PDA

View Full Version : Twin 29 biocubes

bj32482
05/16/2014, 08:09 AM
Hello everyone,
I was in the hobby a few years ago with a 240g. Due to life I had to get out for a while. I teach middle school science and have just purchased two 29 gallon biocubes with the protein skimmers. The tanks will be in classrooms and used for teaching. I want to set up the tanks with tank raised specimens...coral frags and captive bred fish. So my question is what should I go with? One tank will be a pair of clowns and maybe one other small fish. In the other I am thinking about a dotty back. Suggestions?

Amoore311
05/16/2014, 08:13 AM
I'd keep the corals/fish as hearty and simple as possible. Clowns, Dottyback, Blenny, and maybe an Assessor. Coral wise stick to all soft corals that grow nicely and are hearty specimens.

Is the school classroom air conditioned on the weekends? If not, you are definitely going to have temperature problems.

bj32482
05/16/2014, 08:29 AM
Yeah, it's a steady temperature. What mix would you do with fish? Dotty back with a blenny? Coral wise I am keeping it simple zoos and maybe a toadstool leather.

TigeBell
05/16/2014, 08:36 AM
The lights will not provide you more then low to medium level strength. If you are planning to do SPS's, the lights will need to be changed out for something more powerful.

I had a biocube 29G going for 2.5 years. They are nice and easy starter tanks that keep things easy to manage. Good luck.

Art13
05/16/2014, 08:37 AM
i would go with a royal gramma instead of a dotty back, less aggressive and a nice yellow and purple contrast.

bj32482
05/16/2014, 08:41 AM
Any idea where to get tank raised fish? Live aquaria seems to have several, but I don't see grammas. I agree with the ease of use with the biocubes...I am trying to keep things simple and self contained. I have done the upgrade thing from a 20 gal slowly to the 240gal. I am trying to keep it under control.

Art13
05/16/2014, 08:49 AM
i can't be positive if there are any tank raised grammas, but cardinals might be an option, i've seen many of them tank raised.

Amoore311
05/16/2014, 09:26 AM
Any idea where to get tank raised fish? Live aquaria seems to have several, but I don't see grammas. I agree with the ease of use with the biocubes...I am trying to keep things simple and self contained. I have done the upgrade thing from a 20 gal slowly to the 240gal. I am trying to keep it under control.

Any local fish store that is an ORA Vendor. Liveaquaria and Saltwaterfish.com do ORA as well.

Gramma being less aggressive than a dottyback? I find that hard to believe. They are both more aggressive fish, but this is a 30 gallon tank with like 2-3 fish in it. The fish will have plenty of space.

Put the clowns with the dottyback in one tank. Then do the blennies with maybe a a pair of Tank Bred Cardinals. The clowns and the dottyback will be able to hold their own with each other. The blenny and cardinals being more passive would mix well in the second tank.

bj32482
05/16/2014, 09:58 AM
Any suggestions on clown types with the dottyback? I am considering percula clowns in 9 me and something more unique with the dottyback.