PDA

View Full Version : All-In-One Biopellets Club

Pages : [1] 2 3

AquariumSpecialty
05/14/2014, 11:42 AM
We are starting this thread to help answer any questions that you may have about the new All-In-One Biopellets from Reef Interests. Aquarium Specialty is the exclusive US importer for all Reef Interests products and we are extremely excited to have this new product available now after 4 years of research, development and testing. Below are 2 helpful links to our website that will explain how the All-One-One Biopellets are a great solution to eliminate the need for separate Biopellet and GFO media. Feel free to post changes, observations and results in Po4 and No3 changes to your aquariums within this thread. Our 1st shipment is expected to arrive on 5/19/14.

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/blog/all-in-one-biopellets/

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/reef-interests-all-in-one-biopellets

Thank you,

larryfl1
05/18/2014, 06:47 AM
I have a 350 gallon mixed reef

How much media and which reactor is the ideal reactor for this new heavier media?.

fio1022
05/18/2014, 10:31 AM
This looks very promising.I however have a question or two.
How does the excess phosphate get exported?Normal GFO becomes saturated,no longer absorbs phosphate,at that point it is removed and replaced.
This new product looks like all media gets consumed?..
Aside from skimming,where is the export?

AquariumSpecialty
05/19/2014, 09:53 AM
How does the excess phosphate get exported?Normal GFO becomes saturated,no longer absorbs phosphate,at that point it is removed and replaced.

I'm waiting on a response from the Mfg, but they are getting ready for InterZoo so I'm not sure if they will be able to respond prior to the show. Just wanted you to know we were not ignoring your request. I still have more to learn about the new All In One biopellets and this question is a little beyond me at this point in time.

Thank you,

AquariumSpecialty
05/19/2014, 02:15 PM
We just loaded a video of Krzysztof Tryc's reef aquarium. Click on the video tab on the link below if you would like to see his SPS aquarium using All-In-One Biopellets. Enjoy...

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/reef-interests-all-in-one-biopellets

AquariumSpecialty
05/20/2014, 06:44 AM
I have a 350 gallon mixed reef

How much media and which reactor is the ideal reactor for this new heavier media?.

I have an answer for you...

Depending on the NO3 levels. If the levels of NO3 is around 25 or less about 1 1.5 liter of All-In-One media will be fine. If NO3 is greater than 25ppm, then I would push it to 2-3 liters. Hope this helps.

AquariumSpecialty
05/20/2014, 06:49 AM

The phosphate binding compound gets regenerated by the growing bacteria that consume the bound phosphates. Exporting is acheived by skimming and/or filter pads. In addition, the phosphate binding compound itself is also skimmed off.

If it's possible, position the output of the biopellet reactor close to the input of the skimmer. On a side note, I just started running All-In-One Biopellets this AM. I let them soak overnight so they wouldn't float in the reactor. For best results we recommend soaking the media for about 24hrs before you start tumbling.

Thanks,

Crimson
05/20/2014, 08:53 AM
The phosphate binding compound gets regenerated by the growing bacteria that consume the bound phosphates. Exporting is acheived by skimming and/or filter pads. In addition, the phosphate binding compound itself is also skimmed off.

If it's possible, position the output of the biopellet reactor close to the input of the skimmer. On a side note, I just started running All-In-One Biopellets this AM. I let them soak overnight so they wouldn't float in the reactor. For best results we recommend soaking the media for about 24hrs before you start tumbling.

Thanks,

Scott,

Are you using a recirculating biopellet reactor? I have been looking for one to use in my 105 gallon. I was thinking of using the all-in-one with media with it when I buy the reactor.

Thanks,

Paul

AquariumSpecialty
05/20/2014, 02:06 PM
Scott,

Are you using a recirculating biopellet reactor? I have been looking for one to use in my 105 gallon. I was thinking of using the all-in-one with media with it when I buy the reactor.

Thanks,

Paul

For now I'm just using a small JNS reactor that got damaged in shipping but it still works fine :). One I run the test on this setup then I will put it on 3-4 other aquariums and I will be using various reactors. I wouldn't get too caught up on the reactor type but I'm happy to help you select a reactor if you need some help with that. Feel free to give me a shout.

watsonj
05/21/2014, 11:10 AM
just got mine and agreed the float like crazy hopefully they will be better tomorrow. I also see two kinds of pellets one looks like GFO and the other the biopellet. The Biopellet material is very different from anything I have seen before.

Crimson
05/22/2014, 08:30 AM
just got mine and agreed the float like crazy hopefully they will be better tomorrow. I also see two kinds of pellets one looks like GFO and the other the biopellet. The Biopellet material is very different from anything I have seen before.

Can you take a video or picture of it? I assume you let it soak in ro/di for 24-48 hrs?

JWClark
05/23/2014, 01:05 PM
Thinking of trying these on my 125 build. Will be new system and I will start using from setup.

How much would you recommend using? Will be a 125 w/ 150S lifereef sump and refugium (150 gal total volume). Plan on having mixed tank w/ some SPS eventually.

Also, bioreactor will be from lifereef and will be part of the canister manifold (two additional canisters for use if needed in the future). Will probably run one canister w/ carbon at least w/ the bioreactor and the whole manifold will be powered by a mag 7 700gph pump. My question: will this provide enough flow to tumble the amount of pellets i need to use if I was using both canisters w/ the bioreactor (worst case)?

Lastly, was planning to let the effluent run though the tank once before hitting the skimmer (also lifereef) so filter feeders can feed off the bacteria. Will having the GFO material in the pellets possibly expose critters to unwanted compounds that may be sloughed off w/ the bacteria?

Thanks.

AquariumSpecialty
05/23/2014, 01:11 PM
Thinking of trying these on my 125 build. Will be new system and I will start using from setup.

How much would you recommend using? Will be a 125 w/ 150S lifereef sump and refugium (150 gal total volume). Plan on having mixed tank w/ some SPS eventually.

Also, bioreactor will be from lifereef and will be part of the canister manifold (two additional canisters for use if needed in the future). Will probably run one canister w/ carbon at least w/ the bioreactor and the whole manifold will be powered by a mag 7 700gph pump. My question: will this provide enough flow to tumble the amount of pellets i need to use if I was using both canisters w/ the bioreactor (worst case)?

Lastly, was planning to let the effluent run though the tank once before hitting the skimmer (also lifereef) so filter feeders can feed off the bacteria. Will having the GFO material in the pellets possibly expose critters to unwanted compounds that may be sloughed off w/ the bacteria?

Thanks.

I would estimate about 1 liter for your setup but that really depends more on the bio-load. The media needs about 550-750 GPH to tumble properly. The manufacturer has been testing the media for about 18 months and it's been under development for 4 years. I would have to think that they did their homework on this.

Crimson
05/23/2014, 08:23 PM
I would estimate about 1 liter for your setup but that really depends more on the bio-load. The media needs about 550-750 GPH to tumble properly. The manufacturer has been testing the media for about 18 months and it's been under development for 4 years. I would have to think that they did their homework on this.

I bolded what I assume would necessitate using a recirculating reactor. That would be a lot of effluent going into a system otherwise!

AquariumSpecialty
05/27/2014, 07:58 AM
I bolded what I assume would necessitate using a recirculating reactor. That would be a lot of effluent going into a system otherwise!

I'm using a standard small JNS reactor with the media and the sicce pump that comes with the reactor seems to be strong enough. It's tumbling nicely and it's not a recirculating reactor.

alexx2208
05/29/2014, 02:37 PM
I guess its probably too early to tell, but is this stuff actually removing phosphates? For some reason, ive always had phosphates and hate wasting money on removers. If this works, I may replace my NPX im using now.

AquariumSpecialty
05/29/2014, 02:47 PM
I guess its probably too early to tell, but is this stuff actually removing phosphates? For some reason, ive always had phosphates and hate wasting money on removers. If this works, I may replace my NPX im using now.

I'm having a hard time believing my eyes. After 1 week of use my Po4 went from 1.0+ (probably closer to 1.5) with a Salifert test kit to undetectable. Nitrate was at or close to 2ppm and I can't detect No3 with the same Salifert test kit I used the week before. Nothing else changed on the tank except we removed the old biopellets from the tank and added these...No water changes, nada.

Next week I'm checking it again and then also checking it with a Hanna Checker (Po4).

xgd
05/30/2014, 10:24 AM
Iv been running NP biopellets, have no issue with NO3 but having a algae issue , guess PO4 issue . Iv purchased All-In-One BioPellets from you guys recently and wanna try it out , how to switch NP with these ? Is it safe to just remove current stuffs n replace with the new ? For 70G how much is it recommended ?

Dapg8gt
05/30/2014, 10:37 AM
Can't that much of a drop crash your tank? I personally would treat these like all other pellets and go slow.. Going from 1.? P04 to 0 in one week usually will cause serious issues with corals.

Sounds seriously interesting though if applied correctly that these can possibly replace gfo. I would think a recirculating reactor would be absolutely necessary considering the flow needed to tumble them and the drop in nutrients that were evident after 1 week of use..

I'll be following along I have a reactor but just not sold on the switch quite yet to bp.

xgd
05/30/2014, 10:40 AM
NP biopellets was working fine , it dropped NO3 . Water got too clean sps started loosing color and I started feeding a bit more n it worked fine , but it didn't strip PO4 :/ I had a algae issue . I'm using reefoctopus reactor , keeps the pellets tumble nicely .

xgd
05/30/2014, 10:45 AM
I wasn't running GFO , did some reading and found that PO4x4 Phosphate Remover works fine with NP biopellets . I did order it before all in one came out , so planing to Switch to all in one without running PO4X4 first n see how it works .

larryfl1
06/01/2014, 06:26 AM
Any concerns with over stripping ? I have a mixed reef with heavy lps

Years ago pellets overstripped my rank. Considering trying again. Mixed reef heavy lps some Sps and medium level fish stocked

If I'm buying a new reactor for my 300 gallon which do you recommend for this media??

Greg 45
06/01/2014, 08:14 AM
Concerns of over stripping.
I was told that all pellets work at 100 % all the time they don't know on or off or bio load . This is the reason they recommend to start with a smaller amount than needed , so you don't wipe out your tank. You need to adjust them to you tank's needs. I think Scott was trying to prove a point on his tank that they are working.

AquariumSpecialty
06/02/2014, 07:10 AM
Concerns of over stripping.
I was told that all pellets work at 100 % all the time they don't know on or off or bio load . This is the reason they recommend to start with a smaller amount than needed , so you don't wipe out your tank. You need to adjust them to you tank's needs. I think Scott was trying to prove a point on his tank that they are working.

You are correct. When PO4x4 came a few years ago, I put it on my reef tank and the PO4 went from .87 to .42 in less than 8 hours. It had no negative impact on the corals (LPS, Zoa, Paly, Shrooms) and a blue squamosa clam but the RTBA went into hiding and shrunk down and turned dark in color and I know it had to be the result of bringing down the PO4 to rapidly. Eventually it came back out and colored up again. Now it's about the size of a dinner plate now and I have had it for almost 4 years.

It's best to take it slow and I would recommend feeding your corals once you get your levels down really low. Basically what you are doing is removing NO3 and PO4 and then coming back and feeding your corals specific coral foods of your choosing. Similar to the ZEOvit method...

Turb0
06/02/2014, 04:04 PM
Hi, can we mix those bio pellets with other brand (ecoback)? I want to add the all in one bp when I need tho add more pellets to my reactor.
Thanks

AquariumSpecialty
06/03/2014, 07:35 AM
Hi, can we mix those bio pellets with other brand (ecoback)? I want to add the all in one bp when I need tho add more pellets to my reactor.
Thanks

That's a question we can't answer or recommend. Personally I wouldn't use ecoback and we don't carry it but that is totally up to you if you want to give it a go. My recommendation would be to toss the EcoBack and start fresh with All-In-One. Take your time with it and slowly bring down your nitrates and phosphates (mainly your phosphate since all-in-one will reduce phosphate by 10-20 times vs. regular biopellets).

Two weeks ago I dumped out NP Biopellets and went straight to All-In-One and the results have been great so far. My recommendation would be to toss the EcoBack and start fresh with All-In-One. No measurable nitrates of phosphates with a Salifert test kit.

alexx2208
06/05/2014, 06:21 AM
Hear guys

Just wondering how much I should get for my 28g....

I would definitely recommend that aqua spec. Should put some sort of "rule" on the product of how much to use, or no one will know.

Thanks
Alex

AquariumSpecialty
06/05/2014, 06:32 AM
Hear guys

Just wondering how much I should get for my 28g....

I would definitely recommend that aqua spec. Should put some sort of "rule" on the product of how much to use, or no one will know.

Thanks
Alex

There are directions on the bag but it's best to go conservative.

watsonj
06/05/2014, 06:32 AM
I have had mine running for two weeks now, the tank had been running BRS Biopellets for seven months with GFO. nitrates we're zero and phosphates were 5 on the hanna ULR tester.
I did a complete change and removed the old Biopellets and GFO and expected a bump in nitrates and P04 as the Biopellets came on line. nitrates have jumped to 7 and P04 to 25. The Biopellets obviously have not started working yet and I have brought on a GFO reactor again as the tank was starting to suffer with algae growth ext. I have also done a series of water changes to get nitrates under control. I am using 750 ml of the pellets in a system with 200 gal of water volume.

AquariumSpecialty
06/05/2014, 06:37 AM
I have had mine running for two weeks now, the tank had been running BRS Biopellets for seven months with GFO. nitrates we're zero and phosphates were 5 on the hanna ULR tester.
I did a complete change and removed the old Biopellets and GFO and expected a bump in nitrates and P04 as the Biopellets came on line. nitrates have jumped to 7 and P04 to 25. The Biopellets obviously have not started working yet and I have brought on a GFO reactor again as the tank was starting to suffer with algae growth ext. I have also done a series of water changes to get nitrates under control. I am using 750 ml of the pellets in a system with 200 gal of water volume.

Those are extremely high numbers. Are you sure your PO4 is not .25? Is that a fish only setup? It's odd that my PO4 and NO3 went to undetectable so quickly. Wish I could explain that but I can't.

watsonj
06/05/2014, 09:18 AM
25 ppb phosphorus ULR which is 0.076 P04, its a mixed reef

AquariumSpecialty
06/05/2014, 09:26 AM
got it. dummy me...didn't think about that.

twatkins521
06/05/2014, 11:17 AM
I have had 500ml of the All in One BioPellets in my system for about two weeks now.

My system has around 350 gals of total water volume and is primarily LPS and soft corals with around 10 fish.

