View Full Version : Did I kill my mushrooms?

05/12/2014, 05:50 PM
Last friday I swapped over to a new sump but before I started circulating the new water up to the display tank I made sure to test everything between the 2 tanks. Matched the temp, salinity, PH, alk, and calcium perfectly.

Everything went fine at first, all my corals closed up for about 30 minutes when I first turned the return pump back on but then everything opened right back up. Except my green hairy mushrooms. They have not recovered and its now been 4 days. I have no idea what happened since all my other corals look amazing.

They have always looked beautiful before, even when I first got them they were opened up and looking great in less than 24 hours. This is a before shot. (there are 5 of them in a colony on this rock)


And now I'm left with this...


None of my water parameters changed, I didn't move them, the flow hasn't changed. lights haven't changed. Are they a lost cause at this point and if so, should I remove them so they don't start to rot in the tank?

Temp - 80
Salinity - 1.026
PH - 8.2
Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 0
Ca - 430
Alk - 9.5

05/14/2014, 08:10 AM
Mushies are really resilient. I wouldn't take them out. Just wait and see if they recover. How big is your tank? If your tank is fairly large then the mushrooms dying shouldn't affect water quality that much.

05/15/2014, 07:50 PM
Well sadly they did not recover, they started falling apart, not splitting... they literally just disintegrated into chunks of goo that started blowing around the tank so I took them out today. I'm completely lost as what caused them to die so suddenly. Especially since everyone says they are practically impossible to kill! :headwalls:

All my other corals, fish and inverts are 100%.

06/09/2014, 09:18 PM
Can you describe how they fell apart? Did the goo become stringy like?