PDA

View Full Version : How much dry rock and how much live rock?

Bent
05/13/2014, 06:33 AM
So...

I need to order some dry rock and a substrate.

Where are you guys typically buying this stuff from?

Do you primarily use the dry rock for aquascaping and sump the live rock? Or do you aquascape with the live stuff?

When people say 1lb per gallon, is that dry and live combo? Or is that souly live?

thegrun
05/13/2014, 07:09 AM
I would say that most of us use a combination of live and dry rock but you can use all live or all dry if you so choose. There are advantages (lots of interesting life forms that hitchhike in on the live rock) and disadvantages (some of those hitchhikers can be harmful to your tank). The live rock is usually placed in the DT. The 1-1.5 pounds per gallon is a combination of both live and dry rock.

DSMpunk
05/13/2014, 07:47 AM
Whatever you prefer honestly. I think a lot of us stuff way too much rock into our tanks. I try to scape so flow is unimpeded and looks aesthetically pleasing.

Also, keep in mind that the density of rock varies greatly. Live rock and dry rock will eventually become very similar so you can use them interchangeably for the most part.

SloppyJ
05/13/2014, 07:52 AM
BRS is a good place to buy rock. I have used all dry rock in my last two tanks.

Bent
05/13/2014, 08:26 AM
Mk.

I guess I'll start with a single box of dry rock for the main tank and start my aquascape and just sump whatever live rock I get.

leveldrummer
05/13/2014, 09:05 AM
What size tank are you stocking?

1lb per gallon is a very general rule, but it will vary greatly depending on the rock, some rock is very dense and heavy for very small peices, (tonga branch is like this) some rock is very light and porous. generally you need less of the light and porous stuff to fill the same amount of space.

Lastly, it will vary on how YOU want your rock to look, some people prefer a rock wall packed with rock and corals, some prefer very minimalistic rock, only a few small islands placed in the tank. So if you know what type of rock you want, and what you want your scape to look like, make a judgement call and order more or less accordingly.

Bent
05/13/2014, 09:15 AM
I think since my tank is only a 55g... I'm going to do something rather abnormal.

I have a plan to design a neat aquascape maybe looking at pics of an actual reef. Cement the whole thing together and slice it right down the center with a hacksaw. Then actually glue it to the rear of the tank almost like a veneer. That way I can get a fair amount of rock and still have some minimalist appearance and some swimming room for the fishes.

I'm actually thinking of doing one side of the tank mainly in the corner and tapering it off toward the other side.

leveldrummer
05/13/2014, 09:16 AM
I think since my tank is only a 55g... I'm going to do something rather abnormal.

I have a plan to design a neat aquascape maybe looking at pics of an actual reef. Cement the whole thing together and slice it right down the center with a hacksaw. Then actually glue it to the rear of the tank almost like a veneer. That way I can get a fair amount of rock and still have some minimalist appearance and some swimming room for the fishes.

I'm actually thinking of doing one side of the tank mainly in the corner and tapering it off toward the other side.

marcos rocks sells large pieces that are cut flat along one or both sides. it might be worth it to look into something like that for you.

SloppyJ
05/13/2014, 09:30 AM
Sounds like you might want to look into doing a pond foam back wall.

EasyEd77
05/13/2014, 11:11 AM
If I could start again I would do 100% dry rock.

igot2gats
05/13/2014, 02:36 PM
I'm going 100% dry with my tank.

If you want to mess around with and try out different aquascapes (without a time frame) then dry should be your choice. You don't have much time to mess around with live rock, unless you're going to try different aquascapes once it's in the water in your tank.

If you go with dry rock, just be sure to give it an acid bath before you use it.