I used Warner EcoBak and GFO previously and was happy with the EcoBak but hated the GFO mess. My Nitrates would vary between 1 ppm and 1.5 ppm according to my Red Sea test kit and my PO4 would range between 15 to 20 ppb using my Hanna Phosphorous ULR Checker.

So I decided to give the All in One BPs a try to get away from using GFO. I do not want my Nitrates or Phosphates to go to 0. I really want my Nitrates around 1ppm and PO4 around 5ppb (about 0.015 ppm).

I moved the EcoBak to a secondary reactor I have and kept them in the system because I did not want a spike levels while the All in One pellets kicked in.

After running the All in Ones, my Nitrates have dropped to between 0.25ppm & 0.5ppm. My Phosphates are now down to 5ppb.

So it appears the All in One BioPellets really work well. I am not even using anywhere close to the reccommended amounts. I really need to add some Nitrate because it is too low for me.

My only "complaint" about them is they do not tumble very well in my system because I run the output of my BP reactor directly into the input of my recirculating skimmer which only wants about 350 gals per hr flow thru it. The EcoBak pellets tumbled much better in my setup but did not drop my Nitrates & Phosphates to low levels I see now.

revvv_pshhh
06/05/2014, 04:13 PM
anyone try 2 Little Fishies reactor with this?

Boa1277
06/13/2014, 11:01 PM
I have a total of about 170 gallons that includes sump it says we can run from 50 to 200 per 100litres of water by my calculations I have 645 litres going light using the 50 I am going to start with 300ML of all in one. Does this sound about right or should I go lighter. Right now I am running prohibio bio digest every other week and dosing vodka/vinegar/sugar as my carbon source, my plan is to taper off this and hopefully ad more all in ones as I taper? Any thoughts or suggestions on this plan of action?

watsonj
06/14/2014, 05:44 AM
I am into three weeks now and no nitrate removal is taking place and phosphates are high unless I run GFO, I am running through a BK140 reactor with a lot of flow, kinda bummed will go back to bra biopellets if I don't see results in the next two weeks.

Boa1277
06/14/2014, 04:53 PM
I am into three weeks now and no nitrate removal is taking place and phosphates are high unless I run GFO, I am running through a BK140 reactor with a lot of flow, kinda bummed will go back to bra biopellets if I don't see results in the next two weeks.

How much media are you running? Did you start light like the bag suggests or did you do your own thing?

Greg 45
06/15/2014, 07:34 AM
If you are feeding the output of reactor to your skimmer you can put a T on the suction side of he pump going to skimmer . This way it will pull in water from reactor and where it picks up the water in your sump. Hope this helps. I cannot post a picture hope you get the idea. Poss. Scott can upload a picture.

Ellery
06/15/2014, 09:36 PM
Well I just got my 1L Bag and I will give it a shot. I have ~300g system running ~2L of BRS Biopellets (125 SPS, 90 LPS, 40B Frag tanks, 10g Refugium w/ Macroalgae, and MegaFlow 4 Sump) I will replace the biopellets in my large JNS BioPellet reactor and start with 500 mL just like Twatkins521 and see if my Phosphates improve from 0.03 ppm (Hanna) to 0.015 ppm. I will also leave 1L of BRS Biopellets running the the Dual Reactor. All this in hope of not running GFO since I have the inherent Cyano on the sand from Biopellets. I have a Skimz SK201 Skimmer so that should be more than enough to handle pulling out anything that comes through.

Here we go! Time to start soaking.
Ellery

nazarma
06/15/2014, 11:53 PM
Just started using my pellets, added 200ml for 100 Gal system. I am using REEF OCTOPUS BIO-CHURN 90INT. The pellets seem to be moving very fast, not sure if this is good. Will see what happens. Nitrates are @ 0.75 and phosphates 0.08. I am testing daily to see what happens.

bawalitt
06/21/2014, 02:48 AM
I have a 125 gallon total water volume sps dominated tank. Currently dosing Red Sea no pox (1.5 ml a day). Nitrates are below 0,02 salifert. Phosphates 2 days ago were 0.031 Hanna Ultra low checker.
I started 1 litter of All-in-one pellets yesterday. Output feeds directly into the input of the skimmer pump. (lifereef skimmer).
Will keep you guys posted on the results. If it keeps my parameters were they are now, It would be the next best thing to Zeovit basic 4.

twatkins521
06/21/2014, 09:17 AM
Initially I saw great results with these All-in-One biopellets. After running them for a couple of weeks, my nitrate was low (less than 1ppm) and my phosphate was low (5 ppb on Hanna Phos ULR checker).

As time has gone by, my nitrate levels have remained in check but the Phosphate levels are now rising. Last week they read 14ppb and now this morning, they are reading 25ppb. Sort of strange that it appears as if the PO4 levels climb 9ppb each week.

The only things I have changed since my original post was I did a 35g water change (about 10% of my total system volume) and added 500ml more of the BPs to bring my total to 1L.

I am tempted to add some GFO but I want to watch it a few more days to see if the pattern continues. Man I hate to have to go back to the GFO mess!

AquariumSpecialty
06/25/2014, 07:04 AM
Initially I saw great results with these All-in-One biopellets. After running them for a couple of weeks, my nitrate was low (less than 1ppm) and my phosphate was low (5 ppb on Hanna Phos ULR checker).

As time has gone by, my nitrate levels have remained in check but the Phosphate levels are now rising. Last week they read 14ppb and now this morning, they are reading 25ppb. Sort of strange that it appears as if the PO4 levels climb 9ppb each week.

The only things I have changed since my original post was I did a 35g water change (about 10% of my total system volume) and added 500ml more of the BPs to bring my total to 1L.

I am tempted to add some GFO but I want to watch it a few more days to see if the pattern continues. Man I hate to have to go back to the GFO mess!

Here's some potential help with your particular situation. I reached out to the manufacturer about this. They have been developing the product for 4 years so I thought it would be best if they responded to this one. Here is what the had to say...

There are three things that come to my mind when I read about this:

1) If phosphate was 5 ppm before, then there will be a lot of phosphate stored in the rock and gravel and this will be slowly released once phosphates are removed from the water.

2) If there is a imbalance between phosphates and nitrates in your tank and nitrates are close to zero, then the nitrate will be the limiting factor for bacterial growth. If the bacteria on the pellets are growing slower, then it will also consume less phosphates thus there will be less bio-regeneration of the phosphate binding component in the new all-in-one biopellets.

3) When water flow is too low, then anoxic pockets will occur and you will get nitrate export through denitrification (N2 gas) instead of immobilization. This process will become more important over time when biomass is increasing and oxygen consumption increases in parallel. This will shift the nitrate/phosphate consumption ratio more towards nitrate removal instead of phosphate removal. So my advice would be to increase water flow and oxygen levels within the reactor (so no recycling of low oxygen containing water) and perhaps increase the amount of biopellets. If this does not help then it might be wise to do a one-time phosphate removal with GFO to get the balance between nitrates and phosphate in check again. But first start with increasing the flow through of oxygen rich water.

Hope this helps.

greenfish
06/25/2014, 10:40 AM
I am always a fan of new things for my aquarium. Especially ones that have the potential to save time and money. I currently run biopellets and GFO. The biopellets last a whole lot longer than GFO does. Having to purchase new GFO frequently definitely lowers the wife acceptance factor due to the high cost. This product seems to have the potential to save money which will increase the wife acceptance factor. I have purchased some All-in-one to try on my tank. The wife and I are looking forward to the results on our tank.

AquariumSpecialty
06/25/2014, 10:44 AM
I am always a fan of new things for my aquarium. Especially ones that have the potential to save time and money. I currently run biopellets and GFO. The biopellets last a whole lot longer than GFO does. Having to purchase new GFO frequently definitely lowers the wife acceptance factor due to the high cost. This product seems to have the potential to save money which will increase the wife acceptance factor. I have purchased some All-in-one to try on my tank. The wife and I are looking forward to the results on our tank.

If mamma is not happy then ...

hostage46
06/25/2014, 08:47 PM
Guys I'm watching this with interest. I was about to start dosing vodka on my My 70 gallon system. I happen to have a duel GFO/Carbon reactor, as well as a single carbon reacor.

I'm running ROX 0.8 carbon now. I've stopped GFO, it just goes too fast, I and was ready to dose Vodka but this comes to mind as an option.

Is Carbon necessary when running biopellets? Would the BRS reacors suffice for this application?

Dan in Dallas...

AquariumSpecialty
06/26/2014, 09:33 AM
Guys I'm watching this with interest. I was about to start dosing vodka on my My 70 gallon system. I happen to have a duel GFO/Carbon reactor, as well as a single carbon reacor.

I'm running ROX 0.8 carbon now. I've stopped GFO, it just goes too fast, I and was ready to dose Vodka but this comes to mind as an option.

Is Carbon necessary when running biopellets? Would the BRS reacors suffice for this application?

Dan in Dallas...

I'm not sure Dan. We sell a similar dual reactor and I like it better because you can independently adjust the flow rate to each reactor. I'm using a JNS reactor on one of my office tanks and we have customers using the Triton reactors with good success using all-in-one biopellets. I haven't tried it with the reactor you are suggestion but it's not really a choice I would consider on any of my tanks.

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/spectrapure-gfo-carbon-reactor-dual

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/reactors/media-reactors/triton-aquatics

hostage46
06/26/2014, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the feeback Scott. Woud you guys agree that it makes sense to continue to run carbon in addition to Biopellets?

bawalitt
06/26/2014, 06:58 PM
I was reading the description of this product. The manufacturer states

“On Note, this particular tank contains approximately 50 fish and after 10 months of testing both nitrates and phosphates were undetectable with standard nitrate and phosphate kits.“

For Nitrate the standard test kits like Salifert is pretty good but for phosphates there is no standard test kit which will detect it accurately at such low levels. Hanna is one of the Ultra low checkers which is used by the most hobbyists to accurately detect phosphates. I can have phosphates in the high range (above 0.003) and it will show as zero in standard test kits.

The manufacturer states that the nitrates and phosphates were kept undetectable with STANDARD TEST KITS.

I want to know which test kits are they referring too.

As most of us hobbyists do not trust standard test kits for phosphates.

bawalitt
07/02/2014, 03:20 AM
Its been almost a week and I have not heard anything about my post #49.

But here is an update.
When i started by Po4 was hovering around 0.03. Tested it yesterday and it was 0.021. So don't know if its the bio pellets or just the time of the day I tested.
(i am still dosing 1.5 ml of no pox in a 120 gallon system, wayyyy less than the manufacturers recommendations). would be weening it off slowly when i hit the 3 week mark with the bio pellets.

Another thing, I use an external Lifereef 30" skimmer, which is powered by a 1580 gallon/hr pump. I have plumbed the output of my biopellet reactor straight into the skimmers pump. Yesterday i emptied my skimmer cup and there was a ton of GFO type granules at the bottom of the cup.

So just a warning guys, make sure the exit of your reactor goes straight to your skimmer, and make sure the skimmer is powerful enough to suck all that water in, as that GFO will end up some where in the tank, if not captured in the sump.

Cheers and will wait for the answer to post #49 from the sponsor.

watsonj
07/02/2014, 04:29 AM
I am on the brink of having to do something, algae growth and Cyano is bad something I have never had to deal with before is becoming a real issue. As another poster mentioned there is a lot of GDO material in the skimmer each day , I think you do need a good skimmer or you might have other issues down the line. Nitrates are close to 10 even with a 25% WC each week.

hostage46
07/02/2014, 11:46 AM
So i had a few email exchanges with the manufacurer, I didn't get much more than what came on the bag. He did confirm GFO is mixed in the pellet. Which is interesting, but nothing magical. I'll give it a go and see how it works out.

I have a batch of pellets, about 100ML soaking and will fire up the reactor later this afternoon. My plan is to add additional material over time. I don't expect any results for a few months. As is stands now, My NO3 is fine, I just want to keep it there. i'm running a dual reactor, replaceing the GFO with the All in One pellets, I'll continue to run carbon in the other cannister. If needed, I have another single chamber reactor to run GFO. The reason I'm trying this All in One pellet is to get a way from the GFO.

With regard to the suggested direct plumbing to the skimmer, I really don't agree with approach, here is why. I'm running a Vertex 130 skimmer in my 70 gallon system. It has PLENTY of capacity. If I were to attemp to plumb the reactor output to the skimmer intake, I'll lose fine control of water and air, thus hindering my high performance skimmer. If you are finding particate matter is leaving your reactor, you might try adding some foam to catch any foxem and jetsom in the reactor.

This skimmer was purchased with the idea of removing bacteria due to vodka dosing. In this case I've made a last minute turn to the All in One pellet instead of vodka as many have made the move from vodka to biopellets. Either way, I have the appropriate skimmer to remove bacteria from the entire water column. I can't see how the output of the reactor will matter, as long as you have the needed skimming capacity.

Stay tuned...

Dan in Dallas

AquariumSpecialty
07/02/2014, 11:49 AM
With regard to the suggested direct plumbing to the skimmer, I really don't agree with approach, here is why. I'm running a Vertex 130 skimmer in my 70 gallon system. It has PLENTY of capacity. If I were to attemp to plumb the reactor output to the skimmer intake, I'll lose fine control of water and air, thus hindering my high performance skimmer. If you are finding particate matter is leaving your reactor, you might try adding some foam to catch any foxem and jetsom in the reactor.

This skimmer was purchased with the idea of skimming to remove vodka dosing, I'm removing bacteria from the entire water column, with enough skimming capacity, the output of the skimmer, as in, where in relation to the skimmer intake, should be moot.

I agree. There is no reason to plumb the reactor to the skimmer directly. That's not a good idea for several reasons...

Joe_Blog
07/02/2014, 02:15 PM
I agree. There is no reason to plumb the reactor to the skimmer directly. That's not a good idea for several reasons...

Can you please elaborate on what those several reasons are? Given that the flow out of the reactor is lower than the intake flow of the skimmer and the hard plumbing of the reactor into the skimmer is via a T (i.e., no restrictions to the intake flow to the skimmer), I dont see how this impedes the ability to fine tune the skimmer. Im setting mine up shortly and had planned on hard plumbing the reactor output to the skimmer via a T as described. So, I certainly didn't want to have to change it later if there are negative impacts of this.

Thanks in advance for the help. Cheers.

AdrianPotocki
07/03/2014, 09:49 AM
Hello All.
Someone have expirience with Chemiclean and All-In-One Biopellets ??
I need turn off my reactor when i use chemiclean ?
Best Regards Adrian

bawalitt
07/03/2014, 03:18 PM
Can you please elaborate on what those several reasons are? Given that the flow out of the reactor is lower than the intake flow of the skimmer and the hard plumbing of the reactor into the skimmer is via a T (i.e., no restrictions to the intake flow to the skimmer), I dont see how this impedes the ability to fine tune the skimmer. Im setting mine up shortly and had planned on hard plumbing the reactor output to the skimmer via a T as described. So, I certainly didn't want to have to change it later if there are negative impacts of this.

