PDA

View Full Version : Diy ozone reactor

jbb
05/14/2014, 07:51 PM
Has anybody ever attempted it???

Debating trying to convert a Phos reactor.

Any ideas appreciated.

john08007
05/14/2014, 09:38 PM
I'm sure there would someone using a reactor for ozone, just a few things to keep in mind. I think I read someplace that ozone can damage certain materials, not sure how plastic holds up or if you need a specific material. Also, I know I have read that if you are leaking ozone into the environment that it can cause a weird feeling in your teeth and causes depression. I would suggest you do your research and make sure everything is safe.

rwb500
05/14/2014, 09:41 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2072071&highlight=ozone+reactor

there are lots of other search results too

jbb
05/15/2014, 10:31 AM
not to sure if the plastic is ozone safe but the unit didn't cost me much so it might be worth a go. I have also read to much in the air can have weird effects. have tooth ache quite a bit and I get down a lot , So I should be good to go . lol

jbb
05/15/2014, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the link on the reactor that look's a good way to go..

panagiotisath
05/15/2014, 10:36 AM
Plastic and tubing must be ozon compatible.I do not know about the teeth but i know that the environment where is going to be must be very well aerated cause free ozon concentrates and water that is treated with ozon must pass threw carbon before entering the tank.

jbb
05/15/2014, 10:44 AM
yeh . I always run carbon on the way back to the tank anyway. cheers

Pseudo69
05/15/2014, 10:56 AM
Ozone can be dangerous to your health and your inhabitants if used incorrectly. Initial setup of ozone can be costly but costs almost nothing to run. The benefits can be great. I love mine but I set it up right the first time. I bought the Red Sea ozonizer deluxe for $200, Reactor custom made from Geo's Reef with carbon air filter with pressure gauge and used my existing carbon reactor. You also need a desiccant chamber to dry the air before entering the ozonizer. Everything should be ozone resistant or it will crack or be destroyed. This includes nipples and tubing.

There are a few people posting full setups for sale or you can piece it out. If you mess up a DIY you can cause more problems than if you did it right the first time. Avast makes a nice setup too.

jbb
05/15/2014, 02:31 PM
that Avast looks an all right bit of kit.

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/15/2014, 05:38 PM
I describe a DIY ozone reactor here (second article). FWIW, I no longer choose to use ozone, primarily out of concern for HLLE-like impacts on my yellow tangs.

Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 1: Chemistry and Biochemistry
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-03/rhf/index.php

Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 2: Equipment and Safety
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-04/rhf/index.php

Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 3: Changes in a Reef Aquarium upon Initiating Ozone
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-05/rhf/index.php

Lagoon monkey
05/16/2014, 12:44 AM
I'm sure there would someone using a reactor for ozone, just a few things to keep in mind. I think I read someplace that ozone can damage certain materials, not sure how plastic holds up or if you need a specific material. Also, I know I have read that if you are leaking ozone into the environment that it can cause a weird feeling in your teeth and causes depression. I would suggest you do your research and make sure everything is safe.

Ozone is only harmful to humans in very high concentrations. there is ozone in the atmosphere naturally so you are always breathing it in. Even when you can smell ozone which means it is super concentrated (smells kind of fresh), that still is not normally enough to cause any immediate or latent effects on human health. I used to sell ozone producing machines that produces ozone in quantities to fill a house to deodorize it and even at those levels there is no or little risk to health. I never had teeth or depression issues. All ozone is is O3, O2 is oxygen, and O3 is caused when ultraviolet light passes through 2 oxygen molecules, it will supercharge the oxygen giving it a third hydrogen atom. O3 (ozone) is very unstable and will naturally dissipate back to O2 very quickly. I don't know the half time on O3 but it is very short. O3 will naturally turn back to O2 or will change back when the extra hydrogen atom oxidizes any free radicals like ammonia and single cell bacteria. Any aquarium device producing ozone is doing it in such small volumes there should be no concern to health of humans. Tank mates may be another problem as mentioned by Randy and I have no experience with that. But all in all, I would not be concerned about ozone unless you can smell it constantly and most people don't even know what it smells like.

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/16/2014, 04:10 AM
Ozone is only harmful to humans in very high concentrations.

That, of course, depends on what you mean by "very high" concentrations, but levels of 0.3 ppm are harmful.

