PDA

View Full Version : Drilling for closed loop - 225 gallon 5x3x2

dcmartinpc
05/15/2014, 01:04 PM
I am going to be setting up a 225 Gallon Miracles 5x3x2 (60x36x24). I plan on drilling for a closed loop as part of my flow plan. The tank is made entirely with 1/2" glass, starfire on the front panel.

Other than the 2 holes in the bottom of the overflow, the aquarium has 3 other holes already drilled for 3/4" bulkheads in the back of the tank. I will be enlarging 2 of those holes and putting a valve on the 3rd to keep for possible future use, maybe a drain...

The following diagram lays out my drilling plan.

Orange (Return) - Existing 3/4" bulkhead holes that will be enlarged.
Gray - New holes for Closed Loop.
Blue - Existing 3/4" bulkhead hole to be closed with a valve.

http://the-martins.smugmug.com/Aquariums/220-Aquarium-Build/i-mnNQfdp/0/L/220%20Aquarium%20Drilling%20Back%20-%20Final-L.jpg (http://the-martins.smugmug.com/Aquariums/220-Aquarium-Build/i-mnNQfdp/A)

Any thoughts on the drilling plan are appreciated. Am I far enough away from all edges? Are each of the holes far enough away from each other to maintain tank integrity? Should I forget enlarging the 2 holes for the return and just drill a hole on the back center of the overflow and bring the return in there?

I will be running all Schedule 80 HD Bulkheads.

If I keep the orange holes, I know they are a little low and I would be using a pair of 90s to get the water closer to the surface to prevent too much drain back into the sump.

ca1ore
05/15/2014, 03:54 PM
Personally I would never drill a hole in my tank that was open to the tank volume in any place other than near the top rim. I had a large tank once with a CL return in the bottom of the tank and on two occasions I had leaking problems that would have drained the tank if I had not been home to notice. Even CL holes near the top will make a mess in the event of some kind of plumbing leak, but at least they won't drain the tank.

dcmartinpc
05/15/2014, 04:07 PM
I am pretty comfortable with it personally. I use schedule 80 HD bulkheads and I have never had a leak. Knock on wood!!! I have a 60 cube with 7 holes in it, including 2 on the bottom with zero issues.

Anyone have any opinions on the hole layout?

Don

Rognin
05/16/2014, 09:30 AM
If you're buying a miracles, Derek really knows his stuff. I'd ask him if you're holes are ok. I got a 57x20x30 custom tank they made me in 3/4 starphire glass and it's beautiful!

dcmartinpc
05/16/2014, 09:44 AM
That is a great idea! I just spoke with someone on the phone there and found that Derek is out until Tuesday, but said that he would be glad to review it for me if I emailed it over! I likely won't be drilling it for another couple weeks, so that should be perfect.

Thanks!

Don