You are absolutely right, I have mine hooked up to a "T" and this way it sucks the sump water as well as the flow out of the reactor.

It should not be a problem.

For the sponsor, I am still waiting for my response re. the STANDARD TEST KITS.

I want to make sure that the manufacturer is not cleverly misleading the community.

hostage46
07/03/2014, 08:57 PM

Why bother with this added complication? The premise is that you are adding bacteria to, and removing it via skimming from the water column. As long as the skimmer is in the water column, and has enough capacity, you're good to go. What benefit is there to plumbing the reactor output to the skimmer? Are you worried that you won't skim out the bacteria?

Optimimal skimming requires fine tuning, plumbing to the skimmer will disrupt the flow going into the skimmer. Can you make it work? I suppose, but again why?

unze
07/04/2014, 03:03 PM
So whats the verdict on the all in one bio pellets? do they work or no better than standard pellets

bawalitt
07/06/2014, 10:12 AM
So whats the verdict on the all in one bio pellets? do they work or no better than standard pellets

well i stopped dosing my no-pox a week ago. At that time pellets had been running for 2+ weeks. At that time phosphates were 0.021 and nitrates were undetectable.

As of today my phosphates have risen to 0.05.

Nothing has changed in my husbandry. I will text in 3-4 days and post my results.

hostage46
07/06/2014, 01:51 PM
I'm thinking this is a time investment... that is like 8 weeks.

bawalitt
07/06/2014, 02:29 PM
I'm thinking this is a time investment... that is like 8 weeks.

The manufacturer says 1-4 weeks.
I am past the 3 weeks mark and my ULNS is not a ULNS any more thanks to the all-in-one bio pellets. I will give it another 2 weeks of solid patience.

bawalitt
07/06/2014, 02:31 PM
I am still patientely waiting for the answer to my Post # 49

AquariumSpecialty seems to be in direct contact with the company, so they can provide a more concrete answer.

AquariumSpecialty
07/07/2014, 08:32 AM
I was reading the description of this product. The manufacturer states

On Note, this particular tank contains approximately 50 fish and after 10 months of testing both nitrates and phosphates were undetectable with standard nitrate and phosphate kits.

For Nitrate the standard test kits like Salifert is pretty good but for phosphates there is no standard test kit which will detect it accurately at such low levels. Hanna is one of the Ultra low checkers which is used by the most hobbyists to accurately detect phosphates. I can have phosphates in the high range (above 0.003) and it will show as zero in standard test kits.

The manufacturer states that the nitrates and phosphates were kept undetectable with STANDARD TEST KITS.

I want to know which test kits are they referring too.

As most of us hobbyists do not trust standard test kits for phosphates.

I believe they were using Salifert test kits for both PO4 and Nitrate. I'm going to run a test today and see where my PO4 and NO3 are. Haven't done a test in a few weeks and I haven't done a water change in several weeks either. This time I'm going with a Hanna Checker on the PO4.

greenfish
07/07/2014, 10:29 AM
I have received my all-in-one before the holiday weekend. I soaked them and now have them installed on the system for the last 3 days. I also will be checking my system with a ultra low phosphate Hanna checker. As I am currently in the process of ridding my tank of an algae issue, it will be interesting to see how the new pellets affect the process I have already made, and if they can help me reach and maintain a system with low phosphate and nitrates.

hostage46
07/07/2014, 10:32 AM
From what I've read about Biopellets in general, this is a long haul. I have noticed a bit of algae bloom recently. My focus is on ensuring my skimmer is working properly. I also noticed my pellets are barely tumbling in the reactor, I plan to add a larger pump.

greenfish
07/07/2014, 11:06 AM
I had been running biopellets for over a year on my tank. In a custom diy reactor I built based on the design by Reef Dynamics. I have an algae issue because I really neglected my tank for a.... few months (9ish) while I was in school, I lost a few fish and corals so now....well algae loves my tank now. At least it did as it is much much better now. But now since my algae issue and the loss of most of my corals over the course of the last 9ish months I am resetting everything and want to do sps corals.
I "seeded" the all-in-one with the water and pellets from my reactor as I soaked them. The all in one being much larger than the biopellets I was able to strain out the all in one and now just have that in my reactor. I am hoping that will help speed up the process of getting the all in one active. I have them tumbling in my reactor at about the same rate as my biopellets and have the exit of my reactor plumbed directly into my skimmer. My skimmer is also custom recirculating skimmer and I use a T on the input of my skimmer so when the reactor is dialed back the skimmer can still get water from my sump.
My hope is that the all in one will provide a cheaper solution to the biopellets and gfo i was using before. I want a product that will last the same as the biopellets and reduce cost on my system. Having to replace gfo monthly adds up....adding new all in one every few months as its used by the system will save on cost in the long run and free up space under my system. At least that is the hope....

s2nhle
07/08/2014, 09:41 AM
Very interesting. How is the all in one pellet doing so far?

greenfish
07/08/2014, 10:23 AM
Its to early to tell but so far I like not having to run 2 reactors. Initial measurement of phosphate in the system is .267 ppm using Hanna ULR checker. My goal is to get to .005 ppm which I have read is the phosphate value in the ocean. It is probably a wish to get levels matching the ocean but its fun to try. I will be happy with .03 ppm or less.

hostage46
07/08/2014, 05:56 PM
Same here, I'm one week in. Adding a proper bio-pellet reacor, the classic down draft units won't work, need more tumbling action.

That said, I am still seeing the impact of the pellets, that is algae at this point

bawalitt
07/08/2014, 07:41 PM
I believe they were using Salifert test kits for both PO4 and Nitrate. I'm going to run a test today and see where my PO4 and NO3 are. Haven't done a test in a few weeks and I haven't done a water change in several weeks either. This time I'm going with a Hanna Checker on the PO4.

Thanks
Can you please confirm this with them as well. As if they were only using Salifert for phosphates, then we all know that phosphates are not zero by any measure.

Nitrates i can see being undetectable with pellets. But if they are using Salifert for phosphates then they are far from undetectable.

Did a test again today with a Hanna Ultra Low checker, and phosphates are still at 0.051.
Before i started these pellets they were 0.021
I can see some Gree hair algae starting up on same patches as well.

greenfish
07/09/2014, 09:48 AM
That doesn't sound good...I'm hoping they used more than 1 test kit. Or if it was 1 test kit something a bit more reliable...I would hate to find out I wasted money and time on a product that was not properly tested before it was released. But I am happy to be testing for other reefers so that they may avoid the mistake as well....or it may all turn out extremely positive :) time will tell.

I do think that my "seeding" did speed up the process a little bit...but who knows its still to early.

AquariumSpecialty
07/09/2014, 11:25 AM
That doesn't sound good...I'm hoping they used more than 1 test kit. Or if it was 1 test kit something a bit more reliable...I would hate to find out I wasted money and time on a product that was not properly tested before it was released. But I am happy to be testing for other reefers so that they may avoid the mistake as well....or it may all turn out extremely positive :) time will tell.

I do think that my "seeding" did speed up the process a little bit...but who knows its still to early.

According to DVH the product was in development for 4 years and it was tested for 1 1/2 years before it was introduced to the market. Please read the thread...

greenfish
07/09/2014, 11:57 AM
I have read the thread.

The concern lies in the type of testing that was performed and the apparent use of only 1 test kit to test with. As of yet (that i am aware of) no response has been posted to post 49 except for one that stated 1 test kit was used. A test kit that is known to be not as accurate as other testing measures available. A concern that if only 1 test kit was used to test this product, a test kit that is not as accurate as others available, that the results and findings of said product may be misleading. Undetectable readings on one test kit is far from being conclusive when other test kits have better resolution.

As I have also stated it is to early to tell results in my system but I am continuing testing. And as I also stated the concern may be for nothing, the product may be awesome. Time will tell.

As a side note, my readings on phosphate today is at .451 PPM on my Hanna ULR checker. Almost double what it was yesterday. I do understand the readings will rise as the media breaks in and develops the bacteria needed to work, so again time will tell.

Boa1277
07/09/2014, 05:57 PM
Hopefully this product will work like the manufacturer stated, however I do have one question....are there any Bio Pellets on the market today that remove Phosphate at a decent level? I understand they are very good at controlling nitrate but from what I have read most people running Bio Pellets usually run some sort of reactor with a Phosphate binding media in it like Rowaphos or GFO. I also purchased these because I also was sick of dosing Vodka and running Rowa, so I am really hoping these work as stated!!

Dapg8gt
07/09/2014, 06:23 PM
So if these are just infused with gfo what happens when that's exhausted?

Is the formulation of bio plastics in these pellets supposed to be superior to normal ones at consuming p04?

bawalitt
07/11/2014, 03:03 AM
Hopefully this product will work like the manufacturer stated, however I do have one question....are there any Bio Pellets on the market today that remove Phosphate at a decent level? I understand they are very good at controlling nitrate but from what I have read most people running Bio Pellets usually run some sort of reactor with a Phosphate binding media in it like Rowaphos or GFO. I also purchased these because I also was sick of dosing Vodka and running Rowa, so I am really hoping these work as stated!!

Well Boa1277

All carbon dosing works on one universal principal. the Renfield Radio.

106:16:1

Carbon : Nitrogen : Phosphate

This is mother nature and we cannot change it. What this company appears to have done is that they added GFO to the pellets. So as the pellets dissolve more GFO will be exposed and it will consume more phosphates.

What the company stated about the bacteria utilizing the phosphates stored in the GFO for growth is garbage. They are working on the premise that most systems where carbon is dosed are phosphate limited. Where as the opposite is actually true.

As the bacteria consumes nitrates 16 times faster than phosphates almost every system gets nitrogen limited.

There is always enough phosphates available in the water for the bacteria to grow, hence the statement that the bacteria will use the phosphates which have been bound in the gfo seems to be very misleading. The company is trying to sound like they had a break through in bio pellets, but it appears that they are just bio pellets infused with GFO.

We have all run GFO at one point or another and we all know what a mess it creates. If we run our bio pellets reactors at the 2000 litters -3000 litters per hour rate, we would need a damm big skimmer to make sure that all that GFO does not make its way into the display tank, as believe me, it will.

I am not bad mouthing the company or the product, but the way the company wrote its description raises an alarm. Standard test kits do not read phosphates accurately. My salifert always read zero, till i got hanna ULR and found out that phosphates were above 0.1 and thats far from undetectable.

twatkins521
07/11/2014, 04:17 PM
Well I thought I would post an update on my results.

i posted some measurements around June 21. I let the BPS run another week or so and retested. Then, my Nitrate was reading 0.5 ppm on my Red Sae Test kit. My PO4 continued to rise. It measured 28 ppb on my Hanna Phos ULR checker which equates to 0.086 ppm. That's too much for me.

I decided to add a few cubes of the Brightwell's XPort PO4 to the system and let it run a few more weeks.

This evening, my measurements are as follows:
Nitrate 0.25 ppm
PO4 9 ppb or 0.027 ppm

So I have determined in my system, the all-in-ones do indeed work very well for Nitrate control. PO4 control is so-so at best. I'll continue to run some sort of GFO media like the XPort PO4. I should note that while I will continue the GFO useage, the amount I need seems to be less than before I used the All-in-One BPs.

dillct
07/11/2014, 05:47 PM
Really sucks there are so many people throwing in the towel after only a few weeks usage of this product. I can't take their reviews of this product seriously given the short time these pellets have been on the market. Going slow and having patience is key with anything new. Would rather hear from folks who have been using these for the long term.

twatkins521
07/12/2014, 07:56 AM
Really sucks there are so many people throwing in the towel after only a few weeks usage of this product. I can't take their reviews of this product seriously given the short time these pellets have been on the market. Going slow and having patience is key with anything new. Would rather hear from folks who have been using these for the long term.

To each his own.

You are right that going slow and having patience is key with anything new.

You did hear from someone that has been using them long term, me. I ordered and started using them the first week they were available. You can't do much better than that.

So nearly nearly 8 weeks in, all I said was they worked for Nitrate removal really well but I thought the PO4 removal was slightly better than the BPs I was using before but they were not as effective as GFO.

Maybe they will work better over time but that's the reveiw of the product from virtually day one of its arrival to now.

dillct
07/12/2014, 08:43 AM
To each his own.

You are right that going slow and having patience is key with anything new.

You did hear from someone that has been using them long term, me. I ordered and started using them the first week they were available. You can't do much better than that.

So nearly nearly 8 weeks in, all I said was they worked for Nitrate removal really well but I thought the PO4 removal was slightly better than the BPs I was using before but they were not as effective as GFO.

Maybe they will work better over time but that's the reveiw of the product from virtually day one of its arrival to now.

8 weeks isn't long term by any shot. You noticed a decline in nitrates. With additional feeding your phosphates will decline as well. You threw phosphate remover into the mix at a point in time when the pellets were actually primed to start working at removing the phosphate for you. This is why many people recommend additional feeding, aminos or nitrate addition with pellets. Eventually the nitrate/phosphate imbalance works itself out.

bawalitt
07/12/2014, 10:12 AM

my friend , the company says 1-3 weeks. twatkins521 has used them for over 8 weeks, thats twice the recommended time.
Either the company is misstating the facts or the product does not work as advertised.

twatkins521
07/12/2014, 11:17 AM
8 weeks isn't long term by any shot. You noticed a decline in nitrates. With additional feeding your phosphates will decline as well. You threw phosphate remover into the mix at a point in time when the pellets were actually primed to start working at removing the phosphate for you. This is why many people recommend additional feeding, aminos or nitrate addition with pellets. Eventually the nitrate/phosphate imbalance works itself out.

8 weeks is long term for a product that's been available for 8 weeks.

I threw Phosphate remover into the mix when PO4 continued to rise week after week to the point I was getting hair algae growth. Please read all of what I said. I said I initially saw a reduction of PO4 a few weeks into use. THEN they started to rise week after week for over a month.

In a 350+ gallon system like mine, that has never had hair algae, I am not waiting any longer for anything to kick in. Once hair algae takes hold in a system as large as mine, then I have a REAL problem. If I had a small nano or reef tank, then who cares, I could restart with very little effort. The instructions say 3 to 4 weeks. I gave it nearly 8 weeks.

I know you have to feed more. I did. I am not a newbie here. I started my first system in the late 80s and have been successful ever since. I also dose nitrate and amino acids daily via my dosing system. I was doing that long before this product came to the US market.

