PDA

View Full Version : Distilled water use instead of RODI

JoelA7
05/13/2014, 04:12 PM
Hello.

In a condo so no chance for a RODI. I researched the levels of all the "stuff" and local provider Belmont Springs sent me the complete report. Essentially there is nothing in it. PO4 strangely was not tested. So I did today. In the tank now, about 5 days with Aragalive sand Zero on Salifert. Real good! Not that I have an option but going forward does anyone have real info as to whether I'll need to add trace elements? My take on it is no as between water changes and food plenty gets added, but ...

Tank will be mixed reef oriented toward SPS.

Thanks!

Ricardo Fonseca
05/13/2014, 04:18 PM
Destilled water runs between copper serpentines, so copper trace should be present

S13<3
05/13/2014, 04:20 PM
ive used both ro(not rodi) and distilled water with no ill effects whatsoever, but in the long run for me, it wasnt cost effective and even tho i can hold 3 jugs in each hand it was still a pain lugging those 1gal jugs around and they take up alot of space compared to 5g buckets.

coverdog
05/13/2014, 04:21 PM
If you wanted to use a RODI it would be no problem. They can be hooked up and disconnected in a matter of minutes to yor faucet and stored in a closet or whatever until it is needed again. No need for a permanent water hookup. I couldn't stand hauling water before I got mine, not to mention the $$ saved over time.

disc1
05/13/2014, 04:57 PM
Hello.

In a condo so no chance for a RODI.

You can get a faucet adapter for a couple of bucks. I can't see any reason why you couldn't use that in a condo. Pull it out and set it on the counter and hook it to the faucet then run your water and when you're done unhook it and put it back in the closet.

You can even get the attachment where it can stay hooked to the faucet and you can still use the faucet. I had mine in the bathroom that way when I was renting. The unit sat right on the side of the counter by the wall and the little hose ran to it from the faucet. When I moved out I just took the adapter off. I don't know how a landlord would ever know it had been there.

Mark426
05/13/2014, 08:13 PM
I have run SPS stocked nano tanks for several years now and have used Wally World distilled water from the get go. Its more cost effective and convenient for me since I only use 2 gallons a week for water changes (yes, I did the math). Never a problem. Larger tank...then its a whole different story.

BTW...2 facts. First....Water distilleries don't use copper pipes anymore. Haven't in many many years. Its not cost effective for them. I verified this by visiting a water plant near me. They use and was told most use ceramic coated distillers and piping (kind of like a kitchen sink). Second..in theory, distilled water should be more pure than RO/DI. Medical/Lab water is distilled, not RO/DI. Of course, we are not buying Lab Grade water at the local market.

JoelA7
05/13/2014, 08:33 PM
Cu in not detectable in the distilled water I'm getting. And for other reasons the kitchen attachment or elsewhere would never ever work here. While I appreciate these suggestions they are off topic. So again, anyone know whether I'll need to supplement trace? Long term.

lapoolboy
05/13/2014, 09:15 PM
So again, anyone know whether I'll need to supplement trace? Long term.

What does the need to supplement trace elements have to do with using RODI vs. distilled? There are virtually no trace elements in either. The majority, if not all, of the required trace elements come from the salt mix.

mcozad829
05/14/2014, 04:55 PM
What does the need to supplement trace elements have to do with using RODI vs. distilled? There are virtually no trace elements in either. The majority, if not all, of the required trace elements come from the salt mix.

+1 your trace elements are in your salt mix, maintain a good water change schedule and you won't need any added trace elements.

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/14/2014, 05:17 PM
Back on distilled water, it may be fine, or it might not. Depends entirely on how it was actually distilled. But there's no easy way to know if it is OK or not (IMO). How did you test it for copper? I'd be surprised if you can detect low enough.

coverdog
05/14/2014, 07:01 PM
:headwalls:

JoelA7
05/14/2014, 09:05 PM
Obtained complete test results from one of the lab techs who works at the supplier. It's pristine. H2O and nothing else.

Bxer
05/14/2014, 09:36 PM
I'm setup to produce both RO/DI and distilled (two ways of getting the same result). I know my sources and can trust them. A good salt mix and either works great!

Have researched a lot of water distillers...don't recall any of them using copper in their boilers, coils or storage tanks. Good water distiller manufacturers know the issues. They would be defeating the purpose using materials that pollute. :bigeyes:

JoelA7
05/14/2014, 09:40 PM
Cool!

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/15/2014, 05:25 AM
Obtained complete test results from one of the lab techs who works at the supplier. It's pristine. H2O and nothing else.

Do you know what their detection limit is for copper? Copper in potable water is allowed to be far higher than would be acceptable for a reef. They might think that it is pristine if they see no copper, when in reality the detection limit might be only 0.1 ppm.

Have researched a lot of water distillers...don't recall any of them using copper in their boilers, coils or storage tanks. Good water distiller manufacturers know the issues. They would be defeating the purpose using materials that pollute.

They certainly used to long ago, but it is possible that they have switched to stainless steel. I'm not sure why a distilled water producer would really care about 0.1 ppm copper, however. More likely, they use stainless because it is cheaper in the long run since it doesn't corrode.

Borge
05/15/2014, 05:57 AM
We use closed glass destillers. Nothing else than glass touches the water other than the food graded plastic vat.

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/15/2014, 03:28 PM
We use closed glass destillers. Nothing else than glass touches the water other than the food graded plastic vat.

I presume that is not the same sort of distilled water you get at a grocery store for a dollar or two a gallon?

Borge
05/15/2014, 04:10 PM
I recon not, this is probably the more expensive one. 3kW of boiler and from the steam to the cooler and vat there is only glass. We always have about 200Litres destilled water for use in corrosion testing