PDA

View Full Version : Spectrapure Dual Media Reactor question

firemountain
05/16/2014, 10:58 AM
I am in the process of getting ready to cycle my tank with the BRS Reef keeper rock. In terms of utilizing the Spectrapure dual media reactor....is it necessary to run the GFO and Carbon during this time?

Also...what are the popular brands of GFO and Carbon to run. I have been hearing about the Rowaphos and the BRS ROX? Any thoughts??

My intention is to leave the lights off to avoid any algae blooms during this time. At what point does the GFO and Carbon become critical....once fish are introduced or when SPS and LPS are introduced.

Since this will be my first reef tank, I am looking for some guidance. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reefvet
05/16/2014, 12:17 PM
Using the reactor now can slow the cycle because the carbon will adsorb organics. You want ammonia to feed nitrites and subsequently nitrates. Anything you remove that could contribute to that process is counterproductive.

And you really want to actually measure phosphates before running any GFO.

Reefvet
05/16/2014, 12:21 PM
I have been hearing about the Rowaphos and the BRS ROX? Any thoughts??

Rowa was one of the first companies to introduce GFO. It's a good product. You may find another brander that's cheaper. Ask your LFS what they use and sell.

ROX is a super high grade carbon made by a company that produces carbon for the medical and water treatment use. It's great stuff but it may be more than you need. Again, check with your LFS.

At what point does the GFO and Carbon become critical....once fish are introduced or when SPS and LPS are introduced.

You start using them when your water tests show you need to. That might be when your cycle is finished and the rock is leaching phophates. Or that may not happen. Carbon you'll want to use when you add your first fish.

firemountain
05/17/2014, 05:55 AM
Thanks Reefvet!! I had bought the Hanna ultra low phosphate checker, so yes...I will monitor the level once I get water in the tank. I kinda figured the GFO would come later on, but wasn't sure when. I know increased phosphate levels will promote algae blooms, so that was part of the reason for buying the dual reactor.