I hope you have better success than I have but, once again, I said nothing negative about the product. I gave a honest review of my experience.

bawalitt
07/12/2014, 09:29 PM
8 weeks is long term for a product that's been available for 8 weeks.

I threw Phosphate remover into the mix when PO4 continued to rise week after week to the point I was getting hair algae growth. Please read all of what I said. I said I initially saw a reduction of PO4 a few weeks into use. THEN they started to rise week after week for over a month.

In a 350+ gallon system like mine, that has never had hair algae, I am not waiting any longer for anything to kick in. Once hair algae takes hold in a system as large as mine, then I have a REAL problem. If I had a small nano or reef tank, then who cares, I could restart with very little effort. The instructions say 3 to 4 weeks. I gave it nearly 8 weeks.

I know you have to feed more. I did. I am not a newbie here. I started my first system in the late 80s and have been successful ever since. I also dose nitrate and amino acids daily via my dosing system. I was doing that long before this product came to the US market.

I hope you have better success than I have but, once again, I said nothing negative about the product. I gave a honest review of my experience.

I agree with you my friend. I also run a carbon dosed system and also used to dose nitrate (Seachem flourish) to keep nitrates above detectable so that the system does not get nitrogen limited.

Ellery
07/14/2014, 07:54 PM
Running for 1 month so far with only 500ml of AIO. Noticed PO4 is rising back up from 0.00 ppm on 7/8. Needed to turn GFO/GAC reactor back on to see if I can get PO4 back to less than 0.03ppm
Having similar scenario to twatkins521 it seems. Received a note from someone that resolved all their Biopellet cyano issues by running Ozone into their skimmer. May need to investigate that after this test. Adding Nualgi and Microbacter 7 dosing hasn't helped compete with Cyano thus far.

History: Been running ~2L of BRS Biopellets since 11/2011 but have been battling Cyano on and off. Was hoping not to need GFO and GAC running continuously.

Start Date: 6/16/14
System Volume: 300 gallons if SPS and LPS (125+90+40+10gal Refugium+MegaFlow4 Sump)
AIO: 500 mL in a JNS2 Reactor w/ output near Skimz SK201 Skimmer input
Elapse time: ~1 month

Starting Parameters:
Alk = 152 ppm
Ca = 600 ppm
Mg = 1320 ppm
PO4 = 0.03 ppm

Log:
6/16/14 - Started with 500 ml of AIO and keeping my BRS Reactor full of 1L to prevent a drastic change.
6/21/14 - Added 1 cup GFP/GAC into mesh bag and placed in sump due to increased Cyano noticed.
6/24/14 - Added Turboflotor 1000 Multi-Skimmer back on system
6/29/14 - Chalices /Acans not looking good
6/30/14 - Removed remainder of BRS biopellets from Dual BRS Reactor and replaced with additional GFO in Chamber 1 and filled Chaber 2 with GFO/GAC from mesh sock in sump.
7/7/14 - Observed RTN on M.Spongodes - Shut-Off BRS dual Reactor, Performed 2 water change cycles.
7/8/14 - Parameter Check: Alk=152,Ca=600, Mg=1560, PO4=0.00 <--Overstripped
7/11/14 - M.Spongodes looks better!
7/14/14 - Parameter Check: Alk=217, Ca=571, Mg=1500, PO4 = 0.07 <-Turn on GFO/GAC reactor and run for 1 day only to avoid RTN.

Dapg8gt
07/14/2014, 08:21 PM
If these pellets are absorbing liquid the gfo has to be getting saturated.. I so want these to work so I can take the gfo reactor off and not have to dose vinegar but it doesn't look like the case yet..

I'm Def not the type to be a guinea pig so I'm waiting on some long term tests. But in my opinion I don't want levels undetectable so if it keeps it at less than 5 on no3 and less then .10 of p04 I'm game.. I personally run my tank higher so that's not an issue with me but if it's just going to strip it and continue to climb due to saturation I'll stick to what I have going that I can control.

unze
07/15/2014, 02:08 AM
Ca = 600 ppm
Thats is far to high

Ellery
07/15/2014, 05:02 PM
Thats is far to high

Yup I know and I'm not even dosing any Ca just Kalk in my ATO.

I may try to add some Alk to bring it down or just do a water change.

AquariumSpecialty
07/16/2014, 08:59 AM
Since there seems to be some unanswered questions about the product I have reached out to DVH for a little more clarification on how the product works. Here is what Dennis at DVH had to say...

"The GFO in the pellets is binding PO4 to the pellet so it is removing more PO4 than the standard pellets. The bacteria is utilizing the PO4 for growth and removing NO3. By taking off the PO4, you can replace the PO4 with new PO4 from the system. Next to that, when they eat the carbon, new surface will be exposed so new PO4 can be bond again."

"Indeed there is a relationship between NO3 and PO4. And there are also extremes where more PO4 is introduced than the bacteria can remove. In most cases, once the NO3 is under control, the PO4 will also be under control. In our testing tank we use a overkill of the All-in-One Pellets, but no PO4 is measured at all with the standard hobby tests. Of course this is another extreme."

greenfish
07/16/2014, 11:23 AM
Update. I now have outbreak of red cyanobacteria algae in my tank. I have not had this type of algae in my tank for many years. Probably not since I started my aquarium...

Nitrite before all in one was reading at .05, currently at .12 an increase :(
Nitrate before was reading 5 now it is at 1.5 which is a great improvement.
PO4 since my last update at .45 is down to .43 I was expecting a bit more drop

I have added more all in one to the reactor so we will see what happens going forward. Major concern as to the cause of the algae outbreak I am now seeing. I still have the output of my reactor plumbed directly into my skimmer. I have noticed a slight increase of skim mate produced and it also appears to have what looks like gfo in it??

Ellery
07/16/2014, 07:45 PM
As for the cyano - another hobbyist sent me a note that he got rid of all his cyano by running Ozone in his skimmer while running biopellets. He pointed to look in the www.wetwebmedia.com for more info on this and so I shall. I've had great responses running regular BP for at least 2 years until the recent existence of Cyano. That's all I need to remove and my parameters would be good.

saltyair
07/20/2014, 09:35 AM
Well I have jumped on the all in one bio pellet wagon. I have been dosing vinegar for about 9 months and running carbon and gfo. I have an in-250 skimmer.
my no3 runs about 20 average and my po4 fluctuate s .01 - .03 ( thinking a rock or 2)

I am running a 850gph into a fluidized bio reactor
1000ml start
looking forward to results , will decrease vinegar dosing over 2 weem period

watsonj
07/20/2014, 07:30 PM
I am now at 8 weeks and still no nitrate reduction, I currently run a BR140 and want to try a different reactor what would you recumbent the royal exclusive 5L biopellet or?

bmooney31
07/20/2014, 10:05 PM
Guys I have a questions about the initial soak of the all in one pellets. I travel during the week for work, and I put my new AIO pellets in a bucket of RO to soak, what I thought was going to be 48 hours. well with my schedule and being out of town I haven't had the time to plumb the new reactor and move my existing biopellets in their reactor to the skimmer chamber of my sump. My question is I've had the new pellets soaking for a week now, and looks like I won't be able to get them in a reactor for another 5 days because of work. Will soaking these pellets for that long cause any adverse effect to them? I'm just worried that they won't work properly. Please let me know if you think it's going to be a problem that these pellets will have soaked for almost two weeks before i can actually get them online in my system.

Joe_Blog
07/20/2014, 10:12 PM
Guys I have a questions about the initial soak of the all in one pellets. I travel during the week for work, and I put my new AIO pellets in a bucket of RO to soak, what I thought was going to be 48 hours. well with my schedule and being out of town I haven't had the time to plumb the new reactor and move my existing biopellets in their reactor to the skimmer chamber of my sump. My question is I've had the new pellets soaking for a week now, and looks like I won't be able to get them in a reactor for another 5 days because of work. Will soaking these pellets for that long cause any adverse effect to them? I'm just worried that they won't work properly. Please let me know if you think it's going to be a problem that these pellets will have soaked for almost two weeks before i can actually get them online in my system.

For the same reasons as you, I ended up soaking my pellets for just over a week. In all appearances, there was no adverse affect. With that said, it has been almost two months and still no reduction in nitrate. :strange:

watsonj
07/21/2014, 10:25 AM
Has anyone really seen these pellets work yet a few of us are at 8 weeks with no great results for nitrate removal ?

watsonj
07/21/2014, 11:00 AM
I just reread the product page and realize I am way short of the amount of pellets I need!

" The bioload on a 700 liter aquarium (185 gallons) contains approximately 50 fish and after 10 months of testing both nitrates and phosphates were undetectable with standard nitrate and phosphate aquarium test kits with the use of 2 liters of media."

I am only running 1 L of pellets on 200 gal system. I am struggling to find a reactor that can tumble 2L of these pellets aggressively . It also means I need to run a $150 of pellets!

AquariumSpecialty
07/21/2014, 11:57 AM
I just reread the product page and realize I am way short of the amount of pellets I need!

" The bioload on a 700 liter aquarium (185 gallons) contains approximately 50 fish and after 10 months of testing both nitrates and phosphates were undetectable with standard nitrate and phosphate aquarium test kits with the use of 2 liters of media."

I am only running 1 L of pellets on 200 gal system. I am struggling to find a reactor that can tumble 2L of these pellets aggressively . It also means I need to run a $150 of pellets!

Do you have 50+ fish in your 200 gallon? You have to consider the bio-load, not just the tank size. Every setup is different.

Thanks,

watsonj
07/21/2014, 12:06 PM
I do not have 50 fish but have not seen any results with 1L to date. what biopellet react are you recommending to run these pellets?

AquariumSpecialty
07/21/2014, 12:14 PM
I do not have 50 fish but have not seen any results with 1L to date. what biopellet react are you recommending to run these pellets?

What are you PO4 and NO3 levels? I'm trying to get the manufacturer on our club thread so they can chime in. Please be patient because they thought they were blocked from Reef Central but they are not. They are in a different time zone so it might be tomorrow before I know something.

Thanks,

watsonj
07/21/2014, 12:18 PM
Nitrates are @ 8 and PO4 is low as I an running GFO in tandem as PO4 was getting out of hand and really hurting the tank. Thanks for trying to get the MFG on this thread.

greenfish
07/22/2014, 12:09 PM
Update:

Ok as of my last update here are my current test results:

Nitrite was .12 last week, this week has increased to .5
Nitrate was 1.5 last week, this week has decreased to 1
PO4 was .43 last week, this week has decreased to .40

For nitrates seems to be working great, nitrites I'm not sure. However for PO4, I'm sorry to say but the product sucks. If this offends the manufacture or whoever then I'm sorry but I give my honest opinion in hopes of saving other reefers the problems with buying products that don't do what they say they will do. I believe this product (so far) has not lived up to its claims.

The purpose of this was to be able to control nitrates and PO4 in one product, hence the name. The manufacture stated it should only take 3-4 weeks to work and so far, for PO4 it has only greatly increased the amount in my system and caused a red algae. Which to solve requires the purchase of more equipment to inject ozone into the skimmer (or so I have read). This is would be acceptable if the PO4 levels were as low or lower than they were before I started testing. Since they are significantly higher I cannot warrant the cost of more equipment when switching back to what I was doing before would in theory solve the algae problem. When running biopellets and GFO I was able to keep PO4 at much much lower levels and I had no red algae to deal with. I tested this product in hopes of saving money on running 2 reactors and having to constantly buy GFO which was used more frequently by my system than the pellets, and I'm sorry to say that so far it seems to be a waste of time and money.

I will keep the pellets on the system for another week. After that if the red algae does not go away and I see significant decrease in PO4 (back to the levels before I started testing this product) I will have no choice but to change back to what I was doing before which was having a much better result than these AIO pellets. Although it was more expensive to run both biopellets and GFO the results of much much lower PO4 and better health for my corals is worth the extra cost at this point. I hope others have better results with this product than I did but from what I am reading from others it seems that the PO4 side of these pellets is not living up to expectations.

AquariumSpecialty
07/22/2014, 02:53 PM
We are trying to get JP on the forum but this will have to do for now. For those of you who can read dutch...read below. For those that don't then here's the English translation:

One on one translation;

It would be nice to know how much pellets he is using, tank size etc.

Because no2 is increasing, it looks like the flow through the pellets / in the reactor is way to low. Way to low means low oxygen levels. You need this to turn no2 into no3.

No3 is lower, for how far you can measure this small step.

Po4 is also lower, but not much. people expect miracles with high po4 levels. They need to be low to begin with, otherwise the balance between no3 and po4 is way off.

Best Regards / Met vriendelijke groet,

Dennis van Houten
D. van Houten Import-Export B.V.

Scott's interpretation:
In other words, if your PO4 is considerably high then it's best to bring it down with PO4x4 1st and then once it has stabilized to acceptable level (or it's exhausted and acceptable) then remove and add all-in-one biopellets.

-------- Oorspronkelijk bericht --------
Van: Jean Paul ten Klooster
Datum:22-07-2014 22:17 (GMT+01:00)
Onderwerp: RE: Fwd: New Post/Thread Notification: Aquarium Specialty

Zou fijn zijn als ze vermelden hoeveel hij gebruikt, hoe groot de bak is etc. ..

aangezien nitriet omhoog gaat denk Ik dat de doorstroming Veel te laag is iig weinig zuurstof

nitraat is lager, zover dat bij zulke waardes te meten is

fosfaat is ook lager, maar niet veel. Mensen verwachten wonderen met hoge fosfaat waardes. Die moet wel laag zijn om me te beginnen anders is de verhouding nitraat en fosfaat helemaal zoek

watsonj
07/23/2014, 06:32 AM
I hate to keep harping on this but I really would like to know what you or the Manufacturer recommends as the ideal Biopellet reactor to run upto 2L of pellets. I am looking for a brand and model# please

watsonj
07/23/2014, 06:40 AM
Po4 is also lower, but not much. people expect miracles with high po4 levels. They need to be low to begin with, otherwise the balance between no3 and po4 is way off.

Best Regards / Met vriendelijke groet,

Dennis van Houten
D. van Houten Import-Export B.V.

Scott's interpretation:
In other words, if your PO4 is considerably high then it's best to bring it down with PO4x4 1st and then once it has stabilized to acceptable level (or it's exhausted and acceptable) then remove and add all-in-one Biopellets.

I started with very low PO4 level and very low nitrate levels they had been that way for 6 months, I did not expect miracles. I had expected something better that the BRS biopellets I had been running. I am not giving up on the product yet just trying to figure out how to get them running well for me. The denudation of the surface of the pellets leads to a lot of GFO type particles in the water and skimmer cup. I wonder what effect this would have on a system with Clams in it?

