncle Salty 05
05/12/2014, 06:08 AM
HOB filters and canister are pointless. Your real filter is rock and sand and that should create enough filter to keep your inhabitants happy and water clean. If not, something is wrong.

Canister filters trap waste, and that waste turns into nitrates and phosphates and then turns to algae problems. Remove them is your best bet.

If you need mechanical filtration, get an HOB skimmer.

Malarki!
If you don't have a sump canisters and HOB (hang on back) filters can, and will get the job done.
A HOB skimmer would be a wise addition but it is not a mechanical filter. A skimmer removes dissolved proteins (hence the name) and aerate the heck out of the water.
HOB filter and canisters do indeed trap waste - that is their job.
Yours is to keep the media in them clean. It takes a minimum of two weeks
for media of any kind to become biological. As long as your media are rinsed in RO/DI at least every week to 10 days they will produce no nitrates whatsoever.

mluntz
05/12/2014, 08:23 AM
I don't have a sump and run a canister filter with just the sponges and a bag of carbon. As long as you maintain proper husbandry and clean it with every WC, you'll be fine. When people get lazy and don't clean them for extended periods of time is when the trouble starts.

Justletters7
05/12/2014, 08:32 AM
From you pic it looks like you have an arrow crab in there also. I heard many stories of them taking fish keep a close eye on him.

Uncle Salty 05
05/12/2014, 08:47 AM
when people get lazy and don't clean them for extended periods of time is when the trouble starts.

+1

DSMpunk
05/12/2014, 01:45 PM
There is more than one way to skin a cat. This hobby is certainly no exception.

That power strip is making me nervous. Make sure to install drip loops with your electrical cables.

If you dont know what that is, just make sure that the lowest point of the cable is not where it plugs into the outlet.

Uncle Salty 05
05/12/2014, 02:39 PM
Good point DSM.
I mount my power strips to the back wall about half way up, creating a drip loop.