PDA

View Full Version : New build and need expert help please

HoyHoy
05/18/2014, 11:47 AM
Greetings all,
I am a newbie to the hobby and currently have a tank/sump with the following dimensions:

Tank: 120cm (L) x 60cm (H) x 50cm (W) = 95 gallons
Sump: 80cm x 40cm x 40cm = 34 gallons

I am really confused and desperate for answers for the following questions:

- How much flow the tank requires? I was thinking of 2x Hydor Koralia or Jebao 25.Each will be on one side of the tank.

- Which submersible return pump is sufficient for my build? How much GPH is required? I am willing to pay more for a quite pump since I’ll place the tank in the living room.

- Which skimmer size should I go for? I am interested in reef octopus (space saver) ones but not sure which is the best model.

- Are 2x Kessil A360W-E LEDs going to be sufficient for this tank size? Do you recommend any controllers to other than the APEX?

- Which ATO system should I get?

I really appreciate your help and support guys. Help me out please!

whosurcaddie
05/18/2014, 01:53 PM
Two wp25's will be perfect for your tank.

you want 5x total volume turnover per hour so about 700 GPH. But you need to look at head loss ratings when looking for a return pump also.

Get a skimmer that is rated for twice the size of your tank.

Kessil is a great choice and my favorite look on a reef tank. I know a lot of people speak highly of the apex. I don't have one so I cannot recommend for or against the controller.

Tunze for ATO its the best and most reliable. It uses light sensors instead of float switches and is much more reliable.

HoyHoy
05/19/2014, 08:40 AM
Thanks a lot bro for your help! Truly appreciate it. Which type of return pump do you recommend?

Looking for more input from others please.

Dmorty217
05/19/2014, 09:00 AM
Depending on what you keep (sps,LPS, softies) will dictate how much flow you need in the DT. Return pump should do 3-5xs the DT volume there are a lot of different options there and you may want to look into ehiem or a DC pump. Get a skimmer rated for 75-100g. Kessils will be fine. Tunze for a ATO without question

snorvich
05/19/2014, 11:00 AM
Two wp25's will be perfect for your tank.

you want 5x total volume turnover per hour so about 700 GPH. But you need to look at head loss ratings when looking for a return pump also.

Kessil is a great choice and my favorite look on a reef tank. I know a lot of people speak highly of the apex. I don't have one so I cannot recommend for or against the controller.

Tunze for ATO its the best and most reliable. It uses light sensors instead of float switches and is much more reliable.

Excellent advice here!

rale2001
05/19/2014, 03:30 PM
two wp25's will be perfect for your tank.

You want 5x total volume turnover per hour so about 700 gph. But you need to look at head loss ratings when looking for a return pump also.

Kessil is a great choice and my favorite look on a reef tank. I know a lot of people speak highly of the apex. I don't have one so i cannot recommend for or against the controller.

Tunze for ato its the best and most reliable. It uses light sensors instead of float switches and is much more reliable.

+1

Stolireef
05/19/2014, 03:40 PM
Depending on what you keep (sps,LPS, softies) will dictate how much flow you need in the DT. Return pump should do 3-5xs the DT volume there are a lot of different options there and you may want to look into ehiem or a DC pump. Get a skimmer rated for 75-100g. Kessils will be fine. Tunze for a ATO without question

This is good advice. I'd add that you should first decide what you'd like to keep in the tank before making flow and lighting decisions. By way of example, an SPS tank would seek the highest flow rate possible (my powerheads move about 9,000 gallons per hour in a 110 gallon tank). A mixed reef would be somewhat lower since some of the LPS corals can't handle quite that amount of flow.

Similarly, your choice of lighting should be a function of your livestock. I don't know that much about the Kessils other than that they are basically spot lights so you need to consider how much real estate they can cover in the tank. Again, if you're mostly keeping soft corals, you can get away with less intense lighting.

Controllers such as the Apex can be enormously convenient and can provide backstops against potential problems but they are expensive and can be a little difficult to set up. Plenty of successful reef keepers run without a controller.

Finally, have you considered dry plumbing your return pump rather than tossing it into your sump? It's a little harder to build it out but IMO, the results are worth the effort.

Pife
05/19/2014, 05:53 PM
For your return your pump I would consider a dc pump that can be controlled. The advice you have already gotten is great.

Ryanrttu
05/19/2014, 09:17 PM
Is the tunze ATO really that good?

The video I saw sold it well, just wasn't so sure about how the guy made it sound like the part w/the audible alarm when the the water is to high is easy to hear as if it goes off all the time. If I'm gone and that alarm goes off, then I'm screwed right?

HoyHoy
05/21/2014, 09:11 AM
Thanks all for your great help!

Golden Age
05/21/2014, 09:13 AM
Is your tank drilled or are you using an overflow box?

Dmorty217
05/21/2014, 09:46 AM
Is the tunze ATO really that good?

The video I saw sold it well, just wasn't so sure about how the guy made it sound like the part w/the audible alarm when the the water is to high is easy to hear as if it goes off all the time. If I'm gone and that alarm goes off, then I'm screwed right?

Typically the high water alarm will still be within the sump enough to contain the water in the event of a power failure and back siphoning. Obviously if water keeps going into the sump a overflow is inevitable

Ryanrttu
05/22/2014, 02:14 PM
Typically the high water alarm will still be within the sump enough to contain the water in the event of a power failure and back siphoning. Obviously if water keeps going into the sump a overflow is inevitable

Is there a backup battery that can be bought to help with power failure if in fact that does happen? Has anyone done this before? Usually power goes out and comes right back on...usually