AquariumSpecialty
07/23/2014, 07:28 AM
I hate to keep harping on this but I really would like to know what you or the Manufacturer recommends as the ideal Biopellet reactor to run upto 2L of pellets. I am looking for a brand and model# please

This is one of the largest US made reactors we offer

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/triton-aquatics-bluefin-6-tall-blue-br610-reactor

And this is from Germany...

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/royal-exclusiv-dreambox-pellet-filters

watsonj
07/23/2014, 02:59 PM
Thanks I am trying to order the 5 Lt Royal Unit from Germany but when I check out it says shipping method unavailable no matter what shipping method I select?

AquariumSpecialty
07/23/2014, 03:02 PM
Thanks I am trying to order the 5 Lt Royal Unit from Germany but when I check out it says shipping method unavailable no matter what shipping method I select?

Please give us a call and we will trouble shoot the issue with you.

803-778-4445
or
803-788-5990

Thanks,

watsonj
07/23/2014, 03:26 PM
Great customer service from Scott, got the reactor ordered. The error was all mine not Aquarium specialty's :)

AquariumSpecialty
07/23/2014, 03:32 PM
Great customer service from Scott, got the reactor ordered. The error was all mine not Aquarium specialty's :)

Many thanks Jason. I have the correct data sheet listed on the Speedy 80 watt pump now. Glad we caught that.

jptenklooster
07/24/2014, 02:50 AM
Hello everybody, I'm finally able to answer questions on reefcentral regarding the new all-in-one biopellets. although I won't be able to answer questions on a daily basis, I'll try to visit RC as often as possible and assist in questions and problems where I can.

cheers Jean Paul

jptenklooster
07/24/2014, 02:55 AM
If people have questions could they include the following:

1 tank volume
2 feeding frequency, what kind of food and tank composition (number of fish)
3 using additional GFO or not
4 biopellet volume
5 flow through of the reactor
6 nitrate and phosphate levels before and which kits you are using to measure them
7 time of measurement and whether this is prior to feeding or after feeding. this can make a big difference

jptenklooster
07/24/2014, 03:08 AM
some other points.

we have tested the biopellets for more then 18 months now, on different tanks, with succes. but what is succes? for us the standard is that nitrates should not exceed 1 ppm and phosphates not higher then 0.03 ppm. although for most tanks the phosphates levels were usually not higher then 0.01 ppm. measured in the morning, because levels of phosphate in the afternoon were usually a bit higher because of heavy feeding.

we also tested the biopellets in combination with GFO and observed that the GFO would last much longer, however, the GFO must be placed after the biopellets. In addition, this particular tank was not able to reduce its nitrate content efficiently with the old biopellets (nitrates between 10-20 and now 1 ppm).

Another observation we did was that with a high animal stock there would be so much bacteria produced that the average skimmer could not remove all of the bacterial slime. therefore, filter pads are highly recommended. this will also remove any particulate matter coming from the biopellets.

In one tank we observed a slight increase in red algae or most likely cyano, but the strange thing was that the other tanks, running on the same filtering system, did not show this. however, this disappeared after a few weeks.

Of Note, these pellets require a high flow through to ensure oxygen rich growth allowing a better absorption of N and P. Under low oxygen levels there will be denitrification independent of phosphates by producing N2 gas.

Hopefully this will answer some of the urgend questions that people have.

kind regards,

JP

AquariumSpecialty
07/24/2014, 07:18 AM
Hello everybody, I'm finally able to answer questions on reefcentral regarding the new all-in-one biopellets. although I won't be able to answer questions on a daily basis, I'll try to visit RC as often as possible and assist in questions and problems where I can.

cheers Jean Paul

Hello JP, great to have you on here! Thanks for your recent posts after a long vacation from Reef Central :-).

saltyair
07/30/2014, 05:38 AM
I have been running these pellets in a fluidized reactor (sweril ) with a 800 gph pump
I have already seen a reduction of no3 tested this morning I am down to 7 I have stopped gfo my po4 has stayed the same.
I am finding that my skimmate is very thick

watsonj
07/30/2014, 07:31 AM
I have been running these pellets in a fluidized reactor (sweril ) with a 800 gph pump
I have already seen a reduction of no3 tested this morning I am down to 7 I have stopped gfo my po4 has stayed the same.
I am finding that my skimmate is very thick

How long have they been running?

Boa1277
07/30/2014, 11:41 PM
I have been running these for the past 4 weeks. I started with 300ml and 2 weeks in I added 200 to bring up total to 500. Just yesterday I added another 500ml. My total volume is 210 gallons including sump. Will the pellets change color when they become active? So far they are the same as when I soaked them.

saltyair
07/31/2014, 05:09 AM
How long have they been running?

Today will be 2 weeks - very early still.
but wow the skimmate is almost like mud I've had to clean my collection cup twice this week.

saltyair
07/31/2014, 05:10 AM
I have been running these for the past 4 weeks. I started with 300ml and 2 weeks in I added 200 to bring up total to 500. Just yesterday I added another 500ml. My total volume is 210 gallons including sump. Will the pellets change color when they become active? So far they are the same as when I soaked them.

I don't think they change colour

greenfish
08/01/2014, 11:30 AM
Update:

Strange thing since my last update. In a past update I mentioned adding more AIO pellets to my reactor. I have experienced a rapid depletion of the AIO pellets. They seem to have dissolved in about 3 days all the pellets that I added to the system were gone. The skimmer skim mate was full of very fine particles and very dark. I am guessing that the AIO are now skim mate. This happened very fast. I checked the system and everything was good, 3 days later checked again and my reactor was almost empty and skimmer full of dissolved AIO pellets. Very strange, and no idea why or what caused this.

So because of that and the red algae issues I removed the AIO from my system. I added my PO4 reactor back and everything is running as it was before the AIO test. And as soon as I took the pellets off the system the red algae went away. Current readings as of this morning are:

Nitrite: .12
Nitrate: 1.5
PO4: .18 Significantly lower with the reactor than with the AIO

Readings are dropping daily and will soon be back to normal.

My test of this product is taking into consideration starting levels of my system, removal of biopellets and GFO, soaking AIO with biopellets to "seed" the AIO pellets with established bacteria, adding to system and allowing to run. This allowed levels in my system to increase while the product broke in and ran. The product should have been able to lower levels back to starting levels or lower but it was unable to do so. PO4 in my system continued to increase and I had an issue with red algae.

So for my system I have to conclude that the AIO were a waste of $$$. It was fun trying out a new product but I must conclude that they do not do what the manufacture says. They significantly increased my PO4 and couldn't lower them back to levels as when I started. They were great for nitrates, having brought them down fairly quickly but so are regular biopellets...for PO4 as I stated before the product sucks and doesn't do what it says, not even close. Removing the strange dissolving of the pellets from the equation I have to say I cannot recommend this product based on my experience with it. So for others thinking of this product I sadly have to say save your money.

watsonj
08/01/2014, 12:55 PM
I am having a green slime algae issue right now I wonder if it is related to the pellets....

robi0543
08/01/2014, 01:34 PM
Hi all
Im from Ireland and recently Ive switched to all in one bio pellets.
My tank is small 2ft cube
Running calcium reactor skimmer and now recirculating bio pellet reactor
http://youtu.be/ecF3Byq4fCc?list=UUy2g3CMz-hBPQ9__epTDyWQ
Light 4x24w t5 1 x 250w mh 14000k
Skimmer - dc3000 mesh impeller pump
bubble magus calcium reactor.
Not many corals at the moment because crash few weeks ago but I have to say those pellets work very well. Corals that are left in the tank have nice colour nicely extending polyps.

those are test done after first week of using them
http://s26.postimg.org/3wi7depqd/20140719_173803.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/3wi7depqd/)
http://s26.postimg.org/aybjlv3yd/20140730_164837.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/aybjlv3yd/)

test done 2 days ago
http://s26.postimg.org/vl4ukxcqt/20140730_165455.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/vl4ukxcqt/)
http://s26.postimg.org/8xplerx6t/20140730_164844.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/8xplerx6t/)

And full tank shot
Not many corals most of my corals are in my friend tank after crash.
http://s26.postimg.org/ymvmuvpvp/20140731_175157.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/ymvmuvpvp/)

greenfish
08/01/2014, 02:41 PM
I am having a green slime algae issue right now I wonder if it is related to the pellets....

I'm not sure...but my thoughts are these: If you didn't have green slime algae before, and do now...then I would say yes it is related to the pellets. Such was my case with the red algae. I removed the pellets and got my system back to how I usually ran it and no more algae. We all know algae is bad for our systems...I believe any product that seems to cause algae is also bad for our systems....just my opinion....

watsonj
08/01/2014, 02:44 PM
I have algae issues like I have never had before :(

greenfish
08/01/2014, 03:00 PM
I have algae issues like I have never had before :(

I did too. I never had red algae as bad as I had for many many years. 24 hours (approximately) after restoring my system and removing the AIO pellets the red algae was gone. Literally over night. So for me and my system it was most definitely the AIO pellets that was causing it.

saltyair
08/02/2014, 08:54 AM
Just tested this morning and showing un detectable no3 and .01 p04

I still have cyano. I had it befor starting.
Any word on how much flow for 1000ml ?
Crazy thick skimmate but not showing any deterioration of pellets

robi0543
08/02/2014, 08:58 AM
I'm using 1000ml of pellets in my reactor. It is feed by hydor 500l/h pump set to maybe half. Recirculating pump is mj1000 running at around 800l/h
I did have cyano in my tank before I've start using them one treatment using cyanoclean and all gone.

saltyair
08/04/2014, 06:05 AM
I am actually really seeing positive benifits with these pellets my cyano is disappearing and sps are doing fantastic.
I do see amazing amount of skimmate.

saltyair
08/05/2014, 05:04 AM
I was thinking about the gfo aspect of theses bio pellets. Many have been concerned that it will end up in the system. What are the long term effects of gfo flowing through the system. I have see a reduction in no3 and no4 already. I was carbon dosing vinegar and removed gfo.
I think the concept is the gfo captures the po4 and promotes bacterial growth like a seeding a petri dish to promote growth.
I think a few keys to theses pellets is high rate of flow and a strong skimmer

Boa1277
08/05/2014, 10:19 PM
We'll my N03 is .01 & my N04 is .058 on my Hannah Phosphorus Checker. This has been slightly decreasing over last few weeks. Every time I do a water change my N04 gets slightly better. These seem to be starting to do as advertised!

Dapg8gt
08/05/2014, 11:37 PM
We'll my N03 is .01 & my N04 is .058 on my Hannah Phosphorus Checker. This has been slightly decreasing over last few weeks. Every time I do a water change my N04 gets slightly better. These seem to be starting to do as advertised!

So your shooting for 0 N03? What about p04?

fruth2000
08/06/2014, 01:54 PM
I have been reading the posts on the all in one biopellets. I now run biopellets and Phosban. I would love to get away from the phosban. So what is the general consensus on the all in one pellets? I don't see anyone :bounce1: jumping for joy.

Boa1277
08/06/2014, 02:13 PM
So your shooting for 0 N03? What about p04?

Actually I am ok with .01 to .03 on my N03 and I want to be less than .04 on my N04. If I can consistently keep those perimeters I will be happy!

greenfish
08/07/2014, 03:07 PM
I have been reading the posts on the all in one biopellets. I now run biopellets and Phosban. I would love to get away from the phosban. So what is the general consensus on the all in one pellets? I don't see anyone :bounce1: jumping for joy.

I didn't have any luck with the all in one pellets. They worked great for nitrate and nitrite but not phosphates. As all our tanks are slightly different from one another some are having success where I did not. If you have no issues with your current setup then I say keep doing what you are doing. My switch from biopellets and GFO caused a dramatic increase in PO4 which my system is now getting back to normal. My current PO4 reading is now .08.

saltyair
08/07/2014, 03:53 PM
I'm at week three and was getting a little worried that these pellets were not doing what was advertised.
Just checked Parms 0 no3 and .01 po4
Noticing some faster growth and up take in alk
Cyano is almost gone

AquariumSpecialty
08/07/2014, 04:09 PM
I'm at week three and was getting a little worried that these pellets were not doing what was advertised.
Just checked Parms 0 no3 and .01 po4
Noticing some faster growth and up take in alk
Cyano is almost gone

That sounds like some great news. Glad to hear and thanks for sharing.

MRCYCS805
08/07/2014, 04:26 PM
Hows it going fellas I just recently purchased some all in one biopellets on Tuesday and wanted to check and see how everybody's running them. Do these pellets need to be ran in a recirculating reactor or will a regular reactor do just fine. I have a modded tlf150 for tumble and recirculating and if I can get away without the recirculating mod and feed the reactor off my manifold and just have the effluent directed towards the skimmer that would be sweet open up more space in the sump and a outlet on my reefkeeper but if not i have no problem running a recirculating if I have to . Any info is appreciated thanks fellas.

saltyair
08/09/2014, 06:52 AM
Hows it going fellas I just recently purchased some all in one biopellets on Tuesday and wanted to check and see how everybody's running them. Do these pellets need to be ran in a recirculating reactor or will a regular reactor do just fine. I have a modded tlf150 for tumble and recirculating and if I can get away without the recirculating mod and feed the reactor off my manifold and just have the effluent directed towards the skimmer that would be sweet open up more space in the sump and a outlet on my reefkeeper but if not i have no problem running a recirculating if I have to . Any info is appreciated thanks fellas.

Definitely recirculating reactor

Boa1277
08/10/2014, 02:44 PM
Well so far so good N03 undetectable, P04 .037 on my Hannah Phosophorus, so figuring a worse case scenario I am looking at P04 of .077, but by the looks of things it is less than .05 for sure. I am currently running 1000 ML of AIO I am wondering when I will need to add or replace the media. I have never ran any type of Bio Pellet in the past so this is pretty new to me.

chercm
08/12/2014, 04:06 PM
i started cycling on my new 2x2x2ft tank approximately 69 gallons on 22Jul with the All in one bio pellets and Microbacter 7. it seems that the no3 have been raising to 5ppm from 2 ppm.

reactor : JNS alpha 2 reactor

I only have 5 snails and 2 neon goby and i used 500ml of bio pellets.

Is that too little?

micspit
08/14/2014, 03:08 AM
Hi. I m using the first gen of bio pellets. And i m happy with it. But sometimes i ve to use gfo to keep my po4 @ 0.02 0.03.
No3 are still arround 2.