I discuss the literature on human health effects in the second article above.

jbb
05/16/2014, 08:42 AM
wow randy
I had to go and get a coffee to read all that, good write up a lot to think about.

jbb
05/16/2014, 08:56 AM
thanks for the info lagoon

Paul B
05/16/2014, 09:43 AM
I have been using ozone 24/7 for about 35 years or so in the same tank. No carbon, and I have the thing always full up at 200mg/hr. I don't even use the controller as that is for Sissies.
My nose or ears have never been burnt off, (But I have no hair, go figure) virtually all my paired fish are spawning, the corals, SPS and LPS are growing up the walls, my neighbors don't complain. I change very little water.
I use it in a large DIY skimmer that also never corroded but you do have to use ozone rated tubing on the output as vinyl tubing will be history in a couple of weeks. Ozone does not affect acrylic or PVC as that is what my skimmer is made from. Ozone smells good but resist putting the tube up your nose as that may not have a good result and most people frown on doing that. :confused:
I know there are a lot of rumors around but this is not toxic waste and we are not talking about a nuclear reactor sized ozonator. :fun5:
Randy has more degrees than a thermometer so he knows much more than I do about the chemistry of the thing as I am just a lug nut with a high school education and a Vocational school at that. But I am older and probably better looking. More importantly, I have hermit crabs older than him. :wave:

jbb
05/16/2014, 09:57 AM
hi paul
( ozone and the urban myths ) lol
I think I had hair when I started marine keeping :strange:

Paul B
05/16/2014, 10:00 AM
I think I had hair when I started marine keeping

I know I did, and I have proof (I can't see the ozone generator in that picture, but I built my ozonator then from a huge neon transformer)
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh270/urchsearch/Oldtankandme.jpg (http://s258.photobucket.com/user/urchsearch/media/Oldtankandme.jpg.html)

( ozone and the urban myths ) lol

This hobby is all myths, if it were not for myths, there would be nothing to write about. Like you can't use a undergravel filter in salt water.
OK, now I am going to feed my fish garlic and buy cleaner shrimp to cure some ich and wave chicken bones over my tank while dosing magnesium to kill hair algae. :D

jbb
05/16/2014, 11:01 AM
:lolspin:

nice one

SoFloReefer
05/17/2014, 06:07 AM
I just realized that I had hair when I started my reef and now I don't. It just started falling out a few years later. Time to call the hair club for men.

jbb
05/17/2014, 07:46 AM
lol
or is it the fact that I takes so long to get a reef tank just how you want it.

john08007
05/18/2014, 09:13 PM
curious, how does the ozone maker work, I know it somehow uses high voltage but that is the extent of my knowledge.

Paul B
05/19/2014, 04:32 AM
You pass high voltage electricity through a chamber and pump air through it. The spark splits the air and makes Ozone.

john08007
05/20/2014, 10:17 PM
I thought it was sonething along those lines, so its basically a small stun gun inside a sealed chamber with a small air pump pumping air into the chamber. I would think it would be pretty easy to diy one.

Paul B
05/21/2014, 06:13 AM
Thats it so if you have a stun gun you can make one.

madadi
05/21/2014, 07:12 AM
does it really have to be that high electricity? what is some usual voltage required? and what if you build it out of a material that can withstand our high moisture environment. Like a small titanium rod. maybe you don't need to use an air drier

Paul B
05/21/2014, 07:16 AM
I built it in an acrylic tube and used a very big, expensive neon transformer that put out 20,000 volts but that is not needed as hobbiest units use very little power. I am not sure how high the voltage has to be as I never tested the output of my unit and don't even know how to do that.

john08007
05/21/2014, 10:28 PM
From what I understand its not going to be anywhere water, I believe in order to get the spark to "jump" from one electrode to the other you are going to need a pretty high voltage, the amps will be low.

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/22/2014, 05:14 AM
I discuss the electrical discharge method of creating ozone here:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-04/rhf/index.php#5

It also explains how you get nitric acid in the gas flow if the air has substantial moisture in it.

Joel_155
05/22/2014, 11:01 AM
I have been using ozone 24/7 for about 35 years or so in the same tank. No carbon, and I have the thing always full up at 200mg/hr. I don't even use the controller as that is for Sissies.
My nose or ears have never been burnt off, (But I have no hair, go figure) virtually all my paired fish are spawning, the corals, SPS and LPS are growing up the walls, my neighbors don't complain. I change very little water.
I use it in a large DIY skimmer that also never corroded but you do have to use ozone rated tubing on the output as vinyl tubing will be history in a couple of weeks. Ozone does not affect acrylic or PVC as that is what my skimmer is made from. Ozone smells good but resist putting the tube up your nose as that may not have a good result and most people frown on doing that. :confused:
I know there are a lot of rumors around but this is not toxic waste and we are not talking about a nuclear reactor sized ozonator. :fun5:
Randy has more degrees than a thermometer so he knows much more than I do about the chemistry of the thing as I am just a lug nut with a high school education and a Vocational school at that. But I am older and probably better looking. More importantly, I have hermit crabs older than him. :wave:

Paul your posts always make me laugh!

Paul B
05/22/2014, 11:18 AM
Paul your posts always make me laugh!

There is no room in this serious hobby for laughter. Only crying and banging of fists is allowed. :wildone: