PDA

View Full Version : cloth in sump

Tarawa
05/18/2014, 09:45 AM
is it ok to use cotton cloths in an aquarium for things like vibration pads and to level things out?

thanks

scott3569
05/18/2014, 09:53 AM
humm what are you leveling out??I might think about maybe filter floss for a vibration pad..either one you will need to change out from time to time because it will hold nitrates.

MinnFish
05/18/2014, 12:50 PM
I would do either rubber or acrylic. Fiber floss is too soft, not a very good support. Cotton cloth will be a problem, like mention they both would become a nitrate factory. So, nothing that would require change out. One last thing you would want in your monthly maintenance plan. Good luck.

whosurcaddie
05/18/2014, 12:54 PM
You can use foam padding the kind that gets shipped with electronics. Not the white packing foam but the kind you can squeeze easily. You can just cut it to the dimensions of your pump and use it that way.

Kinda like this.
http://www.fish-street.com/images/products/editor/p3.jpg

Sacohen
05/18/2014, 01:04 PM
That looks like it would hold detritus and need to be clean frequently.
It looks just like the filter sponge I have in my sump and around the down pipe in my overflow.

I was told neoprene pads like from a wet site or the old mouse pads.

JoelA7
05/18/2014, 02:14 PM
You can buy rubber sheet in various thicknesses. Industrial supply companies have it

scott3569
05/18/2014, 03:21 PM
You can buy rubber sheet in various thicknesses. Industrial supply companies have it

if you look into something like this make sure it is food safe..so it doesn't leach phosphates

rosek007
05/18/2014, 05:07 PM
You can use foam padding the kind that gets shipped with electronics. Not the white packing foam but the kind you can squeeze easily. You can just cut it to the dimensions of your pump and use it that way.

Kinda like this.
http://www.fish-street.com/images/products/editor/p3.jpg

won't the foam build up nitrates?, If not i'm using it to dampen the water falling noise.

Tarawa
05/18/2014, 05:53 PM
I'm using a large rubber maid container for my sump, and its bottom is lumpated, and the way I have my skimmer it leans a bit. But after reading your guys' advice I swapped the cloth out for some 3/4" vinyl tubing under the skimmer and I silicon caulked several suction cups to a small acrylic plate and will have the pump on that after it's fully cured.

Thanks

whosurcaddie
05/18/2014, 07:49 PM
won't the foam build up nitrates?, If not i'm using it to dampen the water falling noise.

Anything you put under the pump to dampen the noise is going to collect waste underneath it. Go look up starboard barebottom tanks and the stuff that builds up underneath those things.

Whatever you put down there is going to have to be cleaned. the foam is not any different than the covers for vortech wet side props.