I use 1500 ml for my 1600l system with a reefoctopus reactor and a 4000l/h pump. It thrumble well. Never stops...

iwould try the all in one bio pellets .to forget the gfo.

which quantity of all in one ? The same than regular pellets?

Can i replace the old by new all in one when the level go down ?

And check the parametres .

thx

Michael

saltyair
08/15/2014, 06:25 AM
I would mix them with the old pellets

Hi. I m using the first gen of bio pellets. And i m happy with it. But sometimes i ve to use gfo to keep my po4 @ 0.02 0.03.
No3 are still arround 2.

I use 1500 ml for my 1600l system with a reefoctopus reactor and a 4000l/h pump. It thrumble well. Never stops...

iwould try the all in one bio pellets .to forget the gfo.

which quantity of all in one ? The same than regular pellets?

Can i replace the old by new all in one when the level go down ?

And check the parametres .

thx

Michael

micspit
08/15/2014, 06:52 AM
That s what i think to do. You have an idea if i will need the same quantity? Thx

saltyair
08/17/2014, 11:05 AM
That s what i think to do. You have an idea if i will need the same quantity? Thx

Adding 500ml would be enough to get them started

robert s b.
08/21/2014, 09:01 AM
I just bought this product, How much should I start with?

chercm
08/21/2014, 10:23 PM
i started cycling on my new 2x2x2ft tank approximately 69 gallons on 22Jul with the All in one bio pellets and Microbacter 7. it seems that the no3 have been raising to 5ppm from 2 ppm.

reactor : JNS alpha 2 reactor

I only have 5 snails and 2 neon goby and i used 500ml of bio pellets.

Is that too little?

anyone can reply ?

AquariumSpecialty
08/22/2014, 06:46 AM
anyone can reply ?

Your aquarium is not even a month old yet. Your aquarium is still cycling most likely. Give it some time.

chercm
08/22/2014, 06:47 AM
Your aquarium is not even a month old yet. Your aquarium is still cycling most likely. Give it some time.

do i need to increase the volume of bio pellets ?

AquariumSpecialty
08/22/2014, 06:50 AM
do i need to increase the volume of bio pellets ?

I wouldn't think so. I'm running about 300ml on the exact same sized tank but I could probably stand to use a little more since I have about 20 clownfish in the tank.

chercm
08/22/2014, 06:52 AM
do i continue to dose micro bacter 7 ?

msderganc
08/22/2014, 10:53 AM
Ok, so I just wanted to share my experience with these pellets. I've got a 260g system (~190g display) which has been up for about 9 months. Prior to getting the All-in-One (bad name, btw) biopellets, I was constantly fighting PO4 since I'd had 0 detectable NO3. I was actually dosing sodium nitrate to help the bacteria consume phosphate, which was working decently, but was annoying.

So I saw these come out, and decided to try them. I bought them as soon as they were in stock, and I've been using them since I got them (I think it was probably early June?). At first, I mixed them in with my existing BP, and didn't see much of a change. I was running about 2L of total biopellets at that point, with about 250ml of AIO BP. My plan was to only add the AIO as my older ones were used up. After a couple weeks of no change, I got frustrated.

I pulled out all of the BP that were in there, picked out the majority of the AIO pellets, and added about another 250ml of AIO. So that was about 4-6 weeks ago, and I've maintained about 750ml of total pellets, 500ml of which are AIO. Of course, due to the shakeup, I saw my levels go up initially (maxed around .1 PO4 and 2 ppm NO3). I ran GFO at first to get the PO4 down, then pulled it about a month ago.

In the past week and a half, I saw my skimmer explode with dark skimmate, and my levels have fallen to undetectable (Hanna Phosphate and Phosphorus, Salifert Nitrate). The light cyano outbreak I'd had (just on the sandbed in a few spots) has significantly receded, and I'm doing a lights out period to really kill it off. I'm only using 750ml of pellets. My current stocking is 5 large (6"+) fish, and about 17 smaller fish (Anthias, Ocellaris, Wrasses, etc). I feed about 4 cubes of frozen a day, plus probably a tablespoon of the Neptune Crossover Diet pellets. 3-4 times a week I give them a 1/4 sheet of Nori.

I'd say that these are the best BP I've used on this tank so far (beating NPX, BRS, and Ecobak), but it took a while to really get them up and going. One additional edit: I'm using the AquaMaxx BP reactor, and I find that the flow through it is critical. I have been everywhere between 90 and about 600 gph. I think the sweet spot is about 300gph for me (measured effective GPH based on the outlet). The pellets are really moving in the top layer.

Jacthereefer
08/23/2014, 11:21 AM
My tank details:
110 gallons display, 50 gallons sump ~ 100 gallons total water volume;
Mixed reef, mostly sps, zoas, chalice, brains, and some softies thrown in;
Fishes: 2 tangs, 1 clown, 2 wrasse, 2 dwarf angels, 1 sunburst anthias, 1 purple firefish;
Feeding New Life Spectrum pellets about 3 pinches/day, nori sheets 2" x 2" daily,hikari brine shrimp about twice a week.
Skimmer is aquamaxx co-3 cone skimmer
Tank has been running for 2.5 years?

So i thought i'd share my experience with aio biopellets.

I started using the product since 3rd week of june. I wanted to try it because i was getting tired of constantly using gfo, plus i could never lower my nitrate levels below 10ppm.

So before using aio, po4 was .02 (as per hannah checker low range). And no3 was 10ppm (salifert)

I initially used. 200ml but a week after i added anoher 100 ml for a total of 300 ml, more or less. I used my old reef octopus media reactor ( i used it before for my gfo) and powering it is a jebao dc3000 dialled in to run at about 1500 liters/hour or about 350 gph.

So fast forward to now and i have since put a total of 800ml of aio in my reactor and cranked up the pump's output to maximum 3000 liters/hour.

My issue now is i have never been able to lower my nitrate level even after more than two months of using aio. My po4 shot up to .7ppm so i brought back my gfo online. After doing that my po4 slowly went down to what it is now-- around .01 to .02 ppm.

So my question is, what do i do to make this product work for me? As far as i can tell, it is not doing anything (either bad or good) to my tank. Heck, i don't even think the pellets are dissolving(?) as they are supposed to.

msderganc
08/23/2014, 11:43 AM
My tank details:
110 gallons display, 50 gallons sump ~ 100 gallons total water volume;
Mixed reef, mostly sps, zoas, chalice, brains, and some softies thrown in;
Fishes: 2 tangs, 1 clown, 2 wrasse, 2 dwarf angels, 1 sunburst anthias, 1 purple firefish;
Feeding New Life Spectrum pellets about 3 pinches/day, nori sheets 2" x 2" daily,hikari brine shrimp about twice a week.
Skimmer is aquamaxx co-3 cone skimmer
Tank has been running for 2.5 years?

I started using the product since 3rd week of june. I wanted to try it because i was getting tired of constantly using gfo, plus i could never lower my nitrate levels below 10ppm.

So before using aio, po4 was .02 (as per hannah checker low range). And no3 was 10ppm (salifert)

I initially used. 200ml but a week after i added anoher 100 ml for a total of 300 ml, more or less. I used my old reef octopus media reactor ( i used it before for my gfo) and powering it is a jebao dc3000 dialled in to run at about 1500 liters/hour or about 350 gph.

So fast forward to now and i have since put a total of 800ml of aio in my reactor and cranked up the pump's output to maximum 3000 liters/hour.

My issue now is i have never been able to lower my nitrate level even after more than two months of using aio. My po4 shot up to .7ppm so i brought back my gfo online. After doing that my po4 slowly went down to what it is now-- around .01 to .02 ppm.

So my question is, what do i do to make this product work for me? As far as i can tell, it is not doing anything (either bad or good) to my tank. Heck, i don't even think the pellets are dissolving(?) as they are supposed to.

I think you might have too much flow going through, but that's just a guess. I've only heard of people using that much flow on the recirculating reactors. Where is the output of your reactor going?

If you pulled GFO at the same time you first added the pellets, that would explain the phosphate spike. My guess is that they didn't have enough time to kick in for real.

Jacthereefer
08/24/2014, 12:12 AM
Yes i pulled out gfo when i added aio. I was expecting po4 to spike but after about a month of use and no improvement in no3 plus po4 rising to unacceptable level i decided to put the gfo back on line.

Was also thinking maybe i have too much flow going through the pellets as i dont have a recirculating reactor. But if i lessen the input flow, pellets wont tumble.

So what do you think i should do?

Jacthereefer
08/24/2014, 12:13 AM
Oh and the output of the reactor is positioned very close to the intake of my skimmers pump.

msderganc
08/24/2014, 12:23 AM
It's tough to say for sure. I played with the flow rate a bit before I got good results, which may have just been a consequence of time anyway. Maybe try reducing the GFO a little at a time until you're not running it anymore? Over a few weeks maybe?

I'm thinking that may allow the bacteria to catch up to the demand. Also, I keep a piece of masking tape at the top of the pellet layer (with the reactor off). It helps me judge consumption and ensure I am not changing the amount of pellets when I top off.

Jacthereefer
08/24/2014, 10:31 AM
Thanks but at this point i am not very keen on removing the gfo as i do not want po4 level to rise again. But i dont know maybe ill slowly wean it off my system.

Funny thing is i did just that- i put masking at the top layer of my pellets so i would know how much pellet has been depleted. But like i said, after two months the level is still the same.

I am giving this another month and see how it goes. Again thanks.

saltyair
08/25/2014, 04:58 AM
What were the po4 readings with out pellets and gfo?

Are the pellets rolling and constant?

Jacthereefer
08/25/2014, 05:53 AM
Po4 reading before i ran gfo and reactor online was very high, i think >1 ppm. It took me several months to lower it to ~.02 ppm. I had kept it within that range prior to using the pellets.

The pellets are stirred up ( i dont know about rolling) constantly if i keep flow very high.

chercm
08/25/2014, 06:05 PM
i am still waiting for the bio pellets to start working , no3 still at 1ppm

saltyair
08/27/2014, 05:21 AM
@ higher po4 levels it will take longer - I would suggest running 1/2 the amount of gfo for a few weeks till the pellets start working.
This product neededs to be churning all the time for them to work effectively.
I am actually showing lower overall po4 and no3 every time I test- I feed heavily
my sps growth has been fantastic over the last 4 weeks

QUOTE=Jacthereefer;23044668]Po4 reading before i ran gfo and reactor online was very high, i think >1 ppm. It took me several months to lower it to ~.02 ppm. I had kept it within that range prior to using the pellets.

The pellets are stirred up ( i dont know about rolling) constantly if i keep flow very high.[/QUOTE]

Jacthereefer
08/28/2014, 06:17 AM
@saltyair what kind of reactor are you using? I am not able to achieve a good tumble unless i keep flow very high, and that according to some is not good for the pellets. Would hate to buy another reactor

Jay Ellul
08/28/2014, 06:32 AM
My current biopellets (tlf) took six months to really get working in my system for what it's worth.

watsonj
08/29/2014, 07:45 PM
Well I am going to give these another try. this time I am unsung an Aqualund 500 recirculating reactor. Since the time I gave up the first time I went back to regular biopellets they kicked in very fast and took nitrates and PO4 to zero very quickly the down side is that the tank looks worse than when I ran the all in ones corals are bleaching and not growing. i had fantastic growth with the AIO pellets and coral color but high nitrates and Phosphate I am hoping that with the recirculating reactor I can get the high tumbling action they requires and still control the effluent feed. So day one starts tomorrow.

again......

Jay Ellul
08/30/2014, 05:58 AM
Well I am going to give these another try. this time I am unsung an Aqualund 500 recirculating reactor. Since the time I gave up the first time I went back to regular biopellets they kicked in very fast and took nitrates and PO4 to zero very quickly the down side is that the tank looks worse than when I ran the all in ones corals are bleaching and not growing. i had fantastic growth with the AIO pellets and coral color but high nitrates and Phosphate I am hoping that with the recirculating reactor I can get the high tumbling action they requires and still control the effluent feed. So day one starts tomorrow.

again......

Looking forward to results :)

Pics?

watsonj
08/31/2014, 09:08 PM
I just took a vid showing the AIO setup and tumbling ext.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf9u5sBtbUY

MRCYCS805
08/31/2014, 09:09 PM
I just took a vid showing the AIO setup and tumbling ext.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf9u5sBtbUY
Cant view it says marked private

watsonj
08/31/2014, 09:12 PM
Can you try again I just changed the settings

Shiftster
08/31/2014, 11:26 PM
Works for me now 😉

saltyair
09/01/2014, 10:07 AM
@saltyair what kind of reactor are you using? I am not able to achieve a good tumble unless i keep flow very high, and that according to some is not good for the pellets. Would hate to buy another reactor

Mine is a multi-media fluidized reactor fr-45
I run 800 hph

saltyair
09/01/2014, 10:19 AM
Very impressive fish room
I am very happy and surprised how well these pellets are working. I also feed heavily my no3 is still undetectable and now have .02 po4 hanna checker.

I was vinegar dosing for about a year before trying this media.
I started @ 20 no3 and 1.1 po4 without gfo ( with gfo .07) average
It really started to kick in for me @ week 3
I now only run carbon - I am hoping that gfo will be a thing of the past.

QUOTE=watsonj;23063012]I just took a vid showing the AIO setup and tumbling ext.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf9u5sBtbUY[/QUOTE]

tunicata
09/01/2014, 08:00 PM
Has anyone had luck with using these on a TLF regular reactor??

Right now I have my regular BP (TLF) in the TLF small reactor and it runs off of my manifold fully open. I only have about...120g water total system (80g display, 62 g sump, which is no where near full). I think I put in 50mls of pellets.

There is decent movement right now, but I'm worried that when I increase the amt of BP it won't be that easy to have decent flow.
I'd rather not have to use a pump....

Anyway, I figure that if these are heavier and larger then running AIO off of my manifold probably wont work???

Any info in support/against?

saltyair
09/03/2014, 04:32 AM
As long as you have steady churning you should be fine.

Jacthereefer
09/03/2014, 05:34 AM
@saltyair I read somewhee that you are not supposed to make any water change until biopellets start to kick in. Is therre truth to this?

AquariumSpecialty
09/03/2014, 06:02 AM
@saltyair I read somewhee that you are not supposed to make any water change until biopellets start to kick in. Is therre truth to this?

There is no reason not to do water changes.

saltyair
09/04/2014, 05:23 AM

No do regular wc - don't change anything you were doing before ( unless you were carbon dosing)

saltyair
09/04/2014, 05:28 AM
There is no reason not to do water changes.

