PDA

View Full Version : Electrolyte question

tkdgurl99
05/17/2014, 05:22 PM
I am hoping someone here may be able to anwser this: I work in the medical world and when we look at Magnesium/Calcium and Phosphorus the general rule of thumb is mag and phos are inversley related (ie if one is higher the other is lower) while calcium and phosphorus are porportional in value (Calcium typically 1.3-1.7:1 to phosphorus ). Is this the same for aquarium dosing and how these properties follow eachother or is it different?

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/17/2014, 06:12 PM
No, there is no fixed relationship between the value for phosphate and the value for any other ion in seawater. Phosphate rises and falls in a reef tank based on the inputs, mostly from foods, and the exports (of which there can be many).

FWIW, serum phosphate levels in people is near and dear to my heart. I'm the co-inventor of the drugs sevelamer hydrochloride (Renagel) and sevelamer carbonate (Renvela) to treat hyperphosphatemia in patients with chronic kidney disease. :)

tkdgurl99
05/17/2014, 07:58 PM
No, there is no fixed relationship between the value for phosphate and the value for any other ion in seawater. Phosphate rises and falls in a reef tank based on the inputs, mostly from foods, and the exports (of which there can be many).

FWIW, serum phosphate levels in people is near and dear to my heart. I'm the co-inventor of the drugs sevelamer hydrochloride (Renagel) and sevelamer carbonate (Renvela) to treat hyperphosphatemia in patients with chronic kidney disease. :)

Wow! That is soo cool :-) congrats!!! I work with preemies so we don't use that drug but I've heard of it!

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/18/2014, 06:21 AM
Thanks.

Happy Reefing. :)