PDA

View Full Version : Input needed

rgnbull1227
05/14/2014, 12:48 PM
Going away for a week. I have a pet sitter coming to feed and monitor the tank. All of the fish will eat pellet with the exception of my Cardinal. He loves Frozen Mysid Shrimp. Instead of having the girl need to defrost and rinse the cubes of mysid, is there another solution(maybe live food but would need to stay in fridge for a week) that I can supply her with to make sure the Cardinal gets fed?
Thanks.

Reef Frog
05/14/2014, 04:00 PM
Is the sitter experienced with aquaria? If so or if she's being paid, I would just have her feed the way you do. You could make it easy(er) by using a kitchen strainer, a clamshell tea strainer etc if you are not already doing so.

In the case of an inexperienced friend who perhaps thinks the shrimp are icky, you could pre rinse the portions & refreeze them in small jars. A shot of tank water with the turkey baster and she is ready to go.

Also wanted to say a more descriptive title will get you more answers to your question.

Crusinjimbo
05/15/2014, 03:25 AM
Just have the sitter throw the cube in the tank. A couple of cubes in a week's time shouldn't be that disruptive of your balance.

screamingibis
05/15/2014, 05:18 AM
rinsing the mysis, IMO, is a waste of time. I believe there's articles out there about the need to rinse frozen.

Crooked Reef
05/15/2014, 07:55 AM
I would just get some individual little Rubbermaid containers and separate some frozen into them for her to feed. She doesn't have to worry about portion control then and like crusinjimbo said, a few cubes in one week will not affect your water negatively unless you have a really small tank. I have a 65 and feed mysis or cyclopeeze every other day and don't even rinse it. The corals tans filter feeders take in the juice. If you overseed it can be a problem but a couple of times for a week won't even be a blip on the radar.

Cu455
05/15/2014, 07:59 AM
Black worms or brine shrimp. I will just have here throw a cube in.

scubadan206
05/15/2014, 09:10 AM
Hey! Tell her not to freak out when the glass starts to grow algae. My sitter sent me an emergency message about cloudy, green, water. :deadhorse1:

SuspectDevice87
05/15/2014, 03:25 PM
Ha! That's too good. Sounds like something a girl I worked with in a ski cafeteria a long time ago would say. She thought you could burn water.