Scott - just curious on the testing results before coming to market.
What was the rate of depletion of the pellets
How many gph were they running?
did they see po4 changes when topping up the pellets?

watsonj
09/04/2014, 06:46 AM
Update:
Phosphates initially came up and have decreased each day, nitrates are steadily climbing @ 0.5 per day right now. This is not a typical install given I had biopellets running in the tank and the AIO pellets were placed into this fully seeded reactor.

I increased the recirculation flow today and saw some shedding/stripping come off the pellets which I consider a good sign. I have left the biopellet tumble at this higher rate for now. Effluent flow is 60 GPH recirculation flow is around 650 GPH ( very rough estimate as it is impossible to measure, tumble is aggressive).

I continue to feed heavily to make sure there a plenty of nutrients available for the bacteria. In the past I have dosed vinegar to get Biopellets to kick off, it usually works within 5 days if I do this. If I do not get any movement on the nitrates in the next week I will do a vinegar dosing for a week to see if it helps start them.
Test kits used are Red Sea nitrate , Hanna Alk, Hanna PO4 low range

------PO4----NO3----ALK
day 1 0.06-----0------7.0
day 2 0.05-----1------7.5
day 3 0.03----1.5-----7.5
day 4 0.00----2.0-----7.5

1 tank volume : 200 Gal
2 feeding frequency, what kind of food and tank composition (number of fish): twice a day AM and PM 15 fish 1-4" each
3 using additional GFO or not: No GFO
4 biopellet volume: 500 ML
5 flow through of the reactor: 60GPH effluent, 650GPH recirculating
6 nitrate and phosphate levels before and which kits you are using to measure them: nitrates 0, PO4 0.0 RedSea NO3 and Hanna PO4
7 time of measurement and whether this is prior to feeding or after feeding. this can make a big difference: early AM prior to feeding

saltyair
09/04/2014, 08:42 AM
Mine took about ten days to really show results - sounds like we have a similar set up.
I carbon dosed a full week slowly decreasing.
Are you noticing increase skimmate?
Imo I would have kept some of the old pellets in the reactor.
I have 1000 ml running in my 200 total water system

QUOTE=watsonj;23071884]Update:
Phosphates initially came up and have decreased each day, nitrates are steadily climbing @ 0.5 per day right now. This is not a typical install given I had biopellets running in the tank and the AIO pellets were placed into this fully seeded reactor.

I increased the recirculation flow today and saw some shedding/stripping come off the pellets which I consider a good sign. I have left the biopellet tumble at this higher rate for now. Effluent flow is 60 GPH recirculation flow is around 650 GPH ( very rough estimate as it is impossible to measure, tumble is aggressive).

I continue to feed heavily to make sure there a plenty of nutrients available for the bacteria. In the past I have dosed vinegar to get Biopellets to kick off, it usually works within 5 days if I do this. If I do not get any movement on the nitrates in the next week I will do a vinegar dosing for a week to see if it helps start them.
Test kits used are Red Sea nitrate , Hanna Alk, Hanna PO4 low range

------PO4----NO3----ALK
day 1 0.06-----0------7.0
day 2 0.05-----1------7.5
day 3 0.03----1.5-----7.5
day 4 0.00----2.0-----7.5

1 tank volume : 200 Gal
2 feeding frequency, what kind of food and tank composition (number of fish): twice a day AM and PM 15 fish 1-4" each
3 using additional GFO or not: No GFO
4 biopellet volume: 500 ML
5 flow through of the reactor: 60GPH effluent, 650GPH recirculating
6 nitrate and phosphate levels before and which kits you are using to measure them: nitrates 0, PO4 0.0 RedSea NO3 and Hanna PO4
7 time of measurement and whether this is prior to feeding or after feeding. this can make a big difference: early AM prior to feeding[/QUOTE]

watsonj
09/04/2014, 09:48 AM
I left some of the old pellets in the system around 50 ml. what did you Dose for carbon?
I just decided to start dosing 7ml white vinegar/day starting now :)

saltyair
09/04/2014, 03:47 PM
I left some of the old pellets in the system around 50 ml. what did you Dose for carbon?
I just decided to start dosing 7ml white vinegar/day starting now :)

I was dosing vinegar @ 45mls per day
My po4 went up a bit then steadly decreased I tested this morning 0.01 Hanna

chercm
09/04/2014, 04:36 PM
When mentioned dose carbon , does it mean I can dose micro bacter7?

cvicente
09/08/2014, 11:54 AM
I honestly don't understand the obsession of keeping such low levels of PO4 and NO3 in the first place.

cvicente
09/08/2014, 01:21 PM
This tank runs with .79ppm PO4 and 2.58 NO3, both measured with a LaMotte Smart 2 Colorimeter.

http://youtu.be/cw_I1Pg5c68

http://youtu.be/cw_I1Pg5c68

Jacthereefer
09/10/2014, 04:22 AM
I'm getting a lot of fine grit-like material all over my sump because of the pellets. Is this ok or should i put a filtering material at the end of my reactor's output to control this?

saltyair
09/10/2014, 05:26 AM
I'm getting a lot of fine grit-like material all over my sump because of the pellets. Is this ok or should i put a filtering material at the end of my reactor's output to control this?

When first starting I placed a filter sock - after a few weeks I noticed 0 residue
be sure to have the output next to the skimmer intake

chercm
09/12/2014, 09:00 PM
my no3 still suck at 0.5ppm ( measured using SAlifert )

I am using 200ml on the JNS alpha 2

is this flow rate sufficient ?

http://vid2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/chercm/IMG_1854.mp4

watsonj
09/12/2014, 09:13 PM

I am dealing with this now also run output through a sock till you get a biofilm going and the residue slows down , thats the theory anyway.

http://youtu.be/t2g5LuW1CMI

Dapg8gt
09/12/2014, 11:14 PM
my no3 still suck at 0.5ppm ( measured using SAlifert )

I am using 200ml on the JNS alpha 2

is this flow rate sufficient ?

Don't have an answer for the flow rate but what level n03 are you shooting for? . 05 is not low enough? Just asking as I'm wondering why you need it lower..

Are they working for you p04?

chercm
09/13/2014, 12:11 AM
I thought using pellets it will be 0 for no3 to proof it is working

Dapg8gt
09/13/2014, 01:17 AM
Imo opinion if it's holding at the level you want and isn't rising with the increased feedings your able/should be doing (and really the main benefit imo of using something like pellets/vodka/vinegar) with a carbon source it's working, not getting it to 0. Been there done that (not with pellets though) ulns is something I won't ever put my tank through again.

Just my opinion and experience though I dose carbon daily not in the form of pellets and as long as my nitrates don't rise with my really heavy fish load and feedings im OK with the dose and the tank does good.

I really am not trying to sidetrack the thread though and take away from the sponsor or this product at all I truly hope these live up to the claim .Its just my experience and a lot of others who agree a true 0 is all bad.. It's pretty standard advice nowadays although I usually don't comment on it because it usually leads to an argument in one way or another .Def look it up though and draw your own conclusion.. Even Dr. Randy Holmes says a little is better than none fwiw..

There is many ways to run a tank though so to each his own, I'm not saying it's wrong for all I just know it's wrong for me. Really dont want to take this off course anymore than I already have though as its not fair for the sponsor so I'll go back to lurking =).. But I do hope people will keep reporting accurate info on them especially the p04 side of the equation as we all know polymers will eventually defeat n03 in the system.

I have a recirculating reactor waiting for me to fire up but I just can't seem to do it.. These initially had me ready to try them after positive reviews so I'm lurking here till I'm convinced or draw a conclusion to stick with what I have going..

Imax
09/13/2014, 03:16 AM
Very interesting post, thanks for sharing your experiences with this new product.
One question i never find an answer for: Do I remove all the old NP pellets, or can I mix AIO with old NP pellets in the same reactor?

watsonj
09/13/2014, 07:08 AM
I left a 1/4 cup in the mix to help seed. you can see the remnants in the video I posted above.

chercm
09/13/2014, 07:09 AM
I left a 1/4 cup in the mix to help seed. you can see the remnants in the video I posted above.

Which video please ?

watsonj
09/13/2014, 07:18 AM
here is the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2g5LuW1CMI&feature=youtu.be

chercm
09/13/2014, 07:28 AM
i also have those in my sump

watsonj
09/13/2014, 09:12 AM
Day 14 : Nitrates 5ppm, PO4 0.04 also dosing vinegar @ 17ml a day in 200 Gal water volume system.
I added a sock to the output as the fines were getting everywhere. Phosphate have been up and down , there is zero bacterial slime in the reactor it was thick with it when I switched to from BRS pellets to AIO pellets telling me that the pellets have not yet kicked in at all yet.

watsonj
09/13/2014, 09:16 AM

So my question is, what do i do to make this product work for me? As far as i can tell, it is not doing anything (either bad or good) to my tank. Heck, i don't even think the pellets are dissolving(?) as they are supposed to.[/QUOTE]

How are the pellets working for you?

Jacthereefer
09/15/2014, 12:43 AM
@watsonj- nitrate level remains the same at around 10ppm as per salifert test kit. Phosphate is at .02 as per hanna. I have recently (last week) upgraded to a reef octopus bio churn recirculating reactor (bio churn 120R), hoping that it would help pellets run more effectively. I have also started adding prodibio biodigest. I also began dosing 20 ml vinegar daily.

So how is it working for me? Frankly, after using 900 ml in a 110 gallon mixed reef for more than three months, I do not as yet notice any dramatic, awe-inspiring results with the biopellets. My nitrate level has been the same since the day I started using it and phosphate would still rise if i do not use gfo.

So there. This has been a practice in patience more than anything else.

watsonj
09/15/2014, 05:16 AM
Jacthereefer, thanks for the update I to struggle to actually get the pellets to start to support a bacterial population this was the most frustrating thing the first time and now with revised equipment I am hoping for a better result but no luck so far.My skimate has slowed down to that of a non biopellet system, when I have pellets working the skimate is a very stable foam which stopped this last week. Saltyair is the only member to date that I have seen say they have good results, a practice in patience is right LOL.

saltyair
09/17/2014, 05:06 AM
Just to up date on my setup
I no longer vinegar dose and have stopped using gfo
readings this morning po4 (hanna) .01 no4 Salford less than 5
with testing I haven't seen big fluctuations since kicking in.
I also have noticed a large amount of granular stuff im my sump and skimmer my skimmate is still dark and muddy. I also think I have to top up my aio already not sure if circulating them at 800 gph wears them down faster.
I have also started feeding and using amino acids more frequently.
I am cleaning the glass once maybe twice a week
I would like to hear from the vendor or makers on what their replacement rate was and how they dealt with bio film

watsonj
09/17/2014, 06:47 AM
I am running mine through a sock right now to catch all the granular byproduct trouble is I can't direct the effluent directly into my skimmer now . I am working on fabricating a sock holder in a tube and the tube outlet running into my skimmer, but with work being busy this will take a few weeks to complete.

saltyair
09/17/2014, 09:27 PM
Yea I will also set up a sock and see if it will make a differents might try a nylon

evolutionZ
09/18/2014, 02:19 AM
i have been using AIO biopellet in a modified TLF phosban 150 reactor for 2 about 2 weeks now. i use around 70-80ml of biopellet in my 265L sps tank. nitrate went down from 10-20ppm to 2ppm now after 2 weeks.. not sure about po4 as i only have salifert which always shown 0.

AquariumSpecialty
09/18/2014, 03:59 PM
Just shot a little video with my phone of the all-in-one biopellets tumbling in a old Vertex reactor with a Waveline DC4000 pump. Note that the pump is turned all the way to the lowest speed and that it's also powering a Next Reef reactor with carbon. The valves on the reactors are also slightly closed to dial in the appropriate flow rate for each reactor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuNIvdeWjjw&list=UUqrYDlnTEVtLAm7d3M_jHoA

watsonj
09/18/2014, 10:03 PM
How long have those pellets been running mine are so heavy in the reactor they would never float like that?

watsonj
09/18/2014, 10:09 PM
i have been using AIO biopellet in a modified TLF phosban 150 reactor for 2 about 2 weeks now. i use around 70-80ml of biopellet in my 265L sps tank. nitrate went down from 10-20ppm to 2ppm now after 2 weeks.. not sure about po4 as i only have salifert which always shown 0.

Drives me nuts when I see this and my nitrates just keep rising :spin2:

Joe_Blog
09/19/2014, 12:57 AM
Drives me nuts when I see this and my nitrates just keep rising :spin2:

You're not the only one. :mad::mad: I'm certainly very happy for their excellent results, but my experience has been extremely frustrating.

MRCYCS805
09/19/2014, 07:46 AM
Ive had mine running for a month now started with 0.12 phos and 20 nitrates phos now as of last night 0.00 hannah and 20 ppm nitrate still😟 ive tried h20 changes and cant get the nitrates to budge with these was running aquamaxx bio pellets before this and they kept everything at 0 i just cant figure it out im running 500ml on a 120gal

AquariumSpecialty
09/19/2014, 08:24 AM
How long have those pellets been running mine are so heavy in the reactor they would never float like that?

They have only been running for 24 hours so far. I took them online yesterday and today they are still tumbling in the same fashion. In a few days I will probably need to turn up the flow slightly as the pellets take on more water and swell up.

I was using Biopellets XL and PO4x4 on this particular setup for a long time but decided it was time to mix things up a bit. Yesterday I removed all of the XL and PO4x4 in both reactors and switched over to carbon in one reactor and all-in-one in the other reactor. The tanks are still looking good, actually they are looking better since I wasn't running carbon on this system.

robert s b.
09/19/2014, 01:57 PM
I started using AIO about 2 weeks ago, replaced my GFO. And took my dedicated BP reactor offline. Started a cyano breakout on the sand bed, should I let it run its course or am I screwed and take it out?

saltyair
09/20/2014, 06:19 AM
I started using AIO about 2 weeks ago, replaced my GFO. And took my dedicated BP reactor offline. Started a cyano breakout on the sand bed, should I let it run its course or am I screwed and take it out?

Ride it out not unusual when starting carbon dosing of any kind

AquariumSpecialty
09/22/2014, 08:32 AM
They have only been running for 24 hours so far. I took them online yesterday and today they are still tumbling in the same fashion. In a few days I will probably need to turn up the flow slightly as the pellets take on more water and swell up.

I was using Biopellets XL and PO4x4 on this particular setup for a long time but decided it was time to mix things up a bit. Yesterday I removed all of the XL and PO4x4 in both reactors and switched over to carbon in one reactor and all-in-one in the other reactor. The tanks are still looking good, actually they are looking better since I wasn't running carbon on this system.

Update. A few days have passed and I'm still on the lowest speed setting and the ball valve is still partially closed.

