PDA

View Full Version : New Skimmer Question

Jmunk
05/11/2014, 12:03 AM
Just purchased an ESHOPPS 150 protein skimmer for my 90 gallon tank.

Came already pre-setup from the LFS so there was absolutely nothing for me to do, however, the bubbles coming out of the output are RIDICULOUS.

I know skimmers need time to break in, but is it normal for it to be pouring out bubbles? The LFS guy said that when a new filter sock is put in, the skimmer for some reason seems to go crazy and bubble over the collection cup. I replaced my filter sock today as well and sure enough he was right. Any solutions to that as well? Or should I just keep running it to let it break in?

tallball158
05/11/2014, 03:06 AM
The LFS was right. New socks will make them go nuts! Your skimmer will take some time to break in. I am no expert, but I usually let mine run for a week or two, and I will slowly start dialing it in. Any changes you make in the tank, can make your skimmer go nuts! Just remember to take it slow, and make very small adjustments over a few days.

Jmunk
05/11/2014, 10:13 AM
The LFS was right. New socks will make them go nuts! Your skimmer will take some time to break in. I am no expert, but I usually let mine run for a week or two, and I will slowly start dialing it in. Any changes you make in the tank, can make your skimmer go nuts! Just remember to take it slow, and make very small adjustments over a few days.
Gotcha, so those bubbles pouring out of the output are normal for a week or two, right?

Jmunk
05/11/2014, 11:25 AM
Bumpie

Sugar Magnolia
05/11/2014, 11:37 AM
Yes, that's normal. The microbubbles will subside one the inside of the skimmer gets slime coated.