PDA

View Full Version : Drilled 125 Gallon Tank Possible Cracks

Elbandito78
05/17/2014, 12:41 AM
Hi All,

Long time lurker first time poster. I've read all about the benefits of an overflow and decided to drill my 125 gallon. The first two holes looked great but the third looks like it has the slightest of cracks. It doesn't appear to be deep at all. In fact it's extremely shallow. I'm wondering if I'm ok, if I could buff the crack out or if I should just throw this tank out and chalk it up to inexperience. I'm attaching a couple of pics for advice. They are taken from the outside looking in. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Elbandito78
05/17/2014, 12:44 AM
Another pic.

SoFloReefer
05/17/2014, 05:43 AM
Where in the tank did you drill it and what are the tank dimensions? As you can imagine, stresses are not uniform throughout a tank.

Mrramsey
05/17/2014, 07:21 AM
I'd be concerned more so if it is the bottom glass but if it it at the top of the back glass like for a beananimal overflow it is probably ok. More info please.

uncleof6
05/17/2014, 12:09 PM
That is a fairly large chip, and although the chip may not be an issue, the microscopic stress fractures due to the chipping force very well could be. Moreso than that, are the two runners (cracks) that I am seeing (hallucination maybe?) Those are of much concern. Pressure on the glass (whether bottom or top of tank), and temperature variations, will cause those runners to run, and eventually take out the glass panel. Stress fractures will behave in the same manner. There is no repair for either.

Elbandito78
05/17/2014, 12:19 PM
The tank dimensions are 72x18.5x22. I drilled at the top in order to install a bean animal overflow. I will attach another picture. Uncle, I only see the one small crack. In the second pic with the razor it looks like there are two coming from the bottoms of the pic. I think that is the light playing off the chip, which is pretty good size. So, should I chalk this up to a pricey learning experience and set this out for the garbage man?

SoFloReefer
05/17/2014, 01:30 PM
Its a tough call. If the tank fails it will be at thoae cracks like Uncleof6 said. A repair might consist of putting acrylic on either side with silicone. You need to drill slowly and use water so it doesnt heat up at all. I took 10 minutes to drill my first hole.

Bent
05/17/2014, 02:52 PM
I think it will be fine. BUT.

I would get a piece of acrylic and cover the holes and silicone around the cracks, then drill through the acrylic strip. Just to brace it.

But I'd guess it's probably ok.

uncleof6
05/17/2014, 05:29 PM
OP: One crack, or two, same result. Top reasons for catastrophic tank failure are: deep scratches, large chips, and cracks.

Folks, acrylic will not bond to the glass with silicone or any other substance that could be considered a structurally safe bond. And even if it were possible, the crack would run right past the patch and the tank will self destruct. Complete waste of time. A glass patch would be a waste of time as well. Laminated glass is only as good as the weakest part of the sandwich. (silicone is a flexible seam.)

The decision is, since it is unrepairable: Trash it, or replace the back panel, turn it into a reptile tank...Or, take your chances with physics and murphy's law.

Elbandito78
05/17/2014, 10:56 PM
Thank you for the replies everyone. I really appreciate it. Uncle, that's what I was afraid of. You're right about Murphy's Law.

So anyone have any suggestions where to buy an aquarium? Glass cages.com looks like a good place. And they will drill it for you. I don't necessarily want to buy new but now I'm a little gun shy about drilling another tank. I thought I had taken my time with this one, as well as kept it cool. The glass is a little over 1/4" and it took me a little over 20 minutes to drill the holes. Should it have taken longer? The other two holes look a little better. Maybe I rushed it a little on this as it was last.

Mrramsey
05/18/2014, 04:35 AM
While I agree with uncle the second photo is the one in question. Can you post a better one of the entire hole? I can't discern what the artifacts are at the bottom for certain. Some of those look like scratches.

Elbandito78
05/18/2014, 10:20 AM
Here you go. Let me know what you think. Thanks! My original thought was that since it would be in the overflow the pressure wouldn't be too bad. I didn't think about temp fluctuations taking their toll over time.

ca1ore
05/18/2014, 03:00 PM
I don't see anything that looks like a crack frankly. A couple of scratches and a chip or two which could be problematic (versus a crack that will be problematic); if it were mine I'd be inclined to fill it in the garage and just make sure it holds. Doesn't mean it won't fail down the road of course .....

Elbandito78
05/18/2014, 03:24 PM
It is super shallow so it could be a scratch. I compared it to another scratch in the glass and it looks about the same. The one I was concerned about just comes off the hole so I immediately assumed the worst. Maybe I will see if I can find someone locally who can come give me a second opinion (maybe in exchange for a 6pk).

Mrramsey
05/18/2014, 04:26 PM
I guess my first post didn't go through. It mostly looks like small chips to me. I would take it outside put the bulkheads in, plug them and fill it with water up to the rim. I would also tap on the back with my fist after it was full like something bumping into the tank. If it was going to crack I suspect that would do it. At least that's what I'd do before making a decision to continue or trash it.

Same principal as a chip in a car windshield.

M_Jaco
05/18/2014, 08:20 PM
you could always drill out a larger hole if you're worried... honestly thats what I would do

ReeferBill
05/18/2014, 08:32 PM
Try a larger hole or if you put stress on the hole to see if the crack will run right to the other edge you will have to replace the panel!

Elbandito78
05/18/2014, 10:39 PM
Thanks for all the advice everyone. Looks like I will try and give it the ol' stress test and see if anything changes.

asudavew
05/18/2014, 11:01 PM
I bought a brand new 125 Marineland in San Antonio for $299.

I can give you more specifics if needed.

Dave

Elbandito78
05/19/2014, 03:57 PM
That sounds like a good deal! Does the place ship?

S14Swap240sx
05/20/2014, 09:17 AM
Fill it, and give it a test.

Maybe ask glass holes their opinion on the matter? they are in the business of making holes in glass and im sure some of their customers experienced similar outcome.

flyhigh123
05/20/2014, 12:18 PM
when i drill, i like to put tape on the back... also, try to drill as evenly as possibly. take it slow, and lots of water... when the drill is almost through the glass, dont put too much pressure on it... let the bit cut its way through and that will help avoid minor chipping.

coverdog
05/20/2014, 06:13 PM
Try a larger hole or if you put stress on the hole to see if the crack will run right to the other edge you will have to replace the panel!

Best answer yet. Then go with bigger bulkheads.

Elbandito78
05/20/2014, 10:13 PM
Fill it, and give it a test.

Maybe ask glass holes their opinion on the matter? they are in the business of making holes in glass and im sure some of their customers experienced similar outcome.

That's a good idea. Thank you!

Elbandito78
05/20/2014, 10:14 PM
Best answer yet. Then go with bigger bulkheads.

I was thinking about this. Thanks!