Jacthereefer
09/25/2014, 05:17 AM
What would the best flow to the reactor be (reactor is recirculating):
Low input from feed pump, low tumbling; low input, high tumbling; high input, low tumbling; high input, high tumbling

Ellery
09/26/2014, 08:12 PM
Well it's about 4 months since I started AIO biopellets at 500 ml but slowly increased to 660 ml. I still had cyano lingering so I broke down and purchased an Ozotech Ozone Generator & drier.

The Ozone made my water crystal clear over night on first use keeping ORP targeting at 375 ppm. This definitely took care of my Cyanobacteria problem for sure.

I still noticed my Phosphates still rising to 0.1 ppm so I had to throw my GFO/GAC reactor back on to bring it back down to 0.00 ppm as of last measurement on 9/22/14.

With a 300 gallon system I guess I should go for the full 1000 ml of pellets so I am soaking the remaining 1/3 of the pellets in attempt to see if it will allow me to turn off the GFO/GAC reactor which I run only 6 hours/day to avoid shocking the system and causing RTN.

Hopefully it will still tumble properly in my JNS Biopellet reactor since it's supposed to hold 1.3 L.

Cross my fingers on adding a full Liter of the AIO to the system.

Ellery

Running for 1 month so far with only 500ml of AIO. Noticed PO4 is rising back up from 0.00 ppm on 7/8. Needed to turn GFO/GAC reactor back on to see if I can get PO4 back to less than 0.03ppm
Having similar scenario to twatkins521 it seems. Received a note from someone that resolved all their Biopellet cyano issues by running Ozone into their skimmer. May need to investigate that after this test. Adding Nualgi and Microbacter 7 dosing hasn't helped compete with Cyano thus far.

History: Been running ~2L of BRS Biopellets since 11/2011 but have been battling Cyano on and off. Was hoping not to need GFO and GAC running continuously.

Start Date: 6/16/14
System Volume: 300 gallons if SPS and LPS (125+90+40+10gal Refugium+MegaFlow4 Sump)
AIO: 500 mL in a JNS2 Reactor w/ output near Skimz SK201 Skimmer input
Elapse time: ~1 month

Starting Parameters:
Alk = 152 ppm
Ca = 600 ppm
Mg = 1320 ppm
PO4 = 0.03 ppm

Log:
6/16/14 - Started with 500 ml of AIO and keeping my BRS Reactor full of 1L to prevent a drastic change.
6/21/14 - Added 1 cup GFP/GAC into mesh bag and placed in sump due to increased Cyano noticed.
6/24/14 - Added Turboflotor 1000 Multi-Skimmer back on system
6/29/14 - Chalices /Acans not looking good
6/30/14 - Removed remainder of BRS biopellets from Dual BRS Reactor and replaced with additional GFO in Chamber 1 and filled Chaber 2 with GFO/GAC from mesh sock in sump.
7/7/14 - Observed RTN on M.Spongodes - Shut-Off BRS dual Reactor, Performed 2 water change cycles.
7/8/14 - Parameter Check: Alk=152,Ca=600, Mg=1560, PO4=0.00 <--Overstripped
7/11/14 - M.Spongodes looks better!
7/14/14 - Parameter Check: Alk=217, Ca=571, Mg=1500, PO4 = 0.07 <-Turn on GFO/GAC reactor and run for 1 day only to avoid RTN.

watsonj
09/26/2014, 08:21 PM
Well it's about 4 months since I started AIO biopellets at 500 ml but slowly increased to 660 ml. I still had cyano lingering so I broke down and purchased an Ozotech Ozone Generator & drier.

Ellery

What are your nitrates reading?

uwiik
09/27/2014, 07:31 AM
I am running 8L AIO pellets inside my reef octopus reactor for my 8000L SPS system, the pellets definitely tumbles like crazy and I am on 2 weeks now...No3 still stays at 10 and Po4 at 0.1....When I was still dosing vodka my No3 and Po4 were definitely lower...My friend with awesome tank swears by the normal biopellets, but my experience with AIO is definitely not good so far.... Should I ditch my AIO and use normal biopellets or just forget the idea of Biopellets altogether and go back to vodka?

chercm
09/27/2014, 07:41 AM
was wondering does it really works ?

watsonj
09/27/2014, 07:58 AM
I am into 4 weeks with my restart and I have been dosing NO3 Po4-X as well nitrates are 2 ppm and phosphates .006 not running any other phosphate removers.

The pellets are no longer shearing GFO type powder material in the sock but there is bacterial film growing I assume the NO3 PO4-x doings its thing. I am going to wean off the NO3 PO4-X over the next few weeks and see where it all goes.
The pellets have required more flow to keep tumbling as a bio film builds, so at this point I am cautiously optimistic that everything is going to work well.

AquariumSpecialty
09/27/2014, 09:19 AM
I am running 8L AIO pellets inside my reef octopus reactor for my 8000L SPS system, the pellets definitely tumbles like crazy and I am on 2 weeks now...No3 still stays at 10 and Po4 at 0.1....When I was still dosing vodka my No3 and Po4 were definitely lower...My friend with awesome tank swears by the normal biopellets, but my experience with AIO is definitely not good so far.... Should I ditch my AIO and use normal biopellets or just forget the idea of Biopellets altogether and go back to vodka?

You've only been running AIO for 2 weeks. Think about it and read the directions please. This takes time and you have a large setup. This is not an instant gratification product and most probiotic products aren't. Besides, rapid shifts in water quality, good or bad, often result in short term negative results.

Ellery
09/28/2014, 11:41 AM
Watsonj I just measured my nitrates and they read 0ppm.

I'll add the remaining AIO pellets today and see what happens. Unfortunately I'll be out of town for a week so I hope nothing funky happens.

saltyair
09/29/2014, 04:58 AM
Just thought I would update @ the 3 month mark.
I started with 1000ml (since I was vinegar dosing) and running gfo.
my no3 is less than 5 and po4 is @ .04 ( testing done before wc)
I have been feeding heavy and dosing aqua amino acids
right now I have to say they are the real deal - I have not run gfo in three months.

I will be topping up on the weekend - and seeing if I can slow down flow (800 gph) to make them more efficient.
Still getting a lot of mud in my skimmer

uwiik
09/30/2014, 06:20 AM
You've only been running AIO for 2 weeks. Think about it and read the directions please. This takes time and you have a large setup. This is not an instant gratification product and most probiotic products aren't. Besides, rapid shifts in water quality, good or bad, often result in short term negative results.

Yes I know that 2 weeks is too short to judge, but my friend with normal biopellet said that in his thank he start to see drop in no3 and po4 after 2 weeks and continue from there. The package does not indicate the time frame before I can expect to see some change. I am still running it non stop and testing every week to see if there is any change...

Btw my friend advised me to give it a boost by dosing prodibio bio digest, should I try?

uwiik
09/30/2014, 06:21 AM

Yes I know that 2 weeks is too short to judge, but my friend with normal biopellet said that in his thank he start to see drop in no3 and po4 after 2 weeks and continue from there. The package does not indicate the time frame before I can expect to see some change. I am still running it non stop and testing every week to see if there is any change...

When I try to hold my pellets with hand it was definitely super slimy, good indicator??

Btw my friend advised me to give it a boost by dosing prodibio bio digest, should I try?

uwiik
09/30/2014, 06:24 AM
Just thought I would update @ the 3 month mark.
I started with 1000ml (since I was vinegar dosing) and running gfo.
my no3 is less than 5 and po4 is @ .04 ( testing done before wc)
I have been feeding heavy and dosing aqua amino acids
right now I have to say they are the real deal - I have not run gfo in three months.

I will be topping up on the weekend - and seeing if I can slow down flow (800 gph) to make them more efficient.
Still getting a lot of mud in my skimmer

Not trying to hijack the thread but I am in dire need of this information, aqua amino acid?? What brand is that?? Aquavitro by seachem??

saltyair
09/30/2014, 08:22 PM
Not trying to hijack the thread but I am in dire need of this information, aqua amino acid?? What brand is that?? Aquavitro by seachem??

I use aquavitro amino acids works like a charm just use 1/2 dose tho and use it during the day

Justincasha
10/06/2014, 08:26 PM
Any good results achieved with these bio pellets? Any good feedback? As here many stated that these pellets haven't reduced phosphates and some even said the pups parameter rose higher with them.
Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks

uwiik
10/06/2014, 08:57 PM
That is what we are trying to conclude here. Still too early to tell. The normal biopellet is proven I think, now we are contesting the AIO

watsonj
10/07/2014, 08:50 PM
Update: my Phosphates are never above 0.01 and nitrates are sitting @ 1-2ppm. Corals have never looked better and growth is taking off. I am very happy with the product right now.

ttanadi
10/10/2014, 12:49 AM
Watsonj, what kind of reactor are you using with the AIO?

watsonj
10/10/2014, 05:07 AM
Aqualund, I worked with Steve Lund on the spec just for the AIO pellets I had been frustrated in my first attempt with a Reef Octopus BR-140. and wanted lots of HP available to churn the pellets and the ability to hold 4 ltrs of pellets if I had to. It turned out great and the price was even better, he also gives awesome customer support.

chercm
10/10/2014, 10:07 PM
have any one tried to use jns alpha 2 with this ?

chercm
10/10/2014, 11:25 PM
here the reactor with the all in one

is it too fast or the alpha 2 is not suitable for this ?

ttanadi
10/11/2014, 05:46 AM
Thanks for sharing. It will save time and headache so i will go straight to steven lund.

AquariumSpecialty
10/11/2014, 05:53 AM
Thanks for sharing. It will save time and headache so i will go straight to steven lund.

Steve Lund? Do mean Steve Lutz? If so then you are referring to Triton Aquatics. We are a distributor for them and we have most of their reactors in stock with same business day shipping. His reactors are very good!

Thanks,

saltyair
10/14/2014, 04:49 AM
I am very impressed with this product. No3 @ less than 5 just checked po4 .02.

I just did my first top up this weekend.
I will be removing my refug this month - can't keep the cheto alive

QUOTE=Justincasha;23156387]Any good results achieved with these bio pellets? Any good feedback? As here many stated that these pellets haven't reduced phosphates and some even said the pups parameter rose higher with them.
Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks[/QUOTE]

pk-sd
10/18/2014, 09:53 PM
Can I add these to the reactor already running NPX pellets? Or Do I need to dump out the original NPX stuff out first and start fresh?

tdb320reef
10/18/2014, 10:47 PM
Even though I am taking down my 320 SPS tank I fired up my recirculating BP reactor with 1000 ML ALL in One to see how well they worked for a future build.

about 12 hours in the water is noticeably clearer. I am not running GFO, Carbon, filter sock or another type of filtration. At this point just All in one and SRO 5000 skimmer.

Nitrates are usually 2
and Po4 .1 or less

In the past I have had better success with BP's and growth but the color was lacking. I am going to run these and dose No3 when needed as a test.

fener103
10/20/2014, 11:27 AM
I have a 120 gallon mixed reef that is currently running 500ml of AIO in a BR140 Reactor. The pellets have been online for about 6 weeks. Two weeks ago I noticed a heavy film on the screen so I removed it and cleaned it out. Since then I have noticed quite a build up of algae on my sand bed that I did not have prior to that event. Is this a coincidence or did I do something wrong by cleaning the screen off? Any help would be appreciated.

AquariumSpecialty
10/20/2014, 02:48 PM
I have a 120 gallon mixed reef that is currently running 500ml of AIO in a BR140 Reactor. The pellets have been online for about 6 weeks. Two weeks ago I noticed a heavy film on the screen so I removed it and cleaned it out. Since then I have noticed quite a build up of algae on my sand bed that I did not have prior to that event. Is this a coincidence or did I do something wrong by cleaning the screen off? Any help would be appreciated.

What were you PO4 and NO3 levels before you started and what are they at now? This product wouldn't cause algae as it reduces NO3 and PO4 in an aquarium. Are you sure it's algae you are looking at?

AquariumSpecialty
10/20/2014, 02:49 PM
I am very impressed with this product. No3 @ less than 5 just checked po4 .02.

I just did my first top up this weekend.
I will be removing my refug this month - can't keep the cheto alive

QUOTE=Justincasha;23156387]Any good results achieved with these bio pellets? Any good feedback? As here many stated that these pellets haven't reduced phosphates and some even said the pups parameter rose higher with them.
Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks[/QUOTE]

Nice feedback! Thank you for sharing.

AquariumSpecialty
10/20/2014, 02:52 PM
Can I add these to the reactor already running NPX pellets? Or Do I need to dump out the original NPX stuff out first and start fresh?

That should be Ok to mix the 2 together for a while. I don't see any harm with that unless the flow rate causes an issue as All-In-One requires a little more flow. Here's a link to a simple little video I did with my cell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuNIvdeWjjw&list=UUqrYDlnTEVtLAm7d3M_jHoA

fener103
10/20/2014, 03:04 PM
NO3 was less than 5ppm with Salifert before and zero after
PO4 was .04 before and .02 currently using HANNA
. I think they are doing what they are supposed to but after I initially started using them them my glass became much cleaner as well as my sand. My concern was if by cleaning my screen completely of the mulmy buildup, if I had somehow set myself back because since I have done so my build up on the glass and sand have gotten back to their old ways. I am only using 500ML in the reactor perhaps I should step it up? I was in no way shape or form saying that they were producing algae in my tank.

chercm
10/21/2014, 04:10 AM
ever since starting to run the AIO , my skimmer does not have any foam

any idea ?

http://vid2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/chercm/IMG_1905.mp4

watsonj
10/21/2014, 04:14 AM
Steve Lund? Do mean Steve Lutz? If so then you are referring to Triton Aquatics. We are a distributor for them and we have most of their reactors in stock with same business day shipping. His reactors are very good!

Thanks,

I was referring to Steve Lund @ Aqualund

saltyair
10/21/2014, 04:44 AM
Just add them - be sure tk soak them first

saltyair
10/21/2014, 04:50 AM
Is the reactor return close to your skimmer intake?

ever since starting to run the AIO , my skimmer does not have any foam

any idea ?

http://vid2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/chercm/IMG_1905.mp4

chercm
10/22/2014, 07:14 AM
i am using microbacter 7 to see the pellets , can some one advice should i use the high nutrients instructions and how often should i dose ?

chercm
10/22/2014, 07:15 AM
Is the reactor return close to your skimmer intake?

yes it is

saltyair
10/22/2014, 07:38 AM
yes it is

My skimmer has been pulling dark stinky sludg - I have to clean it weekly

chercm
10/22/2014, 07:39 AM
My skimmer has been pulling dark stinky sludg - I have to clean it weekly

Not for mine